DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   plasma burn-in still an issue? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/551345-plasma-burn-still-issue.html)

neilo13 03-10-09 07:35 AM

plasma burn-in still an issue?

I will be buying a new tv soon and have been warned about plasma burn-in from several people. I will be using this for watching tv (some of which will be 4:3), movies and playing the wii. I would say the percentages of 4:3 to movies to video games would be about 50%/25%/25%. Glare may also be an issue if it is worse than a standard tv.

So far in my research I've seen a lot of talk that burn in is not longer an issue with plasmas, and that plasma gives the best picuture, contrast, and black levels. Anyone have a recommendation or advice for me?

SoSpacey 03-10-09 07:59 AM

Re: plasma burn-in still an issue?

Originally Posted by neilo13 (Post 9316543)
Anyone have a recommendation or advice for me?

Get new friends. They are sheep.

Plasma burn-in is no longer an issue. Can you experience burn-in? Sure But you would have to try reeally really hard to do it.

I have a Panny plasma from 2 generations ago and left my TV paused overnight. I woke up the next morning, unpaused in and experienced some image retention. It went away within a few hours.

If you look at Samsung LCD manuals it warns you of burn-in. Plasma is abotu as prone to burn-in as LCD is now.

Go with the best picture and be comfortable with it. Buy a plasma.

Sdallnct 03-10-09 08:32 AM

1st. No burn is no longer an issue. As mentioned you would really have to try to burn in a modern plasma. Probably not needed, but many who buy a plasma a cautious the first 100 hours or so.

2nd. Like any display, not all Plasmas are created equal. I'm not a plasma fan, but a Panasonic, Pioneer plasma fan. Personally I think it is almost a no brainer that you should only get a Panasonic plasma if you are on any kind of a budget. If you have the funds for a Kuro, then great (and you should jump on one while available).

If you are really sold on plasma and really want to save every penny, then yea take a look at the Samsung. So just my individual opinion but only look at those three plasmas and pretty much in that order. Pioneer is an excellent unit, but a bit more $$. Panasonic is an awesome picture and a great value to boot. Other then the pioneer I believe it to be one of the better pics at any price. If you are on a strict budget and need to save every $50-$100 then look at the Samsung.

Lastly after that initial 100 or so, you will want to calibrate. There are several web sites and AVS to help if you don't want to pay to have it done.

maxfisher 03-10-09 08:38 AM

I picked up the Panasonic TH-50PZ80U over the holidays and have had some issues with image retention, but nothing lasting. It's usually if I'm playing a video game with some part of the screen remaining static. When it happens, I run the anti-burn-in feature and then turn it off and it seems to go away relatively quickly. I don't think it's a big issue, but I do think it's smart to avoid leaving something on pause for long amounts of time.

neilo13 03-10-09 10:13 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably go with a plasma then, maybe a Pioneer if I can afford it.

Not that it's going to turn me away from a plasma, but has anyone heard anything about or saw the newest LCDs with LED backlighting, it's supposed to improve the black levels. I'm just wondering how much of an improvement it really is.

BMAG 03-10-09 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by neilo13 (Post 9316869)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably go with a plasma then, maybe a Pioneer if I can afford it.

Not that it's going to turn me away from a plasma, but has anyone heard anything about or saw the newest LCDs with LED backlighting, it's supposed to improve the black levels. I'm just wondering how much of an improvement it really is.

Even the best LCDs cannot challenge a plasma when it comes to off-axis viewing. Since 25% of your use will be playing the Wii, chances are you will be standing off to the side or viewing from above your usual seated TV-watching position. I bought a Panasonic 50PZ80U two weeks ago and it is great for Wii Fit, standing around 4 feet from the screen.

timewaster 03-10-09 10:49 AM

i think the kuro (pioneer) is being discontinued. if you want one of those, i wouldn't wait too long.

paradicelost 03-10-09 07:31 PM

I just picked up a Pioneer TC-P42S1 and to me it has even better black levels than the XBR 6(which for the longest time i thought had the best I'd had seen in the two years of selling HDTVs). I work at Sears and a majority of the time we get extra money for selling Samsungs and I still push Panasonic just because after a lot of research I think they are the best(at least now that Pioneer is no longer in the game).
I just hooked my new set up last night and I love it. I popped "A nightmare before Christmas" (blu-ray) in and I have never seen that flick look that good.

Sdallnct 03-10-09 08:28 PM

I have never seen black levels that come anywhere near a well calibrated Kuro or Panasonic. The Kuro is just scary how incredible it is. But the Panasonic is fairly close if funds are an issue.

And I'd still grab a Kuro. They should be available a bit longer. Otherwise certainly not a bad move to go with the Panny.

You don't say what size you want. But you can get a 720p 50" at just incredible prices right now. And unless you are sitting 3 feet from it, you are fine with 720p. Even if you get BD.

yakuza70 03-10-09 09:11 PM

I bought a Pioneer 5020d "Kuro" 50" plasma about five weeks ago and love it. The black levels are incredible compared to LCDs, especially when watching a blu-ray DVD. The Dark Knight on Blu-ray is unbelievable! The skin tones are better than any other TV I've owned. When I watch other TVs, I get annoyed at the overblown artificial colors and skin tones - something I never really noticed until I got my Kuro.

Keep in mind a plasma will not look as bright as an LCD so if you plan on putting your TV in a brightly lit area from windows, I'd still consider a good LCD. The new backlit LED LCDs produce very good blacks (not as good as plasmas but much better than older LCDs) but are very expensive.

GenPion 03-10-09 09:24 PM

Buy a Plasma. Do some research and find what is the best you can afford. Break in your Plasma before using it for full-frame, video games, etc. It worked wonders for my HDTV which has no major issues with Burn In/Image Retention. And my TV looks wonderful. The only downside to my set is that the black levels are not as black as would be preferred. It's still an excellent TV, but that might be a cost for going with a less expensive model. If you can afford it, why not just dish out for the Kuro? I have heard nothing but excellent things about those models.

Sdallnct 03-10-09 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by yakuza70 (Post 9318221)
Keep in mind a plasma will not look as bright as an LCD so if you plan on putting your TV in a brightly lit area from windows, I'd still consider a good LCD. The new backlit LED LCDs produce very good blacks (not as good as plasmas but much better than older LCDs) but are very expensive.

In reality I don't think this is an issue, unless image quality is not at all important.

I have an LCD in a bright room. And with the draps open, it sucks. Period. Is it watchable? I guess, but terrible image.

Any and all displays benefit from light control. So if you care about image quality you must have light control regardless of display.

paradicelost 03-10-09 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct (Post 9318251)
In reality I don't think this is an issue, unless image quality is not at all important.

I have an LCD in a bright room. And with the draps open, it sucks. Period. Is it watchable? I guess, but terrible image.

Any and all displays benefit from light control. So if you care about image quality you must have light control regardless of display.

My parents own a 42inch sharp and its right in front of 70inch window and unless you close the blinds it looks like crap. And as far as burn in goes, i have a 26inch sharp and after about 6 months of use it has the black bar image burned in to the screen from leaving it on full screen. Its a couple of years old and I guess they fixed that problem on later models, but it sucks having a shadow on 1/4 of the screen.
That is one of the first things i tell my customers that "image retention"(not allowed to call it burn in) can occur on LCD's as well.

shaun3000 03-10-09 11:24 PM

I've image retention on an LCD, before, but was able to get rid of it with a moving image. The crystals basically get stuck but it's not permanent, they just need to be exercised.

Spiky 03-10-09 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by neilo13 (Post 9316869)

It depends on how it is done. If it is individual LEDs at every pixel, or various color LED solutions, those can affect black level perception. So far it is 1G tech, though. The viewing angles are worse and some other issues are present.

LCD tech does get better blacks every year, and not just because of the backlight. So has plasma, which has nearly caught up with CRT. CRT is king of black since the light source is actually off.

Spiky 03-10-09 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct (Post 9318251)

No doubt. I think people have forgotten that you can't watch a super-bright, super-inky-black, straight-up tube CRT with the sun behind you, either. There is a lumen king, and it is approximately 93 million miles from here.