Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NHT going out of business :(

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-07-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts

NHT has always made some great little speakers. They have always been one of my "usual suspect" speaker recommendations and sad to see them go.

February 23, 2009

Dear Friends of NHT,

It's time to turn down the lights: NHT is going quiet.

Over the next 60 days we're going to sell the remaining professional and consumer inventory through our existing dealers and distributors, pay our bills, and then spend time rethinking the future of NHT. However, you should know that we are not bankrupt. Everybody here is fine and no, the car didn't get hit by a train. In a way this difficult economy provided the right opportunity for the change in strategy we felt has been necessary for some time.

One thing that is for sure is that this is not about our love for or commitment to the brand. It isn't about the audio business, either. It's all about the realities of the world and how consumer attitudes are changing, and how we as a brand and an industry can best respond to the need for real invention. We're anxious to get moving. When we do, it will be in the right direction.

NHT has always stood for something more than a great speaker. Our philosophy has to do with a way of thinking – about value, about fair play, about paying attention to what matters, about integrity. For us, it's a way of life.

We have a colorful history that included our share of distractions, but we hope we have made the speaker industry a little more interesting and helped in raising the bar.

We believe March 31, 2009 is to be the last day of "regular" business, at least for now. We intend to offer customer service and repair services for both in and out of warranty, available ongoing. Keep an eye on our website (nhthifi.com) for more details and the occasional update.

Remember, this isn't good-bye, it's just "see you on the other side"

Thanks for everything!

Chris, John and the entire NHT gang

This is also a heads up on some deals. I'm actually a little tempted...but not ready to make a move yet and I wanted my next move to be KEF.

This is a good deal on the Absolute Zero's

http://www.listenup.com/NHT+Absolute...-12780358.html

Other models also marked down.

(note I freely admit I stole this information from various sources include that slicky deal site).

I have always liked NHT and thought it was worth a thread.
Old 03-07-09, 11:38 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: NHT going out of business :(

adios NHT, I hardly knew ye.
Old 03-10-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

I really hate tosee this. NHT has(d) some impressive speakers. Their "Zero" line was really something to hear coming out of something so small. They were always highly thought of in the early days of HT when DTS hit the home market.

I always put them with the likes of PSB, Boston and Atlantic Technology.

Kenny J
Old 03-10-09, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love NHT! I still have my four SuperOnes with the matching center speaker and sub for my home theater speaker set-up that I bought ten years ago. I saved like crazy to get the NHT set-up. I'm very sad to see them go. First Pioneer plasmas (I have a KURO 5020d) now NHT. Circuit City? meh.
Old 03-10-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I really hate tosee this. NHT has(d) some impressive speakers. Their "Zero" line was really something to hear coming out of something so small.
Yeah, they are the king of high-quality bookshelf speakers. I think they didn't do enough on other lines, though. The advent of 5.1 really took away many people's interest in tower speakers with built-in subs. And that was NHT's big deal recently. I came very close to owning NHT. I'd probably be happier if I had.
Old 03-15-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Wouldn't mind buying a few Classic Three's. But kinda overpriced, however.
Old 03-15-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm thinking of picking up a couple of SuperZero's for my son. He is about to go to college, and wants a "little" set up. I have an old but excellent sounding British integrated amp and Denon FM tuner that would be a good start. The only speakers I have to give him are my KEF 103.2 which I don't want to give him as they are to big and need more power.

I just don't know if will appreciate the SuperZero's. And I'd hate for him to trash them. And he may want a basic surround set up. He is use to our theater room. Which has me thinking it might be time for me to do some upgrading and give him my current set up...LOL
Old 03-19-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This makes me sad... many years later and I still love my VT-2's.