DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Suggest a rack for large collection

Old 03-02-09, 08:20 PM

Suggest a rack for large collection

Currently my collection is over 800 however I am looking for a rack that can hold approximately 500 DVD / blu rays. Price is a factor due to my lack of funds. I need something to hold me over until I can afford a proper rack. I am also open to two physical racks that can hold 500+ movies combined. Thanks and please excuse this brief post as I am posting this from a cell phone
Old 03-02-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Suggest a rack for large collection

Ikea
Overstock.com
Old 03-02-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Build your own! 1 afternoon and $50 will get you a nice rack
Old 03-02-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you can google media storage. there's a good site, but I forgot the name and I'm not at home to pull it up. Here's another site that has some good ones - now budget is a different story....how much are you wanting to spend?

http://www.mediastoragecenter.com/CD...--C237-761.htm
Old 03-03-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice large rack
Old 03-03-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Was waiting for it.
Old 03-03-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah,

As mentioned above, check the Billy at IKEA. There are some threads here that talk about them, with pictures and that.
Old 03-03-09, 04:01 PM

I have looked extensively at the Billy, however I am a little hesitant to buy one as they dont have an Ikea in Colorado. I would rather see it first as the return shipping would be killer.

I have googled extensively and there are some great solutions but none that fit my budget. That being said, I am looking to spend no more than $100-120 which limits my choices.

I am open to DIY shelves, but I have yet to find a setup that i like. Forum member LJG765 was kind enough to PM me a link and I may just end up building my own shelves. Any suggestions or pictures/instructions for a custom rack are greatly appreciated!

I found this rack at walmart, please tell me what you think.
walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10238956

I was also considering this one, but its a tad expensive.
audio-video-furniture.com/ATLANTIC-38435182-Oskar-1080-CD-Multimedia-Storage.htm#ReviewHeader

Thanks again I appreciate all responses

I
Old 03-03-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember when I lived in Colorado hoping for an IKEA to be built there! I live just down the street from it now and all of my media is on Billy bookcases. Whatever your final decision may be (not thrilled with the Walmart rack but that's just me), make sure you can find more racks of the same type over time if need be.
Old 03-03-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Link fixed
Old 03-03-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you have some windows you could do something like this. I made shelves in two window of my bar for pint glasses. I really like the look. No reason you couldn't do the same for DVD's. BTW I basically just built a giant "shadow" box with shelves the exact size of the window an set them in place (after staining). Only two screws hold them in place since all the weight is on the window sill. Then I added trim. So if I wanted to remove really shouldn't tear up the window area. Built it out of 1X4's.

And really you wouldn't have to put it in a window. It is just in a window it becomes flush. For DVD's you would probably need 1X6's so it would stick out 5.5" or so from the wall.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 03-03-09 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 10:32 AM

very nice setup!

unfortunately my HT is in the basement with rather small windows.

Forgive me, but how many DVD/blu's does the Billy Hold?

any links to custom racks are greatly appreciated!
Old 03-04-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Let me just put this out there. I've debated for a couple of years or so over the IKEA shelves. I as well have no IKEA in my area, and would have had to pay a fortune in shipping. I got my taxes this year, and sprung for it, as well as the extra shelves everyone recommends (two per bookcase).

They're really worth the money. They're quick and easy to put together, and look pretty darn nice. Just thought I'd chime in since I debated doing this for a super, super long time, and I think the money spent was well justified.

My wife never liked having the DVD's in the living room before, because the units the DVD's were in were all not uniform, and looked a bit spacious and messy. Now they're back out in the living room on the billy shelves, and my wife couldn't be happier with how it looks.
Old 03-04-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Something like this isn't bad for the price. But you would need a couple of them since they hold 400 DVD's. But only $3.00 shipping is nice. But I would compare carefully to the Ikea. They seem to be "the" favorite right now.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...?sec_iid=33969
Old 03-04-09, 01:25 PM

Hi Gilga. Since I knew my collection would be ever expanding, I invested in the stackable venture-horizon 2550 series (I hope in fact they do not stop making these but that has happened to me in the past where a model was discontinued, unfortunately.) They are very easy once to get building down to a science on and you can paint them any color if you want.

you can find them here def but there might be other places cheaper perhaps:
http://www.amazon.com/Venture-Horizo.../dp/B000RK53MI
Old 03-04-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than IKEA (Yeah I have 2 Billys too, one for books and for media (DVDs, games, Blu-ray, etc.)), my next recommendation would be to check your local Wal-Mart, Office Depot, maybe OfficeMax, and even Target, those kind of stores. You should always be able to return the racks if you don't like them. Of course check with the store before buying, but at least Wal-Mart should let you return it.
Old 03-04-09, 03:41 PM

I guess i will have to make the rounds at my local retailers first. I am really liking the venture-horizon 2550 series. Thanks for the suggestions and I will report back later after i go looking today!
Old 03-04-09, 06:49 PM

I'm not sure what is out of your price range, but I have 2 of these spinning towers and I really like them:

Leslie Dame 1040 Spinner

I think I have a 1040 and a 1480, although smaller sizes are available. The two spinners hold over 700 DVDs, TV sets, and Blu-Rays with space left over for CDs and new titles.

These can sometimes be purchased from Deep Discount for 20% off during their sale, too.

Note that those product names refer to how many CDs they hold, not DVDs.
Old 03-05-09, 09:28 AM

Boltz

Holds DVD and BD
Old 03-05-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Berkowitz View Post
Boltz

Holds DVD and BD
These are expensive and look like ass, in my opinion.
Old 03-05-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have 2 of the IKEA Billies and they hold DVDs quite nicely after you add 2 more shelves. You can add glass shelves/doors/even those little stairs on rails to personalize them as well. Good wife/girlfriend appreciation factor as well (which I would not get if I made them myself )
Old 03-05-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
I have 2 of the IKEA Billies and they hold DVDs quite nicely after you add 2 more shelves. You can add glass shelves/doors/even those little stairs on rails to personalize them as well. Good wife/girlfriend appreciation factor as well (which I would not get if I made them myself )

LOL...it's called WAF (wife acceptance factor). That is exactly why I built the shelves for my pint glasses. I kept them in my wife antique unit with all her fancy Mikasa glasses (also in the bar). And she was having a fit that it took away from her glasses. Soooo she loves the shelves just for the pint glasses....LOL
Old 03-06-09, 12:27 AM

LOL quite true,

I may be able to custom build something functional , but the WAF would be practically non existent.

SO.... I went to Walmart and Target, big waste of time!

I saw some nice bookshelves at a local furniture retailer, but they were too deep. Deep enough to hold two rows of DVD's.

Do the Billy bookcases have deep shelves or something a little more appropriate for dvd's?

I am just about sold on the Billy BTW