Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

dobly digital, surround, with my dvd rom does it matter?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

dobly digital, surround, with my dvd rom does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-00, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been wondering for a while if all these options in each dvd's audio features setup if it even matters since im running the movies through my dvd-rom into my receiver and my receiver goes into the back of my tv...with all that do I really have an option? or will each option sound the same?

I have a Pioneer VSX-455 It has the dolby 3ch logic and dolby prologic buttons on it (im not exactly sure how each works since I usually just use my simmulated surround button) I cycle through prologic, studio, then leave it on simmulated surround...it sounds the best...I use two KLH speakers..big standing ones..nothing behind so no actuall surround..my receiver has a dvd/ld input on it and button, so does that mean to get the real effects I have to have a home audio dvd player connected?

So what I am wondering is am I able to enjoy the different effects the dvd allows if I am playing them through my dvd-rom through my receiver...any responce would be appreciated..thanx
Old 04-15-00, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well in a nutshell no, it won't make any differnce.
Old 04-16-00, 12:53 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your reciever is not Dolby Digital so you wouldn't be able to get DD or DTS audio no matter what.

It's also not "Digital Ready" which would have let you buy a DVD player with a built in decoder.

So to get the full effect of all DVD audio is capable of, you'd need to buy a new receiver and the rest of the speakers (ie: you'll need 5.1 speakers, Front left/right, Rear left/right, Center, and Sub Woofer).

If you also have a hardware decoder card in your PC then it should have a coax digital out. You can connect this to a receiver with a coax digital in and you would then be able to experience the complete DVD audio experience.

By the way, I believe the dolby 3ch logic feature you referred to is actually the three DSP soundfields your unit is supposed to support. These soundfields modify the sound so that it sounds like a stadium or a concert hall or a jazz club.

I've never actully tried playing a 5.1 soundtrack to less than 5.1 speakers, but I would think if you tried to force it you wouldn't be hearing the sound being directed to the missing channels. This would require using the digital outs on the player to the digital ins on the receiver. Using the 2 channel audio outs will automatically downmix any 5.1 signal to pro logic.

You should always try to select the pro logic or 2.0 soundtrack on a DVD when available. Once you upgrade to a DD receiver, you'll start having to check for the 5.1 signal.

Hope that helps some.

------------------
-David
Other forum