Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Marantz SR7000 and a 200WPC stereo amp?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Marantz SR7000 and a 200WPC stereo amp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-00, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently, I have the following system:

Technics SAAX710 receiver
Technics SHAC500D DD/DTS decoder
Toshiba SD2108 DVD player
Sony CDPCE405 5CD changer
Paradigm Reference V.1 speakers:
Studio/60 mains
Studio/20 rears
CC-450

Over the next month or so, I would like to upgrade the receiver/decoder to one of the following:

1. Marantz SR19
2. Marantz SR7000 plus a 200WPC stereo amp
3. Entry level separates (this option would have to be delayed until sufficient funds are present; cost is 2X)

Since my Paradigms are a bit bright/crisp (+2dB in the 5-7K range), I think that a warm sounding amp would be the best match. HT/music ratio is about 60/40. Music includes all types especially classical and rock/pop (except rap).

Currently, my listening room is an apartment living room measuring 20'x10'x8' ceiling. However, this may change in the next month or two.

My budget was originally CDN$2000-$2500 (US$1300-$1700). However, I estimate that separates such as the Marantz AV9000 pre/pro plus a 5 channel power amp would cost me at least CDN$4000-$4500 (US$2700-$3000).

What do you think? Am I doing the right thing?

Right now, I am kinda leaning to Option #2. I think that it's a good inexpensive combo to meet my HT and music needs. I am more concerned about about the music side of things. Really looking for quality 2 and 5 channel music quality.

Thanks.

Dave

[This message has been edited by DavidY (edited April 12, 2000).]
Old 04-13-00, 05:58 PM

I was in similar waters about 3 weeks ago.

I test drove the Marantz AV9000 + Anthem MCA5 5ch power amp (200 x 5). I was very impressed with its DD qualities, but not as much by its on-board DAC for stereo music. However, I compared it against an Arcam Alpha 7 ($800 cdn), which is much better than the Tosh 2108 (I have that too) or your Sony changer. Therefore, you should enjoy the improvements in stereo. But I was starting higher up....

As for option #2: I would not buy a receiver + a power amp. If you have your heart on separates, go all the way. A nice pre-pro is worth the wait. Don't settle in the middle, only to long for a pre/pro later.

I'll tell you what I did. I bit the bullet I scored an Acurus ACT3 with the advance bass mgmt chip included for $2500. Then I picked up an Anthem MCA3 3 ch amp for $1270 to drive my Paradigm Ref Studio 60 v1 and a LCR-450. I am currently using an Audiolab 8000A int. amp to drive the rears (Titans). The Acurus is every bit as good if not better in DD/DTS and far better in stereo for the same price. Nowhere near as intuitive to operate, though. I spent more than I planned, but ask me if I regret it.
Old 04-13-00, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i would also agree with lush--if you are going with separates-go all the way.i had a yamaha dsp-a1 and i was using it as a preamp sound was ok but when i took home an av9000 it realy was like night and day????also why not think about used???i picked up the following used-
citation 7.1 amp(msrp 2800 for 950.00)
acurus 200x3 (msrp 1300 for 600.00)
tommy
Old 04-13-00, 07:49 PM
BEC

Not sure what you win w/a Marantz 7000 as a processor, even over a Technics 500D - very similar innards. I guess you wanted all the a/v connections? Maybe the 5 channel stereo?

Stereophile has a nice article on the sr-19(18?). The gist is "Sure, separates will be better, but maybe only 20% better for $3000(USD)more." The reviewer was a hard core separates proponent, too. I don't know where the reviewer pulled 20% from, but you certainly start paying lot's of money for incremental improvements. Maybe for you, that margin is a big deal. If that last bit is really worth it to you, go ahead. Get an Outlaw Amp or Krell. The "low end" Acurus and Cal Lab processors get good reviews. The sr-19 is still probably worth a demo - at least to measure how much you are really gaining.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited April 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited April 13, 2000).]