Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What Speakers do you Use? (2009 Edition)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough topic to search for a past thread on so I figured I would cover my ass with the "2009 Edition". I also figure that even if a thread like this existed before, it may have dramatically changed.

So I ask, what speakers are you currently using?

Do you like them?

If you have 2 set-ups, fine. But list them in order of main set-up first. And don;t feel the need to list something just because you own it..."I have some creative speakers on my computer"...

I am always curious as to what people are listening on and also like to hear some feedback on how someone likes speakers they are running. It also may be a good way for people looking to buy or upgrade to get some reviews in one section.
Old 02-18-09, 10:44 AM

Re: What Speakers do you Use? (2009 Edition)

Main:
5.1 System-
Paradigm Reference Series Millenia 200s (Front)
Paradigm Millenia 20 (center)
Paradigm Atom v.6 rear
HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub

Was originally going to purchase the Studio Series from Paradigm but due to space limitations had to take another route. Paired with the HSU sub I love these speakers. They just sound beautiful no matter what I throw at them.

Other:
Mirage Outdoor speakers

2 pairs, 1 by the pool, the other by the patio. I can't believe how good these sound for outdoor speakers. Even the bass response is amazing and there is nowhere for the waves to reflect off of.

Sonance Symphony In-ceiling Speakers

2 pairs...1 in kitchen, 1 in dining area. They sound nice. We use them mostly for background music so they never really get pushed.
Old 02-18-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Klipsch Reference 5's all the way around(Love the horns) and a Martin Logan Grotto Sub.
Old 02-18-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts

I currently have two systems.

Media room = 6.1 surround with Celestion AVP speakers including Celestion sub (see sig)
Living room = 3.1 modified set up w/Celestions AVP speakers (I'm currently looking for in ceiling speakers to add surround)

I've toyed with the idea of upgrading my sub this spring to a SVS. Still thinking about it. I really enjoy my current system. It is a "nice" sounding set up. I know it is not top of the line, but it is not bad and has served me well. Including abuse by over excited kids! I realize a SVS would significantly improve the overall sound. Still thinking....

As for how I got the Celections, We had just moved to our house and I just decided on building out a media room. Best Buy cleared out their Celestion stuff for less then 50% off. I bought one set for the living room thinking the living room would not be used for serious listening movie watching. At first I was disappointed in the sound. But then I threw out the POS Sony receiver, brought in a H/K and the speakers lit it up! Very impressive (especially for the money). I was so impressed, I bought a 2nd set for the media room along with another H/K receiver. I figured it was be a nice set to start with. Well...several years later...I'm still happy with them. Sure I'd love to upgrade (and if I did, it would be to KEF or maybe Mirage). But I still enjoy them....the sub is the really weak link. It is a little boomy for my taste and I actually probably keep it lower in output then normal.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-18-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-18-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My theater uses B&W Cinema series inwalls, 6 channels and an SVS subwoofer

My stereo/old home theater consists of B&W CM4's, B&W center, Boston sub and NHT surrounds.

I am a big fan of B&W speakers
Old 02-18-09, 12:18 PM

Main 5.1 Setup:
Infinity Primus PC350
Infinity Primus P362
Infinity Primus P162
Elemental Designs A2-300

Secondary 3.1 Setup:
Yamaha NS-AP480 Satellite Speakers
tSc ASW-10

I like the main setup way better than the secondary setup of course. No complaints whatsoever with both.

Last edited by blued888; 02-18-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-18-09, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by blued888
Main 5.1 Setup:

Elemental Designs A2-300
you must frequent blu-ray.com...

it is a great sub. they just pimp it way to much on that site. it almost feels like HTF with their pimping of SVS a few years back.
Old 02-18-09, 01:15 PM

I just ordered this Mirage Nanosat set. They sounded great in the demo room. Anybody have any experience with these?
Old 02-18-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have listened tot he Mirage Nano's several...make that many a time. I really enjoy them. I'm not as keen on the sub that comes with the system. Again...to me the bass is not tight, but rather boomy. Now some may argue that is a result of the port design or that is the way it should sound. But I'm not a fan of that particular "sound" in a sub. I find it difficult to blend the sub in with the rest of the system when it is that way and tend to turn it down.

But I am impressed, very impressed with the speakers them self. Especially for the size.

I will tell you tho, they can use a lot of clean power. I would not skimp on the receiver/amp.
Old 02-18-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7.0 setup - 2 Paradigm Monitor 7s, a Paradigm center, and four of the Paradigm dipole surrounds. I am still going to pick up the Ultracube 10 inch sub at some point.
Old 02-18-09, 03:23 PM
Suspended

I have a 7.1 setup.

Polk Audio RTi10 up front
CSi5 Center
4 R50 towers in surround duty
AV123 MFW15 subwoofer.
Old 02-18-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

So I ask, what speakers are you currently using?

I have a 5.1 setup, all PSB - Images l/r upfront, Alpha center and Alpha surrounds - along with the SubSeries 5 subwoofer.

Do you like them?

Love them. Have had them for a few years, and I don't see the need to upgrade any time soon. The price was very reasonable, and the sound quality is excellent - big, loud and deep.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 02-18-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-18-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

7.1 theater setup.
Klipsch Reference 3 all around. (for sale)
SVS PB2+ with v12.3 drivers.

Love the horns for theater usage. But considering upgrade. SVS doesn't need an upgrade.
Old 02-18-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub
Pioneer dvd play for SACD(DSD) and dvd-audio
Onkyo 876
Everything HDMI

Sound is beyond amazing. I got lucky few times sold star wars galaxy account for $4020, bought the fronts and center. Then sold WOW Grand Marshal Mage account for $1200. Finished off speakers. Just recently upgraded the reciever , sound card, and dvd player for sacd and dvd-audio.
Old 02-18-09, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I have listened tot he Mirage Nano's several...make that many a time. I really enjoy them. I'm not as keen on the sub that comes with the system. Again...to me the bass is not tight, but rather boomy. Now some may argue that is a result of the port design or that is the way it should sound. But I'm not a fan of that particular "sound" in a sub. I find it difficult to blend the sub in with the rest of the system when it is that way and tend to turn it down.

But I am impressed, very impressed with the speakers them self. Especially for the size.

I will tell you tho, they can use a lot of clean power. I would not skimp on the receiver/amp.
Thanks for your response.
Old 02-18-09, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Holysmoker

I just ordered this Mirage Nanosat set. They sounded great in the demo room. Anybody have any experience with these?
I love the speakers and, like sdallnct, don't like the sub. Anytime someone mentions Bose to me, I tell them to go demo these. I feel like they took the concept of the Bose (size) but made an actual good speaker set-up. My buddy just installed these in a 12 x 14 living room and they sound quite nice. He only had them for a week so they haven't really broken in yet although I don't think these speakers require much break-in.

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
7.0 setup - 2 Paradigm Monitor 7s, a Paradigm center, and four of the Paradigm dipole surrounds. I am still going to pick up the Ultracube 10 inch sub at some point.
Do you have a size issue? I never heard that sub in anything but a store and from what I have read there is better options for that fairly hefty price tag. It sounded good to me, just never went too deep. I think there are subs out there that are just as tight and fast, but get deeper.
Old 02-18-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

5.1 setup: ATI 1505 amp, Integra DTC 9.8 pre-pro, Paradigm Studio 100 v2, CC450, KEF Q60's, PW2200 sub. I tried studio 20's recently but oddly enough, my 15+ y/o Q60's still sound better.
Old 02-19-09, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
you must frequent blu-ray.com...

it is a great sub. they just pimp it way to much on that site. it almost feels like HTF with their pimping of SVS a few years back.
I actually hang out at the AVS Forums a lot, not Blu-ray.com. Don't have any BDs. Been collecting DVDs only.

I'm from the Philippines which means I had to import the thing, cost me an additional $70 to ship it here. Was initially looking at the offerings by SVS but they would cost me around $200 more so I ultimately went with the eD A2-300.

Total cost was still cheaper than getting something like a Velodyne CHT-12R here. The Velodyne would cost almost twice as much as the eD. And I think the eD would simply crush the Velodyne in terms of output and extension.

Surprisingly, SVS has partnered with someone here to form a local distributor of SVS products for the Philippines. Definitely a good thing for us A/V enthusiasts here.
Old 02-19-09, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Pol Audio R150s and CSR center
connected to Onkyo TX SR606
Old 02-19-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cheap ones. Right now I have the Sony Bravia 5.1 system. It works for all of my purposes.
Old 02-19-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just recently picked up a 5.1 system on the cheap.

Energy RC-30's up front
Energy RC-10's for surround
Energy RC-LCR center
Energy S10.3 subwoofer

I'm very impressed with them, especially at the price paid.

My longtime 2 channel speakers are the Tyler Linbrook Signatures.
Old 02-19-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a 5.1 setup now, leaving the way open for a 7.1 system in the future. You know, when I have *extra* money.

Mains: Klipsch RF-82 x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-52
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42 x 2. I'll go to x 4 when the time is right.
Subwoofer: Klipsch RW-10d

This is coming from a 5.1 satellite speaker Eosone system which was great for apartment life, but I wanted to have a bit more fun when I got into my home. I am very happy with my setup.
Old 02-19-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

(F) Paradigm Monitor 7
(C) Paradigm CC-370 (or 350)
(S) Paradigm Titans

I got this package in Canada when the exchange rate was around 65% and saved quite a lot of money - I'm from the states.

They have limitations (imaging and certain frequencies come across as "chesty" on my center speaker) but for the eight years I've owned them I have no real complaints, especially considering what I paid.

I believe the front/center array were all version 2 (second generation) speakers and I'd like to find out if they've improved upon some of the weaknesses. But I would definitely entertain the thought of going with Paradigm again - an upgrade to the Studio line up.
Old 02-19-09, 02:05 PM

I have a 5.1 set up(for now since I don't have the room for 7.1):
speakers are you currently using?

Monitor Audio GS20's (fronts)
Monitor Audio GS Center
Monitor Audio GS10's (surround's)
Epik Caliber Sub
(We have another pair of GS10's for rear surrounds on-the-ready for 7.1)

Do you like them?

WE LOVE these speakers, And IMO I would have to spend alot more money to hear anything much better. They are more known as musical speakers but very underrated when it comes to HT.
We auditioned many speakers over several months and IMO Monitor Audio are one of the best hidden jewels for their price point. Did we hear better? Yes but for a lot higher price and the difference wasn't no where near worth it.
If your on a budget(like most people are right now) we had 2 pairs of GS10's,GS center matched up with the Epik Caliber sub and that was GREAT set up.
We would not have changed that set up but my fiance and I (more her than me,believe it or not ) have always wanted GS20's and came upon a deal we could not pass up.
I doubt we will ever change speakers but you have to remember speakers are a subjective topic,so what sounds good to us may not sound good to others(or as good).
I will say if you can take your g/f,wife(female), I would since females have better hearing than men do
Old 02-19-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
I I doubt we will ever change speakers but
First I'm a serious, serious Monitor fan. Not quite as much as KEF, but I have emotional ties to KEF (they were my first ever "high end" speaker"). But I just love Monitor.

Second....I wish more people, especially those starting out, or starting to upgrade their system would take note of what you said about never changing speakers. I have said this over and over, good speakers NEVER go out of style. There will always be the next cool receiver, next cool audio format, next cool source, etc, etc.....but get a good pair of speakers and they can literally last forever, and you won't ever have to upgrade them.

I mentioned that KEF were the first high end speaker I bought. I bet I bought them 25 years ago. KEF 103.7 in Rosewood. I still have them. And you know what, they sound awesome!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.