DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Speaker matching - rears and fronts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/549757-speaker-matching-rears-fronts.html)

thundergod 02-11-09 07:52 PM

Speaker matching - rears and fronts

Been a while since I posted on this forum, but from some of the more home theatre experts, how important is it really to have a match of rear speakers to the front? (I have a Diamond 9.3 and Diamond 9cm for the fronts).

I am not able to have the exact same speaker as rears as as the idea of mounting a bracket for another pair of diamond 9s really doesn't quite appeal to me (not to mention the cost of a reasonably good brackett), and where I live, the speakers are very expensive now, so I am working on a budget looking for bargains.

As much as I research to find a definite answer, and as far as I am aware, if its music listening in surround, then the speakers should match, if its watching movies, it may not matter as much.

Now am I correct that as long as the main 3 speakers at the front are a good match for home theatre point of view, that is all that is needed as a minimum? I listen to music as well but only in 2 ch mode. ( I just don't like listening to my music cds in surround mode, it just doesn't sound right to me)

I am sure there are many that who have HT setups, their rears don't match, and maybe a completely different brand or series.

But when it comes to 5.1 listening, unless I am mistaken, the rears are not used that often, which is probably why matching the rears to the fronts is really not that important?

Like to hear from others.

shaun3000 02-11-09 09:10 PM

Re: Speaker matching - rears and fronts

It's all up to how pick you are. If your rear speakers don't match the fronts then they won't sound the same. You may notice it or you may not. Generally speakers from the same manufacturer will sound fairly close. Speakers from the same product line are almost always matched.

Spiky 02-11-09 09:26 PM

I didn't like it. Much happier with matching.

Sdallnct 02-11-09 10:17 PM

Look at it this way....

suppose you are watching Top Gun in wonderful DTS or maybe on BD in lossless. Maverick flies by over your head from behind left, then front left and then front right. As his jet moves from back to front the sound of Maverick jet will change because you have different speakers.

One of my favorite "show off" scenes is in the 2nd Matrix. The Key Maker is running from the Twins and he runs down the hall with doors slaming open. You can distinctly hear him running from the front to back behind. The running/steps and doors would sound different from front to back since you have different speakers.

Is that a big deal to you? Will you notice unless you are really listening for it? Do you care if others might notice? Does it really take anything away from the movie experience? That is all personal preference.

Spiky 02-11-09 10:58 PM

Could probably mention this, on Bluray they seem to be using the surrounds more and more.

thundergod 02-11-09 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9261259)
Could probably mention this, on Bluray they seem to be using the surrounds more and more.

I don't have blu ray.

Reason being is that for starters my TV cannot do HDMI.

thundergod 02-11-09 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by shaun3000 (Post 9261032)
It's all up to how pick you are. If your rear speakers don't match the fronts then they won't sound the same. You may notice it or you may not. Generally speakers from the same manufacturer will sound fairly close. Speakers from the same product line are almost always matched.

When you say product line, do you also mean exact specific type of speaker, like for example having all speakers exact same model?

shaun3000 02-12-09 12:17 AM

No. Speaker Company has three product lines; A, B, and C. Product line A has speaker A1, A2, A3, B has B1, B2, etc. Get it?

thundergod 02-12-09 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by shaun3000 (Post 9261373)
No. Speaker Company has three product lines; A, B, and C. Product line A has speaker A1, A2, A3, B has B1, B2, etc. Get it?

I thought that is what you meant, but just wanted to be sure. Cheers.

Sdallnct 02-12-09 09:02 AM

If your front speakers are unavailble or more expensive then you want, then I would e-mail your speaker company and ask them for suggestions. They should be able to help you out as to what other speakers might closely match your fronts and CC.

thundergod 02-21-09 01:51 AM

Well after taking everything into account. I matched everything up to as much as a close I can. My rear surrounds are the diamond 9.1

So I think all in all, its a good match for my fronts.