Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Post your "HOrror" stories about your Toshiba SD-6109C!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Post your "HOrror" stories about your Toshiba SD-6109C!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-00, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm starting to see a number of people that are having problems with the Toshiba SD-6109C. Also it looks like a lot of people got returned or refurbished units from "Stereo Advantage" who ships the units out for Accompany.com. Now I'm sure this is not their fault since these units are coming from Toshiba itself. But there seems to be a high failure rate or problems poping up with these units. Here is my "Horror" story.

I purchased the my first Toshiba SD-6109C on the 28 of Dec, shipped to a friend on the mainland, since at the time they did not offer shipping to Hawaii, and she received it on the 3rd of Jan. She shipped the Toshiba Sd-6109C out to me and I received it a few weeks later.

It was shipped doubled boxed but when I opened the outer box and looked at the box the Toshiba SD-6109C was in it looked liked it had been opened. The box had been taped and the staples were smaller. But after removing the unit it looked brand new and all manuals and accesories were in sealed plastic bags. I did noticed the S-video cable was missing from the box. The unit had a card board with all features listed on it stuck to the top of the unit. I took the unit out of the box and set it up. The unit worked for 2 days and than just died. Could not get no sound, from the speakers. Everything else worked but nothing were coming out of the 6 Paradigm speakers.

I than went through the hassle of trying to get a replacement. I called Toshiba of Hawaii first and they were no help. Contacted Accompany and got the run around for 3 weeks that a RMA# was being sent to me along with a Mail Return label. After 3 weeks of going back and forth they told me to contact "Stereo Advantage" and they would take care of it. Why I would have to do this I not sure I would think this is their job. But I did email the contact person from "Stereo Advantage" since I could not get through to their 1-800 number. He gave me instructions on where and how to ship the defective unit back to him. I did and a day after he received the unit he shipped me another one.

Now the 2nd Toshiba SD-6109C arrives and this comes packaged the same way. The box the Toshiba SD-6109C comes in is taped and the staples are smaller than the original. Take the unit out of the box, all the manuals and accesoires plastic bags are "TAPED" shut. This time I do get an S-video cable, but the unit power cord was unwraped and there is a 3 rd battery laying on bottom the box. No card board with features listed attached to the top of the unit. Unit does look new though. Ok I set this unit up and everything works. But when I turn the unit on again all the setting for speaker level are back to "0". I read the manual and it says you must set them with the "test tone" button everytime you change them. Well guess what the test tone button on the remote does not work. So every time you turn on the unit you have to manually set the speaker levels either from the unit itself or the remote. I'm not sure if the problem lies with the unit itself or the remote. I contacted "Toshiba Hawaii" and they say I can bring it in but they will charge me shipping to have it replaced. I am not going through Accompany.com since I am still trying to get my shipping charge refunded for me having to ship the first unit back. What a hassle, I believe Toshiba is having a large failure rate with these units and are fixing them and repackaging them back up and selling them as new units.

Even though this is a minor problem with this unit I will probably just get a different unit and give this one to my parents or kids to have. This unit just doesn't have enough inputs and not enough power for me. In fact the first unit sounded way better to me than this unit does.

Now I'm not knocking Accompany.com because this is the first item I have brought from them that I have had a problems with. The other 8 items I have purchased from them have had no problems so far. My only problem is how they handled the return shipping problem. My biggest beef is with "Toshiba America" for selling refurbished products as new products.

Kahuna UN -

[This message has been edited by kahuna (edited March 14, 2000).]
Old 03-14-00, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kahuna,
I've been following your story from the beginning. It's too bad you have had these problems. I think I ordered from the first cycle from Accompany. Mine was double boxed but I didn't notice if it looked resealed. I didn't really know to watch out for it then like we all know now. But now that I think about it I did not get an S-video cable. But I didn't know I should and didn't look for one since my tv then didn't have one. Now I use component with my new tw40x81 coming next week! But I haven't had any problems with the 6109 (if I do I'll upgrade to the 5109 I think). My only complaint about it (besides the remote) was the sticket that came on it listing all the features. When I took that off it left a mark that is still there that won't come off. Again I too am not blaming Accompany for anything. However I would like to add that the 6109 hasn't been out that long (especially when I received mine and you your first one). How could they be refurbished, broke, sent back, fixed, re packaged, all before we bought them. We bought these in the beginning, or atleast I thought so. I thought it was just double boxed by the shipper for better shipping and maybe in the first few shipments Toshiba "forgot" about the S-video cable?!

------------------
MY DVD TRACKER LIST
Old 03-14-00, 07:37 PM

I'm having problems with a high pitched hum on the tv input of the 6109. This occurs when no inputs are connected, which leads me to believe that the noise is generated somewhere inside the reciever. On all the other inputs (dvd/video1/video2) it is silent.

Another problem is a lower pitched hum when I hook up the tv input to the reciever. The hum can be hear despite making the connection to any of the inputs (TV/Video1/Video2). The hum can be heard even if the current input is not selected. For example, I can hook the tv up to the tv input. But when I am watching a dvd, selecting the dvd input I can hear the hum. If I disconnect the tv input the hum will disappear. The hum seems to affect the entire reciever. This might be a tv out problem though so i'll have to do more testing.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed with the 6109. It does everything I need (and is loud enough) but the hum bugs me.

Old 03-14-00, 10:43 PM
Cool New Member

I am new for audio equipments. but I was told that if a receiver has no speakers connected to them. Never turn the speaker output on. Because the output has no speakers to absorb. It will burn the receiver. Is that true? Because I have the 6109c, but my speakers has not arrived yet. So I am not planning to configure the speaker setup on the receiver yet.
Old 03-14-00, 11:03 PM

hmmm..I too also bought the SD6109C...during the most recent cycle

My box was resealed too, but everything has been working fine. I haven't hooked up a sub yet...still need to get one at a decent price. I like the fact that I can use my tv speakers as the center speaker. Saved me about $150.

But if anythiing goes wrong, I will demand that Accompany issues a UPS CALL TAG and they pay for shipping! If they give me static, they'll get a big azz CC dispute!!!!
Old 03-14-00, 11:09 PM

I purchased the 6109C from Accompany in the first cycle and when it arrived there were clearly signs that it had been previously opened - and s video cable was missing. It turned out to be a lemon - similar problems as documented by Kahuna - and I sent it back to Stereo Advantage who, in turn, sent me another unit. This unit, as well, was not factory sealed and, again, was missing the s video cable and had that cardboard "feature list" advertisement attached. I suspected it was either a refurbished unit or a floor sample. In any event, this unit worked fine for three weeks and just went dead! I suspect the power supply. Haven't hooked up with Stereo Advantage yet but I am not confident that the third time will be a charm. Given the great price on these units I would conclude they are all refurbished or floor samples and whoever did the refurbishing did not do such a great job.
Old 03-15-00, 01:27 AM

I just bought two 6109c units from the last buy cycle at Accompany and have also noted similar problems. Both boxes had been opened and resealed (one didn't even have new tape over the flaps). There were fingerprints and slight surface scratches on the display windows. As noted by Kahuna they also had the smaller staples joining the box flaps. One was also missing the S video cable. I have written Accompany asking for an explanation of their history. If these are not new products (refurbished or display models) they are misrepresenting what they are selling and in violation of any number of consumer protection laws. I'll post an update when I get a reply from Accompany,
Old 03-15-00, 01:46 AM

Just for reference I did recieve my s-video cables.
Old 03-15-00, 02:10 AM

Wow..didn't know so many people had so many problems with Toshiba6109C. I ordered this also through ACCOmpany and man..The channel out to the sub works. So i can't get any sub sound at all! That sucks!...i'm gonna take it into a service dealer to have it looked at it

Old 03-15-00, 05:09 PM
alanbenson

quote:<HR>...the test tone button on the remote does not work. So every time you turn on the unit you have to manually set the speaker levels either from the unit itself or the remote. I'm not sure if the problem lies with the unit itself or the remote...<HR>
Interesting. I thought my remote was broken for this function for the first month that I had the machine.

Take a second, fresh look at this admittedly gawd-awful remote control. Unlike ALL the other labels on the remote, which are placed ABOVE the referenced button, three of the four RED LABELS for these speaker levels are placed BELOW the button in question.

If you're like me, you were simply pressing buttons which were one row too low! Sounds dumb, I know, but if you glance at the remote you'll understand: I'm SURE I'm not the only one who has misunderstood this clumsy labeling...

In the (perhaps unlikely) case that this IS what's happening with other people as well, I DO hope any of you will post again and let us know. I really think the 6109c machine is getting a bad rap.<small>

[Edited after I got home to correct the label color and placement...]

[This message has been edited by alanbenson (edited March 15, 2000).]
Old 03-15-00, 05:46 PM

hmmm.... the speaker test tone on my remote works
Old 03-15-00, 09:02 PM

I got my 6109 from 800.com and have had absolutely no problems at all with it.
Old 03-15-00, 09:21 PM

rlabarge,

do you remember if your box was factory sealed or if it looked re-sealed?
Old 03-16-00, 12:36 AM

My 6109 was definitely resealed (well it's technically Vstore's now!). The staples were ripped out, but still hanging on, and the box had at least three tape jobs done to it (with different types of tape). When I opened the box all looked new, but the bags were just taped shut as in other posts. When I unwrapped the unit from the foam cover, a small piece of broken plastic and a loose screw fell out. "That was odd" I thought, but let it pass. Then I tried out the unit and all the RCA jacks were messed up. The main video was OK, but the audio went out over Aux/Video 1 (forget the label, but the one directly under the main outs). The Aux/video 1 would not work at all. Didn't bother trying out the rest.

Vstore tried to tell me that the box "must have been opened accidentally during shipping". Right, and I'm a monkey's uncle! I also have a 3109 and I don't recall seeing any tape, just the normal large staples.

I believe this may be a simple return which was re-shipped. I don't think a refurb could have been so messed up.
Old 03-16-00, 03:00 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by rlabarge:
I got my 6109 from 800.com and have had absolutely no problems at all with it.<HR>

I'll second this. My 6109 from 800.com has been great. It was double-boxed, but was definetly a brand new unit with the factory seal. Nothing was missing inside.

I may have paid a bit more for mine than most ($500), but that included free shipping and $75 in free DVD's, and 800.com's service was excellent.
Old 03-16-00, 01:39 PM

I also have the problem with the low-pitched hum emitting from the receiver even when no inputs are active OR connected, but I've actually had this problem with another receiver (Harmon Kardon), and there was some simple fix. Any audiophiles want to address this one?

(And on the subject of refurb, the 6109c is a pretty disappointing unit (no digitial audio out, won't output DTS signals on analog jacks), and my shipment from accompany looks new, but had the really annoying feature card stuck to the front. It DID come with the S-Video cable, though._
Old 03-16-00, 03:07 PM

So what was the "simple fix?"
Old 03-16-00, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nyquil:
hmmm.... the speaker test tone on my remote works<HR>

Well the "test tone" button work on the remote that came with the first unit but like I said it died after 2 days.

The "test tone" button on the remote that came with the 2nd unit does not work. So I'm not sure if it's the remote or something in the unit that is bad. What a hassle of having to set the channel levels eveytime you turn it on.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Black Fire:
(And on the subject of refurb, the 6109c is a pretty disappointing unit (no digitial audio out,<HR>

I have to agree this was a major disappointment to me also. I had to break out my Toshiba SD-3109C I had boxed up in the closet so I could use the Digital Out to record to the Sharp MD-MT15(s)minidisc player/recorder I got from Accompany.

Kahuna

Old 03-16-00, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 choices, listed in order of simplicity:

1) Use a cheater plug (3 to 2) to reverse the polarity on the power cord

2) Get a ground loop isolator (Radio Shack, I think)

3) Get an extension cord and try a different wall outlet

4) Hire an electrician (or DIY) and work on your house's electrical system

-S
Old 03-17-00, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am not too happy with 6109 either, mine burned out 3 days after i got it. It started shutting off every 5 min or so while i was watching a DVD movie with volume dial at about 40+/-.
Now it just does not turn on at all. Anyone expereince simillar problem???
I am hoping i just got a lemon,...Acompany is sending another one out to me.
Old 03-19-00, 05:21 PM

oraphus...you're not the only one. Mine also shuts off after a while too. I was watching "stirs of echo" and all of a sudden it shut off. I tried it again at the exact same point...it does did it again.

My freaking subwoofer output still doesn't work. ARGG..i'm gonna contact Accompany right now!
Old 03-20-00, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just an update,...
I got my replacement sd6109c player. Everything seems to work fine now, although the box looked like it was restapled with smaller staples. The shutoff problem has something to do with volume.
anyway, hope you all are having better luck with your replacements units too, but if this one goes bad too, i am just asking for my money back... it might just be a low quality receiver.
Old 03-20-00, 02:26 PM

Ok I have left my SD6109C on for 72 straight hours now (with the Matrix playing on repeat)...now problems yet
Old 03-20-00, 04:12 PM

I know what is going wrong when it auto shuts off...it happened to me

I verified it with Toshiba

most likely you have a speaker very very close to the reciever...in fact so close that the reciever's processor is getting magnetic interferance and auto shuts off

rememdy MOVE ANY SPEAKERS OR ANYTHING CAUSING MAGNETIC INTERFERANCE AWAY FROM YOUR MACHINE

(this originally happened ot me when my center channel which is mag sheilded even was too close to the reciever....moved it away...walla perfection)

DM

Sidenote
I have never had any problems (other than the one I mentioned now but that doesn't bother me...my tv is the same way)
I have ordered 3 6109's two 3109's and 3 2109's through Accomapny (nothing was sold on ebay...all for family/friends)

Old 03-20-00, 10:47 PM
Cool New Member

Wow! Thanks DeadMilkman. That was exactly my problem. It would only operate for a couple of minutes with the unit on top of my large speaker playing at lower volumes. When the volume was turned up it would turn off the unit presumably because the magnetic field expanded. I wonder if Toshiba has ever heard of shielding?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.