DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Is Comcast cutting their analog feed on the 17th? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/549237-comcast-cutting-their-analog-feed-17th.html)

Snowmaker 02-04-09 11:43 AM

Is Comcast cutting their analog feed on the 17th?

My dad had a Comcast tech out at his house over the weekend and the guy told him that any analog TV connected directly to the cable without a box will not work. He said this is one of the big things the news media is not telling people.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I cannot find anything about it online.

kaze0 02-04-09 11:50 AM

Re: Is Comcast cutting their analog feed on the 17th?

A while ago I heard that Comcast was planning on doing a switchover to digital around the same time as the real digital switch. It still works as of now though.

Snowmaker 02-04-09 12:05 PM

That would suck. I have 6 TVs, 3 of which are analog and connected directly to cable with no box.

Marji 02-04-09 08:45 PM

My husband is a Headend Engineer with Comcast, and he verified that they are NOT doing away with analog at this time in our area. He has heard that California is starting their process for moving to an all-digital format. Eventually, they will all be moving to all digital, but at this time, they are a long way away from being able to convert everyone. He recommends calling your local Comcast Help Desk and verifying through them.
More than likely, the technician that came out was trying to sell him an upgrade in services. :)

JeffTheAlpaca 02-05-09 02:42 AM

This was in the newspaper today

if you only get the local channels with no expanded basic you won't be affected for now in CA.

they are starting it in Pleasanton and Santa Rosa before progressing to other cities.

Gil V 02-05-09 06:01 AM

Federal law prevents cable companies from ending analog service for a few more years. Info with details should be readily available online.

Gil

Snowmaker 02-05-09 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Marji (Post 9245762)
More than likely, the technician that came out was trying to sell him an upgrade in services. :)

That's what I was thinking too.

RichC2 02-05-09 08:39 AM

Yeah, they make a point of saying "If you are connected to cable, you don't have to worry about this switcharoo." during the advertisements.

Comcast is already running all the channels in Digital (in the 400 range) which is great...they look so much better than the analog equals.

Spiky 02-05-09 08:58 AM

They will likely have to provide boxes for free when they switch. But it was already commented, there is another timeframe for analog cable.

Interestingly, DirecTV keeps sending me emails like this:

SAY GOODBYE TO ANALOG
The nation is going digital soon. Because you already enjoy 100% digital programming from DIRECTV, you don't need to worry about a thing. If you still have questions about the digital transition, you can learn more at directv.com.
You'd think Comcast would also want to reassure their customers instead of trying to trick them. Guess not.

Snowmaker 02-05-09 09:54 AM

Well, we now have 4 more months anyway because of the bill passed yesterday.

Spiky 02-05-09 11:53 AM

Shit, I can't believe politicians. What a waste of taxpayers' money.