Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with my DD surround processor...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help with my DD surround processor...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-00, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello.

I have a Sony SDP-E800 dolby digital surround processor and I have a question. Within the setup of the unit you can select the size of your speakers. Large if the speaker can play the full freq response range or small if it is a smaller speaker that doesn't play the real low freqs.

Does anyone know where within the freq response range that it cuts the low end off when selecting small?

Another words, with the small setting selected for say the center cahnnel and surrounds does the processor essentially send data that is 70Hz-20kHz to the center and surround speakers with the rest of the lower data (20Hz-69Hz) to the subwoofer.

I am trying to figure out if I am missing any sound information because of a gap that is there when I select the small setting. Because my center speaker only plays down to about 60-70Hz at -3dB while my surround speakers only play down to 70Hz at -3dB. So if selecting small redirects the sound info that is 70Hz or less to the sub I am OK, if it sends the sound info that is 50Hz and below to the sub then there would be about a 20Hz gap that I never hear.

I have read the manual thorougly but to no avail, all it says is select the small setting if you have small speakers or select the large setting if the speakers will play the full freq response range. I even contacted Sony to see if they knew, but the guy I got didn't really have a clue to what I was trying to get at. Could have been an inability of me to explain what I need to know but I thought I was being clear.

Hopefully this will make sense to someone here because I would really like to know.

Thanks for your help in advance.

wrath
Old 03-30-00, 07:14 PM

Searching their website I found nothing, but most crossovers are above 80 hz. I would expect about 100hz, but that's just a guess.

I doubt that your missing anything, but if the unit has a pro-logic mode then you can easily test to see what the crossover is. Simply play a test disc (cd) with a frequency sweep in pro-logic and listen for a "gap" in the playback. You could also turn off your sub to get an idea of the exact crossover.
Old 03-31-00, 09:21 AM

Hey thanks a lot. It didn't even occur to me to use a test disc.

I knew that someone here would be able to help me out. Thanks again daledude.

wrath
Old 04-02-00, 09:34 PM

I believe the cutoff is 110 Hz.

------------------
Old 04-03-00, 11:07 AM

Thanks. Looks like I was worried for nothing. I just couldn't stand wondering if I was missing some of the audio because I wasn't using a full range speaker. Looks like I am alright. Thanks again.

wrath