Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How much for DTS decoded reciver and good speakers to hear the power of DTS

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How much for DTS decoded reciver and good speakers to hear the power of DTS

Old 03-08-00, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need to know a recieve that is not too much but will have a good DTS decoder inside so i can start with the DTS sound.

i also need a center and two side speakers so it sounds great.

so what does everyone recommend if i need something else to make the sound good let me know, thanks!!

dr dvd
Old 03-08-00, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of the new receivers in the $350+ range will have DD/DTS decoders and will give you the truely oustanding DTS experience. Sony. Yamaha, Pioneer, Technics, Denon are all brands to consider. *Note: You should make sure you DVD player can output a DTS bitstream or you will not be able to play DTS even with a DTS built-in receiver. The easiest way to determine if the DVD player can pass-on a DTS bitstream is to look for the DTS emblem on the DVD player. If it has it your all set if not then you will need a new DVD player as well.

Also note that you will need full size speakers in the front and rears if you want to get the full benefit of DTS. By full size I mean 2-way/3-way floor speakers with at the very least 10" woofers. DTS tends to play a lot more full range audio to the rear speakers thus the need to have the full size rears. Simply redirecting the low end to the sub is not going to do it as most low end (Hz.) audio is directional until you get to 60Hz or so and does not sound normal for sound meant to be eminating from the left or right rear to be coming from the sub in front (or where ever you have the sub).
Old 03-10-00, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just went through what your going through. I had a Sony STR-DE 665 for two years. This is a Pro-Logic Receiver. When I finally bought my DVD player, I took about a month and did a lot of research on good DD/DTS receivers in that price range. I had it narrowed down to two.

First of all, stay away from Sony at that level. That price range, all sony is is features.

If you want a great receiver, I bought the Yamaha 595a. Most places have it for 500, I picked it up for 400 at a NYC J&R Music World. If you want more features (DSP's) then get the 795a, which has 21 DSP's compared to 11. The 795a is about $650. The power differnece is only 15 watts/. The 595a is 70 watts/channell as opposed to 85/ in the 795a. But beleive me, you wont hear the defference. I listen to music loud and have never put it more than halfway. Yamaha has the best Home Theatre sound in that range, period.

A very close second is the Onkyo. I forget the model number, but its about the same price as the Yamaha. Also, has DTS, but has less features on it. If you get the Onkyo you really should get the one that retails at $700. If not, you lose out on upgradablity, S-Video inputs, and Optical inputs. Its more of a bare bones receiver that sounds awesome.

My opinion, go with the Yamaha 595a in that price range. It's DD, DTS and has the best cinema sound. In terms of speakers, listen to the last guy, I think I rambled enough already.

Let me know if you read this so I dont feel like I wasted all my time.

------------------
-Joe
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
MyDvdList
Old 03-11-00, 01:09 AM

hey guys thanks a lot!! one more question, i have a DD decoder in my dvd player already can you get ones that are just DTS??let me know
Old 03-11-00, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No they come with either DD or DD/DTS. I would recommend you get a receiver with the decoders built-in. The ones built into the DVD's are never as good as the ones built into receivers. Plus having the decoder in the receiver gives you more flexibility for decoding from other sources like Satellite receivers and Laserdisc players.
Old 03-11-00, 10:11 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Yamaha HTR-5150 receiver? For those who own it, what speakers do you have? I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-00, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Frank S, while you may be correct in a way, I don't really think it is absolutely essential that your fronts and rears be quite as gargantuan speakers as you recommend to get a good benefit from DTS discs. I believe the key here is to use full range rear speakers (well and fronts too obviously) able to handle fairly low frequencies as opposed to the satellites that a lot of people are using for the rear surrounds. So say Bose rears (fronts too) are definitely gonna be pretty inadequate for DTS compared to a decent full-range speaker.

I have Infinity RS2s (I think 40-20,000 hz) for rears and a BU120 sub set to 70 for the crossover. Not monster rears like you describe but DTS discs definitely sound better to me. I dunno, DTS would almost sound better to me on ANY setup although there are definitely diminishing returns. DTS just always seems mixed much better and there are extra details you can hear even if you don't have the world's best speakers.
Old 03-26-00, 04:20 AM
Cool New Member

csehgal:
Yammy HTR-5150 is identical to the RX-V595A
I just learned that.
Old 03-26-00, 07:31 AM

Doesn't the Panasonic A320 DVD Player have a DTS decoder?
Old 03-26-00, 02:20 PM
nes

I too am contemplating rear surrounds. For HT I thought it was recommended that dipoles be used...full size? or wall mounted? or both!
I seem to need another amp for these puppies, so I'm not that close to dts ex...
Old 03-26-00, 08:01 PM
dtf
Cool New Member

I checked out the HTR5150 and the RXV595a and they are both out of production. Anyone know where i can pick one up at a decent price?
Old 03-27-00, 08:13 PM
Cool New Member

dtf, I know ecost is selling HTR-5150 for $399 after instant discount. That means if you put that receiver into your shopping cart. You can see the real price is $399.
Shipping supposed to be free except the sucking handling fee, $20 I think. I also see it was sold at http://www.pricepulse.com/jump.htm?I...id=-2147395950 for $398.

But why not wait for the HTR-5250, I got an email from yamaha said
quote:<HR>
The HTR-5240 will be out soon, however we don't any lit on this unit at this
time, nor has the information been uploaded onto our web site. Contact our
office in about 3 weeks as we should have information at that time. Thanks
<HR>