Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a decent shelf to store my collection.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please move if necessary. Anyway...

Right now, I have a rack that holds my DVD's, but it is starting to overflow, and I would prefer having my DVD's sitting vertical (on a shelf) instead of laying horizontal (like they are on the rack). Not to mention the rack looks like crap.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a decent shelf for relatively cheap? Preferably in the $50-$75 range.?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-09-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Looking for a decent shelf to store my collection.

I have 4 racks (about 300 each) that I got at Wal-Mart for about $25 each

made of solid wood and look pretty good
Old 01-09-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished building an ELFA shelving unit from the Container Store. Got about 1,100 DVDs on a wall-sized unit -- the best part is that they can customize the shelving to fit just about any size space. Only drawback is it can become pretty expensive (I think the total for my entire shelving unit was around $500) but it looks fantastic.
Old 01-09-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
I have 4 racks (about 300 each) that I got at Wal-Mart for about $25 each

made of solid wood and look pretty good
Are they the Fellowes/aka Mediawerks racks? That is what I have been buying on the cheap until I get around to replacing them. I have five of them.

Positives:
Cheap
Easy to find

Negatives:
PITA to put together
Wood doesn't always fit correctly.
May not line up straight
Old 01-09-09, 06:21 PM

I have two Billy shelves from Ikea - they run $59.99. I bought the optional glass shelves though, which bumps that price up a bit. But I think it makes them look a lot better... (IMHO)

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70104099

Here's mine:

Old 01-09-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Billy too. Without glass shelves, but they look good too.
Old 01-10-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Approximately how many DVD's do the Billy shelves hold?

Geez, $119.17 for shipping? That's a little less than twice the price of the shelf.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 01-10-09 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-10-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Big shelves means big shipping. One Billy unit is over 6' long and 80lbs in the box, better to buy in person. No Ikea near you? Have you been to racksandstands.com? They manage to have cheaper shipping.
Old 01-10-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I, too, have the IKEA Billy shelves. If there's a store in your city, it's a decent looking, inexpensive way to store the collection. I imagine shipping would be a little nuts. BTW: if you add 2 extra shelves to the basic unit, it will perfectly fit DVDs or Blu-rays without wasting much space. As to capacity, I think that each 6' tall 30" wide unit will hold about 400 discs.

ETA: The prices for the shelves vary, depending on color. IIRC, the black shelves are the cheapest, about $60 before adding the extra shelves.

Last edited by edclem; 01-10-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-10-09, 10:54 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

My wife and I have two IKEA Billy shelves we picked up for $89.99 apiece, as we wanted the birch veneer to match the rest of our furniture. Doing a quick count, each shelf holds around... 48-50 standard DVD cases. We bought two extra shelves per bookcase at $14.99 apiece to keep "dead space" to a minimum and maximize the storage space, plus I believe the Billys can have height extension units attached but I can't see needing that for a standard ceiling, as the top of the shelving unit is open and perfect for oversized box sets like our Complete Seinfeld Collection and the E.T. Deluxe 4-Disc Set. We're quite happy with the way they look and operate.

Which reminds me, between those shelves and our new 42" Philips HDTV, I have yet to post photos of my home theater system on DVDTalk. For shame!
Old 01-11-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I might have to make a run to IKEA myself, those shelves look pretty good. I just have three mismatched lamewad shelves right now..
Old 01-11-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by soonercineaste
I just finished building an ELFA shelving unit from the Container Store. Got about 1,100 DVDs on a wall-sized unit -- the best part is that they can customize the shelving to fit just about any size space. Only drawback is it can become pretty expensive (I think the total for my entire shelving unit was around $500) but it looks fantastic.
great suggestion - i just refinished my basement office and have a large recessed nook for shelving. the elfa may be a great solution. thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-12-09, 07:36 AM

If you have any construction skills and A saw you can buy the lumber from Home Depot or another hardware store and build them yourself for A whole lot cheaper than buying prefab shelving. And it's totally customizable that way.
Old 01-13-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soonercineaste
Hey there, would you mind posting some pics of the unit. I was thinking about going the custom route myself and I would like to get some ideas. Thanks.
Old 01-13-09, 11:57 AM
Suspended

I'm using Ikea Docent shelves. They were discontinued a few years ago. It is a shame, because I really liked them and are a better quality than the Billy bookshelves. They are deep enough to be used for electronics as well which was a big reason why I initially bought them.

I thought I have some fullsize pics of them on photobucket but I guess I don't. I'll have to throw some more up there.

Edit, I do, but it doesn't look like this anymore. I don't have my electronics on it, its full DVD shelving.

The dirty glass and the extra crap I have on there aren't doing any justice. The pics are a couple years old.

Last edited by gimmepilotwings; 01-13-09 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only problem I see with these IKEA shelves is all of the wasted space. It looks like you could stack'em two-deep on the shelf, plus all of the space above the DVD's.

Here is what I use now. They aren't shelves, but racks. I think the OP was trying to avoid that. I want to get a custom shelf that goes about 2/3 to 3/4 up the wall.

Old 01-14-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Actually, I like those racks. Where did you get them and how much were they? Also, how many DVD's/BDs do they hold? I just want my DVDs vertical instead of horizontal. You have to stack them on the rack I have now, and I think it looks bad.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine at Deepdiscount.com, but it looks like they don't carry them anymore. I found them here...
http://www.cdrackshoppe.com/5256-38.html

They are adjustable, so the ones I have setup just to hold Blu-ray/HD DVD, I can store about 200 or so standard hi-def cases.
Old 01-14-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I made mine with custom hanger from Storables, that way I could go the entire length of the wall and make it exactly as tall as I wanted. Then I picked up cheap finished MDF shelves from Lowes, the whole thing was about $60 for 60 linear feet of shelving.