DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Which upconverting DVD player should I get? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/547359-upconverting-dvd-player-should-i-get.html)

ANDREMIKE 01-07-09 09:05 PM

Which upconverting DVD player should I get?

I decided to forego getting a blu-ray player and decided to just buy a upconverting DVD player... So which one should I get? I want HDMI output

I need to buy it from Amazon.com.

Here some choices I found

Panasonic DVD-S54K 1080p Upconverting DVD Player

Pioneer DV-410V Multi-Format 1080p Upscaling DVD Player Featuring HDMI

Toshiba XD-E500 Upconverting 1080p Extended Detail DVD Player

Sony DVPNS75H Single Disc Upscaling DVD Player

Samsung DVD-1080P8 1080p Upconverting DVD Player

Brian Shannon 01-08-09 06:43 AM

Re: Which upconverting DVD player should I get?

IMHO if I wanted an upconverting player I would get an Oppo.

http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp

This late in the game though I would get a Blu Ray player. Your choice.

ANDREMIKE 01-08-09 11:15 AM

I hate to spend that much... I'd like to keep it under $100.00.
Maybe I just need to be patient and wait a few weeks for more BD players to come out and/or the prices to come down... I want that new Panasonic model..

Snowmaker 01-08-09 11:26 AM

The Philips DVP5992 is $40 again at Costco this week. I have one and my dad and brother each just bought one. I love the USB port.

dick_grayson 01-08-09 11:32 AM

yeah, that Philips one is hard to beat. it's easily made region free and can play just about any file type thrown at it. that said, I have an Oppo 980 and I would still get the Philips

ANDREMIKE 01-08-09 12:42 PM

I guess I'm on the fence... I'm not sure I want to start with a blu-ray collection... Everything I have still uses DVD's.

Snowmaker 01-08-09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson (Post 9183465)
yeah, that Philips one is hard to beat. it's easily made region free and can play just about any file type thrown at it. that said, I have an Oppo 980 and I would still get the Philips

I have a Sony Blu-ray player and STILL use the Philips for everything else.

ANDREMIKE 01-08-09 01:36 PM

Ok, I'm leaning to the Pioneer DV-410V..

edclem 01-08-09 09:27 PM

I have a Pioneer 410. It's an excellent player for the money.
Good video quality. Great sound. Reasonable price. You really can't go wrong with it.

Easy 01-10-09 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE (Post 9183859)

I recently had to replace my trusty old Panny RP62 and this was my choice. OPPO 981 was ruled out due to the macroblocking issue and I don't think the 980 would be significantly better than the pioneer, despite being nearly twice the price.
I was dismayed at the lack of online reviews/shootouts of dvd players so I found it tough to make a selection. What a shame DVD is being ignored but I guess the focus is on blu-ray. I have a blu-ray player and like hi-def but I AM NOT throwing out my dvds. Consumer Reports tipped my decision to the 410V as it topped the list of players they reviewed.

Here are the final scores from CR (out of 100):

86: Pioneer DV-410V
82: LG DN898
78: Insignia NS-UPDVD
75: Toshiba SD-6100
73: JVC XV-N670
73: Zenith DVB812
70: Philips DVP5990/37
67: Panasonic DVD-S54
63: RCA DRC277
61: Samsung DVD-F1080/XAA

The pioneer also has a modified (unofficial) firmware some find beneficial. Info at AVS/ DVD Players (standard Def)/DV410V thread.

dhmac 01-10-09 12:31 PM

New models start to appear in the Spring. So, at this time of the year, I recommend waiting a couple of months to see what's coming out.

cultshock 01-19-09 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE (Post 9183859)

I have the previous year's model, the DV-400V and am happy with it. It does a good job upconverting, and one cool bonus is the USB port. You can play avi and wmv files from a USB stick and supposedly could even connect an external hard drive and play the video files from that (I haven't tried that yet).

The only complaint I have is that the player emits a little more noise than I would like. I can hear a faint, high pitched hum with some discs during quiet scenes. But my hearing is very good, I'm using the player in the small confines of a bedroom, and who knows, maybe the 410V is quieter. Anyway, other than that, my player is great for a lower priced player.