DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Thinking of "small" upgrades to Home Theater

Old 01-03-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thinking of "small" upgrades to Home Theater

I haven't done anything to my home theater (see link in sig - and yes I know that link contains a TON of typo's...LOL) since I put in commercial carpet squares. I have been working a lot this year, but hope to be home most of February and do these upgrades. Sooo....

I'm looking for suggestions or ideas.

This is what I know I'm going to do:
-Paint the rest of the walls the same burgundy color as the wall I have the screen on. There actually is not much wall space. As one long wall has a built in book shelf and the other long wall has a sliding glass door and two windows.
-Add liners to my drapes so that if I wanted I can make it totally black even during the day. Right now during the day I can make it "dark" but not black. I'd like that option.
-Replace the large posters, I'm thinking Dark Knight and the new 2009 Star Trek Movie

What I'm considering:
-Painting the back wall with the posters on it that has a sort of siding on it, black and all the trim in the room, black (but I don't know how this will look)
-remove the rope lighting around the riser and replace it with small, low voltage "step lighting".
-Build a couple of light boxes for double sided posters
-Build a new slightly bigger screen. I have a 94" WS made out of "screen material". I'm intrigued by the screens built out of Formica. And I could make it a couple inches bigger with a slightly narrower frame. I could probably get right at 100".

Any other ideas? What has everyone done lately? Anything good that I can steal? LOL I don't think I'm making any equipment changes at this time. I just ordered a new bulb which in my house will last about 18-24 months. I'll look to 1080p at that time and then consider upgrades (I have a HD70 720p pj).
Old 01-03-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Look up. What color is that? Probably more important than what's behind you.

My recent alterations include: add BD, clean up the wires, remove my cassette deck, put my monitor on a swivel arm, triple my HTPC HDD space, new power for IR distribution. I still haven't finished my IR changes, the wires are sitting here waiting for me. Next maybe some rope lights and other lights, I can't actually make it light enough in here for cleaning or whatever when the PJ is off.
Old 01-03-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ohh....the ceiling....I didn't think of that. It is white. And I use a very low profile (home made) pj mount. So I do get some light spill. I could paint the ceiling burgundy a well...that would give the room a new look.

I don't have it in my pic, but my main lighting is track lighting. Since I had to move the light switch for the screen (I ended up putting it very low near the baseboard), I used a Lutron wireless switch. It is one of the best things I did. Not only does it allow dimming, but my Harmony remote controls it. The dimming is awesome. I have most of the lights pointing towards the walls and posters. So often I have them on a very low level even during movie watching. Which really gives it a theater "feel".
Old 01-04-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not paint the ceiling black? My ceiling is a Behr Beluga paint that is enamel flat, and I have my projector ceiling mounted. I've got the Lutron remote lighting as well - I only have two recessed lights in the room, and the windows are blacked out with frames I made.
Old 01-04-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri View Post
Why not paint the ceiling black? My ceiling is a Behr Beluga paint that is enamel flat, and I have my projector ceiling mounted. I've got the Lutron remote lighting as well - I only have two recessed lights in the room, and the windows are blacked out with frames I made.
Oh, now there is an idea. I could paint the two side walls burgandy to match the screen wall. Then the back wall, ceiling and all trim (window and door) black. That might look really good. Course all my frames are black for my posters on the back wall. Not sure how that would look.