Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

So how many of us know people that need a converter box for their analog TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-02-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My in-laws, god love 'em have their 25" Zenith, no cable. I just hooked up their converter box. They got all excited when they saw a few extra digital channels. These are real basic folks in their 70's. Have a DVD player but prefer VHS. Collected 8-tracks until the bitter end. Have no computer because of all the problems they hear people complain about. While in Best Buy the other day saw an elderly couple looking for a converter box. The guy tried to upsell them on a new TV but heck no. We just want our converter box.

I can understand older people not wanting anything complicated. But here we have basic cable for about $10 month. It gives all the local channels a couple shopping channels, TLC, and a couple more learning channels. You don't need a box or another remote. My in-laws are already stupified about the remote and how to play their VCR with the box hooked up.

How much of the population has an analog TV and no cable or dish?
Old 01-02-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I set up a convertor box for a friend of my aunt's.

I expected we're going to hear plenty of stories of people without their stations, both local and national, come next month.
Old 01-02-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My In-Laws do as well. I have to get them a converter box still though. I've tried to explain why to them multiple times and have given up.
I figure I'll buy the box and wait until they call me saying their TV isn't working..
Old 01-02-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have one and I don't need it. Does that help balance anything out?
Old 01-03-09, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I set up a convertor box for a friend of my aunt's.

I expected we're going to hear plenty of stories of people without their stations, both local and national, come next month.
I bet it would have been easier to just send everyone in the country a box ahead of time, and make it a "negative response" campaign, where you'd have to call a number and say, "Hey, I don't need one."

It would have been an expensive idea, but I highly doubt it will be any worse than what's about to come in the middle of February. And why that date was chosen, was also a really stupid idea.
Old 01-03-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know several
Old 01-03-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Grandfather has a 20 inch tv in the bedroom that he still uses an antenna for. He has Dish network, but uses an antenna to get locals out of market.
Old 01-03-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

my aunt & uncle will need one because they refuse to get cable, since they don't watch much TV. i signed up in Dec for 2 $40 coupons, but won't get them until after The Switch - Hawaii goes digital a month early, January 15 - my fault for procrastinating.
Old 01-03-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My girlfriend's parents do. So do my ex-girlfriends. Heh.
Old 01-03-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought my mom a converter box as her Xmas gift for the NTSC TV in her bedroom.
Old 01-03-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A number of people at my work needed a box. Most of the rest didn't need it because they had cable or sat. Surprisingly few folks have HD TV sets at my work... and it's a tech company. This area, Portland Oregon, seems to be full of folks who aren't "spendy" on new-fangled gizmos like HDTV.

-beebs
Old 01-03-09, 01:12 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am pissed off that my little hand held tv won't work anymore. I use it in storms and in the car when traveling.

Our basement tv isn't hooked up to cable, so we got a converter box for it. We our keeping that tv until it blows up. Its our nice big tv from the familyroom. Too nice to get rid of yet, since its basically worthless.
Old 01-03-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have no cable, no dish, no analog or digital TV receiver, and no TV . . . do I win?
Old 01-03-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Projectors don't count?
Old 01-04-09, 12:12 AM

This link may help clear up any uncertanties one has concerning installation of your new set-top box...

http://entertainment.msn.com/video/p..._dlRWM_QVHBwKU

I have found this infomecial to be quite informative.
Old 01-04-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi View Post
I have no cable, no dish, no analog or digital TV receiver, and no TV . . . do I win?
Only if you still have your 8-track compact record player.
Old 01-04-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
I have one and I don't need it. Does that help balance anything out?
I requested the coupons (yes both of them) and then let them expire (for some reason thought I had until mid Jan, but they expired in mid Dec). I had planned to play with one of the boxes on the TV in the basement which isn't connected to DirecTV and which I only have hooked up for some legacy consoles for the kids (the newer consoles are on the HDTV's in other rooms).

So that's my procrastination story....
Old 01-04-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My 90 year-old next door neighbor will need one....she has cable, but it's analog, and goes right into the coax-in, in back of the set.
Old 01-04-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k View Post
My 90 year-old next door neighbor will need one....she has cable, but it's analog, and goes right into the coax-in, in back of the set.
She doesn't need one.
Old 01-04-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k View Post
If she has Comcast cable, she might...or might not.

After months of TV ads in Oregon, selling their service with a "no need to get a new TV or converter box if you sign up with us" pitch, Comcast has stopped those commercials for a new one: "In February, Comcast channels 31+ are going digital, so if you have an analog TV..."

If your neighbor has anything more than "Limited Basic," she will need a box... or to downgrade her service.
Old 01-04-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
My girlfriend's parents do. So do my ex-girlfriends. Heh.
Sounds like you need new girlfriends.

I don't know anybody who has them. I thought I heard on the news the federal funds for the program were running out. Is that true. Did they not budget properly, or has there been an influx of people getting the coupons? I wouldn't be surprised if people are getting them without actually needing them but not knowing they really don't need one.

I was also under the impression that basic cable would also need a box from the cable company as well since that would become digital by default of the original source signals.
Old 01-05-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RevKarl View Post
If she has Comcast cable, she might...or might not.

After months of TV ads in Oregon, selling their service with a "no need to get a new TV or converter box if you sign up with us" pitch, Comcast has stopped those commercials for a new one: "In February, Comcast channels 31+ are going digital, so if you have an analog TV..."

If your neighbor has anything more than "Limited Basic," she will need a box... or to downgrade her service.
That has nothing to do with an OTA box, though. That is Comcast ripping off analog cable customers. Analog cable does not change on 2/17/09 in any way, shape or form. Unless your local cable company decides to change it.
Old 01-07-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: So how many of us know people that need a converter box for their analog TV?

That has nothing to do with an OTA box, though. That is Comcast ripping off analog cable customers. Analog cable does not change on 2/17/09 in any way, shape or form. Unless your local cable company decides to change it.
That's exactly my point...and I doubt if Comcast is the only major cable company doing (or planning to do) this.

While this is no big deal for the technically-savvy members of this form, many senior citizens, like BuckNaked2k's neighbor, are going to have problems.

I know some of my mother's neighbors only have basic cable because they cannot properly use two remotes. This change is going to cut their channel selection by 60%.
Old 01-07-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: So how many of us know people that need a converter box for their analog TV?

Originally Posted by RevKarl View Post
I know some of my mother's neighbors only have basic cable because they cannot properly use two remotes. This change is going to cut their channel selection by 60%.
True, such a change could happen. My point is that you are talking about a theoretical cable change. This thread is about a different change, for OTA-only TV viewers. Many such viewers are actually getting MORE channels as some of the digital stations are using their new bandwidth to add multiple SD channels instead of one HD.
Old 01-08-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True, such a change could happen. My point is that you are talking about a theoretical cable change. This thread is about a different change, for OTA-only TV viewers. Many such viewers are actually getting MORE channels as some of the digital stations are using their new bandwidth to add multiple SD channels instead of one HD.
My in-laws got all excited, there was a local weather channel and 2 extra public access channels. Then why don't you get f'in cable.

You know my in-laws are really nice people, but if boring were an olympic event they'd be gold medalists. They have that depression era mentality. Don't ever do anything, don't ever spend anything, don't ever enjoy life, you never know what bad things might happen.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.