DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Old 12-30-08, 12:12 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,445
Question For Panny Plasma Owners

What the differences between the TH50PZ85U and TH50PZ800U models, besides $500 I mean?

Looking at the specs online, the only differences I see at first glance are the 800U adds an additional HDMI input and two additional speaker (assuming these are for simulated surround sound).

Thanks for any input!
clappj is offline  
Old 12-30-08, 12:20 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,191
800U also includes THX Certification, 24p, 1-sheet of glass design & swivel-base.

The description pages on Amazon show a helpful features grid of the Panny Viera plasma's.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 12-30-08, 12:34 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,445
Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
800U also includes THX Certification, 24p, 1-sheet of glass design & swivel-base.

The description pages on Amazon show a helpful features grid of the Panny Viera plasma's.

Thanks for the info!

Doesn't seem like it's worth an additional $500.
Unless someone can convince me otherwise.
clappj is offline  
Old 12-30-08, 12:56 PM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,191
Originally Posted by clappj View Post
Thanks for the info!

Doesn't seem like it's worth an additional $500.
Unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Oddly enough, I have been eyeing these two models for the past several weeks. I am going to wait a bit longer to see what happens to prices as we move closer to the Super Bowl. I'm also curious to see how the 2009 models will compare during CES.

I do think the 24p feature is a key one -- especially for future-proofing.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 12-30-08, 01:26 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,445
Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I am going to wait a bit longer to see what happens to prices as we move closer to the Super Bowl.
I was planning on waiting 'til around SB time also, but I have a 10% off coupon to Circuit City, as well as a rewards credit card from them.

The sales tax the prices are $1633.26 for the 85U, and $2017.56 for the 800U, plus I'll get back 5% in rewards GCs (which I believe works out to roughly $60-$90, depending on which model I choose).

Not too bad a deal!
Plus they have a 30-day price guarantee.
clappj is offline  
Old 12-30-08, 02:50 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,926
If you are thinking of ruling out the 800U, I would then consider the pz80U over the pz85U unless the extra $200-$300 savings isn't a big deal.

Comparison from http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-pan...80u-pz85u.html

1. The PZ85u has a VGA input that the PZ80u does not. But the input has a lower max resolution compared to the native resolution so it is mostly useless IMO. You can just use a HDMI input with a HDMI output video card.

2. The 3rd set of inputs are on the side of the pz85u versus the front for the pz80u. The front inputs are better for when the display will be in a cabinet/entertainment center, but the side inputs are better if the 3rd inputs are used constantly otherwise, as they are less intrusive being on the side.

3. Cosmetic changes to the bezel & speakers with the pz85u having a slightly wider bezel and down-firing speakers, but the looks are personal taste preference only.

4. The pz85u has C.A.T.S. which can increase the contrast ratio to the 30,000:1 rating (really all these Contrast Ratings from ALL mfgs are BS) compared to the 20,000:1 for the pz80u, but all pro calibrators say to turn this off anyway. Both have the same part # for the actual plasma panel so the difference is just electronics.
I do like the looks of the 85U better though.
abintra is offline  
Old 01-01-09, 12:58 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Posts: 626
I purchased the TH-50PZ800U directly from Amazon (not a third party vendor) for $1780 shipped!!! two weeks prior to Christmas. For some reason the price on this set fluctuates like the stock market, one day it's up the next it's down, then up again.

We recieved the 800U the morning of Christmas Eve, Merry Christmas to me! I've been looking at the Panny's for 6 months. The Pioneer Kuro's were out of the question based on price alone.

So, for the past six months I have spent countless hours price watching, and a few Best Buy/Circuit City in-store picture quality comparison tests, in addition to reading the posts from those nerds over at AVSforums. I came to one conclusion, Panasonic. Now, which Panny would be the best for features and price, the 800U. I absoulty love the "one sheet glass design." FYI: I have a friend who bought the 58" 800U and I think because of the TV's sheer size it doesn't have the one sheet glass that is stated on Amazon's site.

I must explain, I can't stand dust, that tiny stepped-in edge/lip that runs around most TV's drives me insane. The one sheet glass takes care of dust build up on that would otherwise occur on that lip, I know it's not a big deal for most people, but I'll pay for the convenience of not having to get in there and dust that lip/edge.

So for the past week I've been doing Panasonic's recommended 100 hour "break-in" and I must say even with the settings turned down, the picture from my BluRay player is nothing short of stunning. I'm scheduled to have my DirectTV HD-DVR added to my system this coming Saturday. So the standard DirectTV signal that we are currently watching IMO leaves a lot to be desired. Friends and family don't seem to mind, but I can't stand it.

Buy the Panny you won't regret it, whether it's the 85U, the 800U or if you can afford it the more "tweakable" 850U, I promise you'll be thanking me later.

Enjoy!

Last edited by hal9000; 01-01-09 at 01:02 PM.
hal9000 is offline  
Old 01-04-09, 01:49 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
I purchased the TH-50PZ800U directly from Amazon (not a third party vendor) for $1780 shipped!!! two weeks prior to Christmas. For some reason the price on this set fluctuates like the stock market, one day it's up the next it's down, then up again.

We recieved the 800U the morning of Christmas Eve, Merry Christmas to me! I've been looking at the Panny's for 6 months. The Pioneer Kuro's were out of the question based on price alone.

So, for the past six months I have spent countless hours price watching, and a few Best Buy/Circuit City in-store picture quality comparison tests, in addition to reading the posts from those nerds over at AVSforums. I came to one conclusion, Panasonic. Now, which Panny would be the best for features and price, the 800U. I absoulty love the "one sheet glass design." FYI: I have a friend who bought the 58" 800U and I think because of the TV's sheer size it doesn't have the one sheet glass that is stated on Amazon's site.

I must explain, I can't stand dust, that tiny stepped-in edge/lip that runs around most TV's drives me insane. The one sheet glass takes care of dust build up on that would otherwise occur on that lip, I know it's not a big deal for most people, but I'll pay for the convenience of not having to get in there and dust that lip/edge.

So for the past week I've been doing Panasonic's recommended 100 hour "break-in" and I must say even with the settings turned down, the picture from my BluRay player is nothing short of stunning. I'm scheduled to have my DirectTV HD-DVR added to my system this coming Saturday. So the standard DirectTV signal that we are currently watching IMO leaves a lot to be desired. Friends and family don't seem to mind, but I can't stand it.

Buy the Panny you won't regret it, whether it's the 85U, the 800U or if you can afford it the more "tweakable" 850U, I promise you'll be thanking me later.

Enjoy!
I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a Panasonic TH-50PZ700U (last years model) And in my opinion it is by far the best VALUE in a plasma set. My advice would be to go one step further and have it calibrated to ISF standards. http://www.imagingscience.com/ Best Buy offers this service for $250 - $300 depending on where you live. Trust me, it makes a big difference.
jones is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 02:30 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,588
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
I purchased the TH-50PZ800U directly from Amazon (not a third party vendor) for $1780 shipped!!! two weeks prior to Christmas. For some reason the price on this set fluctuates like the stock market, one day it's up the next it's down, then up again.

We recieved the 800U the morning of Christmas Eve, Merry Christmas to me! I've been looking at the Panny's for 6 months. The Pioneer Kuro's were out of the question based on price alone.

So, for the past six months I have spent countless hours price watching, and a few Best Buy/Circuit City in-store picture quality comparison tests, in addition to reading the posts from those nerds over at AVSforums. I came to one conclusion, Panasonic. Now, which Panny would be the best for features and price, the 800U. I absoulty love the "one sheet glass design." FYI: I have a friend who bought the 58" 800U and I think because of the TV's sheer size it doesn't have the one sheet glass that is stated on Amazon's site.

I must explain, I can't stand dust, that tiny stepped-in edge/lip that runs around most TV's drives me insane. The one sheet glass takes care of dust build up on that would otherwise occur on that lip, I know it's not a big deal for most people, but I'll pay for the convenience of not having to get in there and dust that lip/edge.

So for the past week I've been doing Panasonic's recommended 100 hour "break-in" and I must say even with the settings turned down, the picture from my BluRay player is nothing short of stunning. I'm scheduled to have my DirectTV HD-DVR added to my system this coming Saturday. So the standard DirectTV signal that we are currently watching IMO leaves a lot to be desired. Friends and family don't seem to mind, but I can't stand it.

Buy the Panny you won't regret it, whether it's the 85U, the 800U or if you can afford it the more "tweakable" 850U, I promise you'll be thanking me later.

Enjoy!
Hal, how was the shipping from amazon, I'm assuming the tv arrived with no problems? I almost pulled the trigger on that same deal, but waited hoping it will drop more closer to the superbowl. Also, is that the best price you had seen on that set in your hours of pricewatching? I'm really leaning that way since with that high dollar of a purchase nice to get free shipping and no tax.
Duh Vuh Duh is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 03:01 PM
  #10  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,972
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

My 80u is scheduled to arrive on Thursday, ordered from Adorama through Amazon on 12/29 for 1268..

Couldn't justify the 3-400 to get the different bezel..

Adorama called today to schedule delivery, I could have had it tomorrow, but will wait till Thursday as it's more convenient.
BDB is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 04:27 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,445
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy View Post

Couldn't justify the 3-400 to get the different bezel..
Which model are you comparing it to?
clappj is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 04:52 PM
  #12  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,972
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

the 800u/850u
BDB is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 04:54 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

is there a 850u? I think you mean the 85u. The next one would be the 900u (whenever it comes out)
dick_grayson is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 05:05 PM
  #14  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,191
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Originally Posted by dick_grayson View Post
is there a 850u? I think you mean the 85u. The next one would be the 900u (whenever it comes out)
There is indeed -- it introduces the following addt'l features:
5,120 Shades of Gradation
H.264 Codec
Digital Cinema Color
Studio Reference Mode
Pro Setting Menu
Serial Port
Geofferson is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 07:39 PM
  #15  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,972
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

they love the numbers
80u/85u
800u/850u

Make it easier next time pls...
BDB is offline  
Old 01-06-09, 12:22 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Posts: 626
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh View Post
Hal, how was the shipping from amazon, I'm assuming the tv arrived with no problems? I almost pulled the trigger on that same deal, but waited hoping it will drop more closer to the superbowl. Also, is that the best price you had seen on that set in your hours of pricewatching? I'm really leaning that way since with that high dollar of a purchase nice to get free shipping and no tax.
I apologize in advance, this is going to be long...

Shipping was great, I highly recommend buying from Amazon. And here's why,
First off price, nobody even came close to Amazon's price. Second, Amazon's return policy, we've never had any trouble with prior returns, why should this change with high ticket items.

I'll try to be as brief as possible in explaining my entire purchase process.

Just prior to Thanksgiving this set went on a "ships in 1 to 2 months" status on Amazon, I didn't want to buy through a third party vendor on Amazon and I didn't want to wait any longer, so I purchased the TH-50PZ800U through my companies discount program with Panasonic (it's called Panasonic Direct).



Panasonic's pre-tax price for this set was in the low $1700's with free shipping, but they charge a sales tax in every State that they do business in. So that pushed the price slightly higher than $1900 shipped. That very night I checked on Amazon and sure enough (like everything else in my life) it was back in stock at Amazon, but the price was almost the same as Panasonic's taxed price around $1919 shipped.

So I talked to my wife about canceling the Panasonic Direct purchase and re-buying the set through Amazon based on their return/customer service alone. So we bought the set from Amazon, I would deal with canceling my Panasonic Direct order the next day at work, no worries, right? Wrong, not even 24 hours had passed with no word from Panasonic on whether the set had shipped or not.

I get a hold of a CSR at Panasonic that "claims' the set had already shipped and that they would probably charge me a 15% restocking fee... WTF! Don't get me wrong, I love Panasonic as a brand, but yet like any huge company they tend to be good at making things, but horrible with dealing with customer service.

I immediately call my credit card company and put this purchase in dispute. I don't want to be charged a 15% restocking fee for something I haven't even physically received yet.

Amazon calls us to confirm shipping the set and it should be at our house in 5 days. A day later the shipping company also calls to confirm to make sure a Saturday delivery would be good with us, Cool!

I was running errands prior to delivery that day, the original window was for 10-2 p.m. just my luck the shippers show up 20 minutes before 10 p.m.. My wife watches the guys unpack the box, but she notices two substantial scratches on the lower corner of the glass. She, like any good DVDTalker wife would do, refuses delivery. She calls me, I'm stunned, how can this be... my TV was within my grasp, by the time I get back home the delivery guys are gone. A quick call to Amazon gets the second attempt going. Amazon claims 2-3 week back order, #@&%!! great. Okay, patience is a virtue right?

D-day, Christmas Eve morning... Amazon's "white glove" delivery shows up on time as promised, this time I'm there to watch and inspect for myself. Set looks great, they put the set on it's base, plug in the power, it works! They wont hook up any connections other than power.

Thumbs up to Amazon! Thumbs down to Panasonic Direct, they took almost 3 weeks to credit my credit card.

This set is freaking beautiful to watch, HDTV and Blu-Ray are jaw dropping. I highly, highly recommend this set.


*edit* I forgot one major thing: a day after we bought the set from Amazon the price dropped $140 we called Amazon and they adjusted the price to a final shipped price of $1780. Good times!

Last edited by hal9000; 01-06-09 at 11:27 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the Amazon price drop/adjustment (oops!)
hal9000 is offline  
Old 01-07-09, 03:20 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,588
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Hal, thanks for the detailed experience, definitely helps me lean towards buying through amazon.
Duh Vuh Duh is offline  
Old 01-07-09, 03:53 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,445
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

I placed my order for the 85U yesterday at Amazon, saving $319 off Circuit City's current sales price.
clappj is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 06:44 PM
  #19  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,972
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

/holy Jeebus is the 80u awesome.

And that's right out of the box.

And it was awesome before I realised the PS3 was outputting 480. When it went to 1080 it was even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BDB is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 09:27 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
beebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,761
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Panasonic Plasmas rock. Welcome to the club.

-comix
beebs is offline  
Old 01-11-09, 01:34 PM
  #21  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,972
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Well mine replaced a 42 Panny Pro from 2003..
BDB is offline  
Old 01-11-09, 02:07 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,517
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Once you go Panny, you'll grow a big fanny.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 01-14-09, 12:05 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,569
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

I wish Amazon personally carried more of the 800u and 850u models. I'd like to order from them, but would prefer avoiding their third-party sellers.
GoVegan is offline  
Old 01-14-09, 02:38 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,588
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
I wish Amazon personally carried more of the 800u and 850u models. I'd like to order from them, but would prefer avoiding their third-party sellers.
Agreed, got an email from Amazon advertising their best values on hdtv's checked the 800U and was excited when I saw it was $1750, but then saw that was from J&R electronics and saw they had about $200 in shipping.
Duh Vuh Duh is offline  
Old 01-14-09, 03:09 PM
  #25  
BDB
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,972
Re: Question For Panny Plasma Owners

My TV was from Adorama thru Amazon, and I would say it was perfect. Didn't have the White Glove delivery, but they still carried it up one flight of stairs for me.
BDB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.