DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Audio question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/546381-audio-question.html)

kegman 12-24-08 06:38 AM

Audio question

I bought the Pioneer Elite SC-07 it pushes a 140w per channel. I want to get a new center channel speaker. Whats the min and max output I should be looking for? I saw a nice Klipsch that was for 100w - 400w is that overkill since I'm only pushing 140w.

SoSpacey 12-24-08 08:47 AM

I dont really understand your question.

I wouldnt worry about power ratings too much. You should only worry if you really really under or overpower.

Does your new center channel match your front speakers?

kegman 12-24-08 09:41 AM

I don't want to buy a new center speaker that is under powered. If the receiver pushes a 140w per channel does that mean all I need is a center speaker that can handle 140w's

SoSpacey 12-24-08 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by kegman (Post 9153505)
I don't want to buy a new center speaker that is under powered. If the receiver pushes a 140w per channel does that mean all I need is a center speaker that can handle 140w's

you wont be a speaker that is underpowered v. your receiver. could you? sure. but you would need an Athena Amp driving Realistic spekaers from Radio Shack to have that problem.

Most consumer level receivers and speakers will match up fine.

your bigger concern should be matching your center channel and front speakers. if you are using crappy fronts rated at 50wpc and have a center rated a 150wpc it will take different levels to drive them similarly. you will then have to compensate by adjusting your speaker levels in your receiver.

matching your center and fronts is very very important. what are you using now as fronts?

kegman 12-24-08 02:03 PM

what are you using now as fronts?

Well I just started upgrading about 2 weeks ago. I bought the receiver, subwoofer and I just ordered the Klp-c2 center speaker 100w-400w. The 2 fronts I have not shopped for yet. But right now I have unfortunatley, 2 panasonic 60w tower speakers and the 2 rear are the same.

Spiky 12-24-08 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by kegman (Post 9153505)

You mentioned the receiver's watt rating 3 times in 2 posts, and countless speaker references. Your real issue is that you are too focused on wattage. Wattage ratings are ephemeral, esp when they come from a marketing department, you need to stop worrying about it. I know, I'm saying, "Trust me, not them". Guess you'll have to decide whom to believe. Commercials teach us that numbers are important, and bigger is better. While there is some truth to that, there are far more numbers to consider in amp wattage than "140w", the rest are in the fine print. We could explain further if you really want to know the details.

Take SoSpacey's advice about matching and not worrying about the numbers. Buy a set of speakers or buy from the same product line. Your goal in doing so is to make them sound the same when you sit in your room. Some of that does require equalizing the power, but you can't do that by reading numbers on the packaging. Ideally, you should be able to listen to a test tone that sweeps in a circle around the room and never hear where one speaker is in relation to another. It should just sound like a circle of sound as if it were a solid circle instead of 5 speakers. So get matched speakers.

The sub is the only speaker for which matching is not an issue. At least, with a real sub.

Sdallnct 12-24-08 04:54 PM

Please listen to SoSpacey and Spikey! You don't even need to look at the Watts. IMO for 90% of people/systems out there it is a useless number. For the speaker or receiver. It is MEANINGLESS!!!

What is meaningful, as mentioned, is that all your speakers match in tember. You do not want to "mix and match" in a surround system. The speakers should be designed to work with each other.

If you have older, nicer speakers that you want to use. Then I suggest you write the maker and ask them what they recommend. I did this was a older but nice pair of KEF's and they gave me a nice center channel recommendation that worked well for my first surround set up.