Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Have wireless speakers gotten any better? Looking for something for "B" speakers.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Have wireless speakers gotten any better? Looking for something for "B" speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to get something for a "B" set of speakers, so they are not going to be part of the primary setup they are just there so we can listen to some of the podcasts [via Tivo] and the digital music channels. Looking around at wireless speakers I'm finding two things; most people dislike the sound quality and most of them seem to work based on being plugged into the headphone jack and not the "B" speakers (alternatively is there a standard speaker wire to headphone jack adapter?). Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

TIA

Last edited by nemein; 07-13-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking for the same thing. I just want something for my porch. Thinking about these: http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/awwiousp.html Anyone have any experience?
Old 07-16-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by stp115
I was looking for the same thing. I just want something for my porch. Thinking about these: http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/awwiousp.html Anyone have any experience?
I just built a deck off my back patio and I was hoping to get some outdoor speakers as well. No one with any suggestions?
Old 07-16-08, 08:48 PM

I just ordered one of those (figured out I can take directly from the Tivo instead of going through the receiver) so I should be able to let you know in a few days. My only concern is that I haven't been able to verify whether or not the unit itself has any sort of volume control.
Old 07-20-08, 07:26 AM

Let me begin by saying I'm not particularly picky about my audio. I do like it crisp/clean but as far as tonality/highs/lows my ear is not that well tuned W/ that said this is a decent enough speaker for my purposes. It's hooked up to the A/V output on the Tivo which means I can listen to the podcasts or 365 radio streams (mainly talk shows like Car Talk and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, or old time radio shows... maybe occasionally music, but that's not a big deal for me) away from the living room and with the TV/receiver turned off. The unit itself is much larger than I thought it would be. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the specs because I was expecting something slightly larger than hand held but it's really the size of a mini cooler/water jug, and not particularly attractive (if that's important to you). The transmitter unit is also larger than I thought it would be (about the height of a deck of cards standing on end, and just about as wide). Plus there is an obnoxious blue light on the front of it that lets you know it's working. Which is obviously helpful but it is one of the brightest LEDs I've seen and almost lights up the whole room if there are no other light sources. The range just covers what I need it to cover but I don't think it's anywhere near the 250ft mark. As you get further out there is some popping/hissing and the occasional complete drop out (but so far it's always resynced within a couple of seconds w/o my having to do anything). There is a independent volume control on the speaker itself, something that wasn't mentioned on any of the sales pages. Getting batteries into the unit takes a little effort, and a screwdriver, so you'll probably want to get rechargeable batteries just so you don't have to take the thing apart so often. The included cord will either work the unit directly and/or recharge the batteries. I haven't had it long enough to test the battery life yet though.

So bottom line, it's fine for my purposes, but it certainly has it flaws and it's not something I would recommend for everyone.

Last edited by nemein; 07-20-08 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-20-08, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can look for the Creative X-Fi wireless system. It's a bit pricey, but it's better than other wireless kits you'd be able to find at big box stores.

Guess it's a bit late now... oh, well...