Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best 46" to 48" HDTV for Less than $1,200?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best 46" to 48" HDTV for Less than $1,200?

Old 07-12-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Panasonic Plasma new.... I'm pretty sure about it now.

I just don't feel comfortable buying a floor model plasma. Also, I went to Circuit City and the image quality on the set seemed a lot better there - and the same, in my eyesight, to the 1080p model.

When I was at Wal-Mart looking at the set I saw Pixelation and some blurriness within 5 or 6 feet of the set which had me concerned since I will generally watch this set from 5 to 8 feet away. But now that I saw it at Circuit City it didn't seem to have this problem and should be okay (I would think).
Old 07-15-08, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think I've decided to buy the new 720p Samsung model that came out a few months ago. The Panasonic looks very good as well but now this is what I am leaning towards doing.

I'm going to pick it up at Sears (it's on sale for $1,999) and I still needed to buy my PS3 so you can save $100 on a PS3 at Sears with a purchase of any TV 40" and larger.

Pretty good deal IMHO. Although, I wonder if Circuit City would be willing to price match the TV set and the PS3 offer so that I could save an ADDITIONAL ten percent.

Does anyone think that is worth a shot?
Old 07-15-08, 09:18 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO, I would go with the Panny plasma over all the other recommendations in this thread. Aside from a Pioneer Kuro, you're not gonna find a higher rated plasma. I'm also in the camp that believes it has the better picture.

The 100 hour break in period on a plasma just requires common sense. Turn down the contrast and take it off vivid mode for the first few months. And don't leave it on a channel that has a static image for hours on end. Same with gaming. With these newer plasmas it's probably not needed, but with the amount of money involved i'd rather play it safe.

Good luck. You won't go wrong with the Sammy either.

Side note: Just making sure I follow you (based on your last update). You're going to pay ~$2K for the Sammy to save $100 off a PS3 vs. ~$1200 for the Panny and MSRP on the PS3?

Last edited by usckid007; 07-15-08 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-15-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by usckid007
Side note: Just making sure I follow you (based on your last update). You're going to pay ~$2K for the Sammy to save $100 off a PS3 vs. ~$1200 for the Panny and MSRP on the PS3?
I was confused by that as well.

As to the "break-in period": I took the easiest way out. My TV was on for 100 straight. When I wasn't watching TV (I played no games in this period), I was running the break-in DVD available over at AVS.
Old 07-15-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Woah. Typo alert... That is hilarious.

It's actually on sale for $1,199. And since I feel more comfortable buying such a large product in store rather than online I thought it might be good to just buy the Samsung Plasma and PS3 from somewhere close to where I live. For the first year they also offer in-home repair and I think that would be beneficial. Also I read the Samsung comes with a two year warranty as opposed to the one year warranty for the Panasonic.

Both of them look amazing but these are some the reasons why I have chosen the Samsung. I'm excited about getting it!
Old 07-15-08, 01:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh okay. That makes much more sense. Knowing the "background" advantages on the Samsung makes it the more logical choice. Once you get an HDMI AVR, you'll be set. Top notch pictures begs for top notch sound to match.
Old 07-18-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Samsung and Panny have two of the best (generally) plasma screens I've seen. At the same price, it's a close call and you can't go wrong with either. OTOH, I've never seen a DLP I really like (and I've looked at many).