Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Having problems with my Sub on 5.1 Tracks (Sony STR-DG720 Receiver)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-24-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

So I have my surround system hooked up to my PS3 via HDMI. I decreased the volume on the Sub to the maximum of 10 but it is still really tame when I'm litenng to 5.1 tracks. This morning I put in Ac/Dc Live At Donington on Blu-Ray after reading a review stating that the bass kicks ass on the True PCM 5.1 track. Well it didn't kick my ass. Instead in sound like a baby cub compared to the bass of the PCM stereo track. This is not the first time that I have noticed considerably less bass in the true audio track compared to the Stero mixes. What do I need to do to optimize this system and get the right bass as well as the best sound? I know that this is not the greatest receiver in the world but it is all I am able to invest right now in a receiver. Sorry for being new to this and thanks for the help.

One other problem:
I also have my Toshiba HD-A30 player running into the receiver with a second HDMI cable and it doesn't appear to want to play any of the 5.1 one tracks without me having to change a setting on the receiver. It starts off by playing a 5.1 track as a 2.1 stereo track. Why is this? I have set all of the settings in the Player menu so that it send the audio out properly but nothing seems to work. Once again thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
So I have my surround system hooked up to my PS3 via HDMI. I decreased the volume on the Sub to the maximum of 10 but it is still really tame when I'm litenng to 5.1 tracks. This morning I put in Ac/Dc Live At Donington on Blu-Ray after reading a review stating that the bass kicks ass on the True PCM 5.1 track. Well it didn't kick my ass. Instead in sound like a baby cub compared to the bass of the PCM stereo track. This is not the first time that I have noticed considerably less bass in the true audio track compared to the Stero mixes. What do I need to do to optimize this system and get the right bass as well as the best sound? I know that this is not the greatest receiver in the world but it is all I am able to invest right now in a receiver. Sorry for being new to this and thanks for the help.

One other problem:
I also have my Toshiba HD-A30 player running into the receiver with a second HDMI cable and it doesn't appear to want to play any of the 5.1 one tracks without me having to change a setting on the receiver. It starts off by playing a 5.1 track as a 2.1 stereo track. Why is this? I have set all of the settings in the Player menu so that it send the audio out properly but nothing seems to work. Once again thanks for the help.
Are both the PS3 and HD-A30 running audio with the HDMI or are you also running an optical cable? The HD-A30 will make your 5.1 track play as 2.1 if you've got it running through optical. If it's HDMI you need to make sure both devices are set to LPCM and not Bitstream. The DG720 cannot accept the new HD audio tracks via Bitstream. The player must do the conversion and sent the data via PCM which the 720 will accept and play.

I have a 720 and the bass is great. TrueHD, DTS-MA, and Uncompressed PCM are simply amazing. They all blow away DD and standard DTS.