Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to hook up a subwoofer with wireless DD 5.1 headphones?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever done this combination before? I'm pretty happy with my Sony MDR-DS6000 Surround Sound Wireless Headphones, but i've been curious if I can hook up a subwoofer either to the Headphone base, the DVD player, or the TV in order to get subwoofer action while watching a DVD with my headphoned surround sound. Does this sound crazy? Has anyone thought of doing this? When watching movies late at night, it's more the volume than the rumble that's disturbing to others.

+

=
????
Old 05-03-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I am assuming the headphones accept a digital signal (optical or coaxial). This would probably only work if you have a player with multichannel analog outputs. If the player can output sound from both analog and digital outs at the same time, you could connect the digital output to the headphones and the analog output of the subwoofer channel to the sub.
Old 05-04-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Drexl, if what has multichannel outputs - the DVD player or the Headphone base?

My headphone base has DIGITAL OUT (which is connected to the DVD player) and a DIGITAL IN holes. The only hole not being used is the DIGITAL IN.

On the back of my DVD player, since my headphones are proccessing DD 5.1 surround as a receiver, the surround sound speaker holes on my DVD player are not being used (Front L, Front R, Rear L, Rear R, Subwoofer), which includes a Subwoofer hole. What happens if I just stick the subwoofer wire in that hole?
Old 05-04-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It should work. Most players would have both analog and digital outputs going at the same time.
Old 05-05-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But since these headphones supposedly process the .1 subwoofer (the headphones aren't called DD 5.0 surround sound headphones), is it possible that the combination can cause the audio to get all wacky?
Old 05-08-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would just be more sound. You may or may not like the way it sounds, that is true. Adding multiple speakers can do some strange things. I have a feeling this would just add some "feel" to the sound, though. Which is what you would miss with only headphones.