Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best place online to buy movie posters

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looking for suggestions beyond the obvious allposters, etc. for cheap, reliable places online to buy movie posters. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deep Discount is one good place. I don't know if they would be considered cheap per se, as I think most of their posters are in the $15 range, but they have a pretty mind boggling selection, including some surprisingly obscure stuff.

There may be other specialty sites that might outdo them, but they're the best mainstream site in terms of pure selection that I've seen.
Old 04-29-08, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of then. Unfortunately, almost all their posters are small 11x17 ones.
Old 04-29-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay's always a good source for posters. I've bought many from there.
Old 05-09-08, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Deep Discount is one good place. I don't know if they would be considered cheap per se, as I think most of their posters are in the $15 range, but they have a pretty mind boggling selection, including some surprisingly obscure stuff.

There may be other specialty sites that might outdo them, but they're the best mainstream site in terms of pure selection that I've seen.
They dont list specs on all of them, but the ones that do indicate they are 11"x17" rather than the "official" size prints of 27"x40" (and yes, priced at $15.96 as well). That might be what you want, but personally if Im going to hang a poster, I want it to be full size (or close to it).
Old 05-09-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't used them yet, but MovieGoods.com has an amazing selection of reprinted posters in lots of sizes.
Old 05-15-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I second Ebay. There is a fantastic local store in my area called Second Spin. They have a ton of very large movie posters
Old 05-15-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will third eBay. That's the way to go. In the past few months I have gotten the Season 4 Lost Poster from there, as well as posters for The Happening, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Cloverfield. I think it cost me about $60 shipped for all of the ones I just mentioned. The Lost poster set me back $30 so that was the biggest expense.
Old 05-16-08, 09:21 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
I've used MovieGoods.com and can recommend them. Good selection and fast delivery.

You can find a good collection of movie posters, with links to purchase them, at Internet Movie Poster Awards.
Old 05-18-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moviegoods is very expensive and almost all the posters are reprints anyway. Ebay is the only viable option that I've seen.
Old 05-30-08, 02:26 PM

When you say Re-Prints, what do you mean? I'm just getting ready to buy a home and plan on turning the basement into a home theatre. I want the posters to look good, what kind of difference is there between originals & reprints?
Old 05-30-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by ConVerse
When you say Re-Prints, what do you mean? I'm just getting ready to buy a home and plan on turning the basement into a home theatre. I want the posters to look good, what kind of difference is there between originals & reprints?
Depends on what you're looking for. If the poster is from the last 10-15 years get a double sided one. I've heard of double sided reprints but never seen one. Odds are it's original.
Pre mid 80s posters were 27x41 instead of the current 27x40. Most reprints of classic posters are 27x40. Most, but not all will probably be folded instead of rolled. Also there will be a white border, the artwork does not go to the edges. In bottom right corner is a Screen Service number. If Dirty Harry was the 350th film released in '71 the number would be 71/350. On the back of the poster will be the title and SS# stamped in blue/purple ink. A lot of the independent, low budget drive-in and foreign stuff did not use Screen Service and does not have a number.
Until the mid 1960s posters were printed on paper with a flat finish. By this I mean no gloss or sheen, a plain flat appearance.
Old 05-31-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ConVerse
Companies like moviegoods and allposters literally scan original movie posters and reprint them on large glossy photo stock. If you are looking for a cheap alternative to an original poster, this might be your only option. But in general, reprints vary wildly in quality. For example, my A Clockwork Orange reprint has a greenish hue for its blacks instead of black. It bothered me so much that I had to buy an original.

I started out collecting only reprints because of cost, but once I added a few inexpensive originals, it's very, very hard to go back.