DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Best receiver to use with a PS3 and Toshiba A3? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/529273-best-receiver-use-ps3-toshiba-a3.html)

insanecollector 04-10-08 04:30 PM

Best receiver to use with a PS3 and Toshiba A3?

I am looking in the under $400 range and will be connected to a 1080P television via HDMI to DVI.

cgray 04-10-08 04:33 PM

Onkyo 605 is always a good recommendation for this range. I have one and like it a lot.

gimmepilotwings 04-10-08 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cgray
Onkyo 605 is always a good recommendation for this range. I have one and like it a lot.

I second this.

insanecollector 04-10-08 04:54 PM

Since both of these players do on board decoding do I really need an Onkyo 605? How about a HK 247?

pat00139 04-10-08 05:20 PM

Also a good choice. The Yamaha 661 and 663 models are also worth looking into, as well.

trubiet 04-17-08 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by cgray

The onkyo is nice, but I would buy this instead.

http://us.marantz.com/Products/2206.asp

You should be able to get one for less that the retail listed.

We have an onkyo 605, four Marantz SR 5002's, three older Harmon Kardons, and a new Denon 2808 at work. Out of everything we have, I like the Onkyo the least.

I have a Marantz at home and I love it.

Given the choice, the new Denon is great but it is also $1200.

And no, I don't work at an electronics or any kind of retail store.

DJ_Longfellow 04-18-08 02:35 PM

I was curious also...I'm looking to take advantage of the PS3 DTS-HD MA and I know since the player decodes it I do not necessarily need the Onkyo 605. Is the Sony STR-DG720 any good? I have about $150 in GC for Best Buy so my hunt begins there...and their selection generally sucks for receivers.

Also 3 HDMI inputs would be ideal....PS3/360/Cable Box.

Spiky 04-18-08 11:32 PM

No. Sony defiantly refuses to make a good receiver.

Doesn't BB still sell Yamaha?

DJ_Longfellow 04-20-08 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
No. Sony defiantly refuses to make a good receiver.

Doesn't BB still sell Yamaha?

Yes, what one would you recommend from Best Buy?

Side Note: Why does everyone hate SONY receivers also? I've had two over the past 10 years that have held up great. The STR-DA1000ES has been a nice receiver....one of the better looking ones also. I like my blue light too ;)

Sdallnct 04-20-08 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Side Note: Why does everyone hate SONY receivers also?

Hummm because they sound like crap and are under powered (yet they rate themself as very powerful).

They do have pretty lights ;)

DJ_Longfellow 04-20-08 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Hummm because they sound like crap and are under powered (yet they rate themself as very powerful).

They do have pretty lights ;)

Ok, I may branch out this time when I upgrade....any other Receivers have pretty lights that let me know when 5.1 or better is playing through my receiver? ;)

Spiky 04-20-08 10:26 PM

Ok, I'll be nice. The ES series isn't all that bad for sound quality. But their D series are just not good, you don't want to drop down to that. And frankly, if you compare a $1000 ES to Denon or Onkyo, you often find an $800 model that is at least as good for sound quality. I'd rather spend the grand on an even better Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, HK, etc.

DJ_Longfellow 04-21-08 03:22 PM

Thanks...I guess what I'm looking for is 3 HDMI inputs and most of the Yamaha in my price range do not have that. I was hoping to only spend around $400 or so. Sucks that all my gift certificates are in Best Buy money...grrr....CC has a better choice, they have Onkyo.

Spiky 04-21-08 05:47 PM

They are still all testing the waters on HDMI. An option would be to get the receiver you want and an HDMI switcher to augment.