Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to front projector and screen!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Upgrading to front projector and screen!

Old 03-29-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What kind of screen do you have? If it's a pull-down screen it may be a wave.
Old 03-29-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a fixed mount screen. I noticed the issue before the screen was mounted though. I sincerely hope it's not the wall!
Old 03-29-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is it curved? If there are straight lines but the angles are off, it could just be that the projector wasn't squared up properly. If it's really curved, there could be something wrong with the optics. Can you take a picture of it for us to see?
Old 03-30-08, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll take a shot today and post it.
Old 03-30-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Drexl...

Thanks for responding. Here's the lens calibration shot:

Screen shot

Note that it slopes down and to the right. I think you may be right about the blocking. If so, I'm going to give the installer a call and have him correct it.
Old 04-02-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UPDATE: I had to "fire" my original installer by stopping payment on their check because they didn't do a good job. I have folks that are familiar with the projector coming out on Friday to hopefully correct this issue. They seem very knowledgeable with the VW60 and will assess the issue. It may be that the projector is not "on square" with the screen.
Old 04-02-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
UPDATE: I had to "fire" my original installer by stopping payment on their check because they didn't do a good job. I have folks that are familiar with the projector coming out on Friday to hopefully correct this issue. They seem very knowledgeable with the VW60 and will assess the issue. It may be that the projector is not "on square" with the screen.
in order to get the geometry exactly right, the screen must be perfectly flat (not too difficult with a fixed screen) and the projector must be positioned such that the lens is exactly parallel with the screen (both vertically and horizontally). that can require a lot of fine tuning, depending on your throw distance, screen size, etc. hopefully the new guys you hired will be able to take care of it.

that being said, minor geometry issues probably won't be too noticeable when you're watching an actual movie.
Old 04-02-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

kefrank...

I hope so as well. It's not too bad when you have stuff that fills the screen, but everything looks sloped. I don't think the original installers really took the time to do that.

My screen is a flat-mounted 92 inch diagonal, it appears virtually flush mounted to the wall, but I think the positioning of the projector is off.
Old 04-03-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whew! Sounds tricky! Maybe you need a rocket scientist.
Old 04-04-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IT IS FIXED!

You're not gonna believe this one! After the new guy came in and adjusted the projector as best he could, he called his boss (the guy I spoke to the other day). The solution was... to move the screen! The center of the room horizontally is 69.75 inches, but the other lunkheads mounted my projector at 74 inches. That five inch offset caused the problem. All we had to do was slide the screen over to the left (it hangs on a wall mount with a lip) to match the projector center and presto! Everything is now as it should be!
Old 04-05-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, that's 100% believable, precisely what was expected by everyone who commented. Had similar growing pains with mine. Glad you figured it out.
Old 04-05-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for everyone's input. Being a projector newbie has its challenges!
Old 04-07-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, it's been a week, and I watched a few things on my projector. It is my opinion that my display shows the advantage of Blu-ray over upconverted DVDs in many areas. Look at the screen caps I've done and you'll see. Of course the caveat is that some DVDs are mastered better than others, so it's always going to be a YMMV deal.

My wife and I watched Enchanted on Saturday and it packs a real punch, especially scenes where characters are wearing near-primary colors (the shot I grabbed shows the blue construction workers particularly). I am very happy with my set-up now and will keep tweaking the display until I have it ISF-calibrated.