Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Staying with DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only purchase standard DVDs for these reasons
1) a TV series that I've already started collecting, or full frame TV sets
2) special interest or indie films that probably won't make it out on BR.
3) $5.00 Wal-Mart Bin, etc.

Everything else has been HD-DVD and more recently Blu.

I don't see how anyone could not switch to hi-def, especially if one has a 1080p TV.
Old 03-20-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I went "Blu" about a month ago, I've actually saved money, and guess what? I'm still buying DVDs as well.

First off, this whole "Blu-ray is too expensive" thing is getting ridiculous. Yes, Blu-ray is more expensive than DVD, but what do you expect? Usually the price difference is $5-$10 from the DVD version, but you're getting 1080p and the best audio for the feature. You're also saving space on your shelves for more discs. Eventually, Blu-ray discs will be around the price of what DVDs are now, when DVD prices go down even more. Sure that might get even more people to buy DVDs because it'll be what the price of what renting is, but you'll still be paying less for Blu-ray discs.

I do still buy DVDs, however. Blu-ray still doesn't release all titles, and being a TV on DVD buyer; I'll pretty much never stop buying titles on DVD. Some movies aren't released on BD either. This week for example, "Atonement" was only available on DVD and HD DVD. I bought the DVD because a) I don't feel like waiting for a BD release and b) I don't have an HD DVD player.

Now I know some people might look at my switch to BD as "silly" or "stupid" considering I don't have a HDTV yet. I'm actually watching Blu-ray discs on a 13" Phillips TV/VCR combo, and yes, I can't tell much of a difference, but I'm viewing 480i not 1080i or 1080p. I can still tell the difference a little, however. The colors are much brighter and richer on some BDs, and compression, digital noise, and grain is less noticeable.

People can do what they want with their money, but you might find yourself saving some dough if you switch to Blu-ray.
Old 03-21-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by trubiet
I agree with you 100% on that part. People go out and Buy HD or BD discs thinking they will work. There is not enough information given to the public at your average store, or for that matter from some stores that should know better.
To be fair, there never has been. The tech has just gotten more complicated, so it's becoming more obvious just how little info you can get at a store.
Old 03-21-08, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by american-pie92
Plus the price for Blu Ray and Players are insane expensive compared to SDVD.
I believe I paid almost $400 for my first standard DVD player, and that was nearly half off on clearance. That was about 2 years after DVD players came out, not right at the beginning. I don't believe at the time you could find DVDs for much less than $20. (the few that you could find)

New technologies cost more money. If you want to experience that technology, there's a price. Heck, I paid over $2000 for my first computer (and that didn't include a monitor or printer!). You can't enjoy it if you don't buy it...
Old 03-21-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, Bluray is on almost a mirror path with DVD for pricing vs age. The discs are a little pricier, but not the players.
Old 03-30-08, 12:03 PM

Well my A35 does a great job of upconverting and get to watch some HD movies with lossless audio It does such a good job upconverting I'm waiting BD out till I can buy one for about what I paid for the A35($149) . If there is a movie I need to see, I'll rent it and if I need to buy it I'll just wait till I find it on sale ($7.50 or under) two months later .
I'm not paying these insane prices! In my opinion if we as consumers keep buying these players & movies at these prices, we don't give these companies any reason to lower their prices ( IT'S A BUSINESS!).
My opinion,if the audio codecs are of no interest then go buy an A3 for around $69 or an A30 for $99(saw it at CC on closeout) (I have the A3 also and it does a decent job of upconverting but not as well as the A35 though)You can enjoy some HD movies and upconvert the rest.
to me there is no movie I need to see that bad for me to pay those prices! Well maybe I would for "The Lord of The Rings Trilogy"
Old 04-01-08, 09:22 AM

I am now hook to Blu-Ray.All though my SD DVD collection is sizeable I will only
buy new titles on Blu-Ray and not double dip. But I have to confess that only
3 titles which I did dp- Spider-Man 3, 300 and Ratatouille.