Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Real stupid question about receivers regarding video

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-16-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I've always been under the impression that Receivers were used to optimize the audio from a DVD (as well as other audion uses), which of course, they are; but how exactly does video benefit from using a receiver?

I've got an old (late '90s) Sony receiver I use for 5.1 DD and DTS but I don't think I've got any video cables running through it. Am I missing out on some great advantage by not using it for video? As it stands now video cables go directly from my DVD player and cable box straight to my TV while audio cables run from DVD player and cable box through the receiver then out to the TV.
Old 03-16-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I think unless you get an upconverting receiver (should such a thing exist) the main benefit is 'one stop shopping'. I have all my video going through my receiver, just because I have *everything* going through it, and by doing that I multiply my TV's ports (I only have one HD component input on my TV, but four or so on the receiver.) It was a lot cheaper to buy the receiver than a new tv, and more convenient to run all through the receiver than get a standalone video switchbox or manually switch cables each time.
Old 03-16-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
I think unless you get an upconverting receiver (should such a thing exist) the main benefit is 'one stop shopping'. I have all my video going through my receiver, just because I have *everything* going through it, and by doing that I multiply my TV's ports (I only have one HD component input on my TV, but four or so on the receiver.) It was a lot cheaper to buy the receiver than a new tv, and more convenient to run all through the receiver than get a standalone video switchbox or manually switch cables each time.
only downside to running your video through the receiver is that it always needs to be on in order to watch anything.
Old 03-16-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

True. In my case I have all the audio through it as well, so if I am watching something, the receiver's on as well anyway. The receiver and TV are the cornerstones of my "home theater" so they are on for anything.
Old 03-16-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
only downside to running your video through the receiver is that it always needs to be on in order to watch anything.
How is that a down side? You like worse sound?

Oh, and receivers do upconvert now. Certain ones with HDMI.

Last edited by Spiky; 03-16-08 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
How is that a down side? You like worse sound?

BC i dont feel the need to watch everything with surround sound.
Old 03-16-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me neither. I'm watching a movie right now. It's so old that stereo was not a familiar concept at the time, let alone surround. However, I still prefer real speakers, even if it's only one.
Old 03-16-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't even know if I've got audio going to the TV from some of my devices. Once I had everything working with the receiver, I probably quit wiring, it's already an octopus nest (I can definitely see an advantage of HDMI, but upgrading everything would be way out of budget). I always use the receiver, it does a pretty good job of 'faking' surround from 2.0 programs, and even on older stuff, one of the DSP options makes the sound field a little fuller.
Old 03-16-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video switching is great. Oppo upconverting DVD player, HD DVD player, Blu-ray player and cable HD DVR all connected to my receiver via HDMI, with a single HDMI cable running to the TV. The TV remains set to that one input, and the built-in speakers are turned off. All video and audio switching are handled by the receiver.