Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

OPPO DV-980H: question about hooking up HDD

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, so i have been reading reviews about this dvd upconversion player that also plays divx files off your hdd. Have read some really good reviews on it and was wondering if anyone here has the dvd player? I really like the USB feature so i can hook up my hdd. Does anyone know though if it will accept ANY Hdd that is formatted in FAT32? I'm curious how easy it is to use once the HDD is hooked up.
I'm not ready for a blue ray player so this player seems like the next greatest thing. Not sure how noticeably better my dvd's will look but it plays divx, and has a USB port which no blue ray player (that i know of, correct me if im wrong) has. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't answer your question, but you can download the owner's manual from Oppo's Web site.
Old 03-06-08, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From the manual:
This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device class. Other USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones may not be compatible.
Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table) or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with NTFS file system are not supported.
Old 03-06-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I have only used a thumbdrive on mine, with great success. I'll give an external HDD a spin on it tonight and report back.

Old 03-06-08, 04:18 PM

cool, thanks guys for the info. Would love to hear back from you mike about how it goes. I'm just curious if i can get just about any external usb fat32 hdd and it will work, and also how easy and intuitive the hdd is to use once hooked up. thanks!
Old 03-08-08, 02:55 PM

did you test it out yet mike?
Old 03-11-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I just copied some downloaded AVIs to an old USB pocket drive (cheapie external enclosure from geeks.com, old notebook IDE drive from junk box) and it played like a champ. FF and RW worked fine and the crappy little videos were upscaled by the Oppo and looked surprisingly good on my 61" RP DLP. Note that it doesn't play WMV, just AVI (all flavors of DIVX 3-6).
Old 03-15-08, 01:38 PM

thanks mike for the input. So i was thinking of buying a cheap little Kingston 4GB DataTraveler USB 2.0 Flash Drive. never have had one of these before, so do you think it will work in the dvd player? do i have to format it to FAT32? Thanks!
Old 03-15-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhome83
thanks mike for the input. So i was thinking of buying a cheap little Kingston 4GB DataTraveler USB 2.0 Flash Drive. never have had one of these before, so do you think it will work in the dvd player? do i have to format it to FAT32? Thanks!
I have a Philips DVP5982 rather than the Oppo, but I use a 4 GB Kingston DataTraveler with it. It was formatted at FAT32 right out of the box. Works fine.
Old 03-15-08, 04:14 PM

sweet, gonna buy one of these right now. Thanks steve!
Old 03-25-08, 05:14 PM

thanks for that info viper. I was about to buy a fat hdd (500GB) but looks like it wouldn't even work for the player. Where did you get that info? Does it say it in the manuel or have you tried large hdd's? I ordered the player this week along with a usb flash drive (only 4gb, but should be fine for now.)