Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New 2008 Sony Receivers - includes 4 HDMI + TrueHD/DTS HD MA decoding

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-26-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEW SONY 1080P AUDIO/VIDEO RECEIVERS MANAGE HIGH-DEFINITION HOME THEATER DEMANDS

Models Optimized for Latest HD Sources and Simple Connectivity

LAS VEGAS, Feb. 26, 2008 – Providing a simplified approach to high-definition home theater management, Sony today unveiled a line of four A/V receivers offering high-definition performance, easy set-up and control through a unique icon-driven menu system.

Each of the new models simplify home theater operation by serving as a central hub for audio and HD video home theater components, converging all sources to one HDMI™ output from the receiver to the display.

Designed for optimal high-definition home theater performance, the models include such features as 1080/24p True Cinema video pass-through, advanced audio codec support, and upscaling of all standard definition video sources to 1080p via HDMI when connected to a 1080p-capable HDTV set.

“Our new line of A/V receivers serve as the heart of any high-definition home theater system by synchronizing all audio and HD video sources to deliver a smooth, high quality home theater experience,” said Brennan Mullin, vice president for audio products for Sony Electronics’ Digital Imaging and Audio Division. “The new receivers offer an easy and affordable solution to complete the important second half of the high-definition equation – cinematic surround sound that complements the picture.”

Optimized High-Definition Support

The new STR-DG920 and STR-DG820 7.1 channel A/V receivers offer 110 watts of power per channel and are equipped to support the latest in high-definition formats with 1080/60p and 24p True Cinema video signal pass-through.

Featuring four HDMI™ inputs, the models support the latest audio formats – Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby® TrueHD, dts® High Resolution Audio and dts® HD Master Audio. The models also support x.v.Color™ technology (xvYCC) which offers a wider spectrum of colors from source to receiver to an x.v.Color-compliant HDTV.

Additionally, the STR-DG920 model supports Deep Color™ for greater color depth on compatible televisions and upscales standard-definition video content to 1080p via HDMI with a 1080p-capable HDTV set. The model features an icon-driven menu system for simple device and content navigation.

Also included is Sony’s Digital Media Port. This adds networking and connectivity to the AV receivers for music playback from various sources with optional accessories, including audio cradles compatible with select Walkman® players and iPod® products, a PC client device and a Bluetooth® adapter. Once the accessory is connected, the device can be powered and controlled by the receiver for enhanced home theater experience.

An upgraded Portable Audio Enhancer improves the clarity and depth of any connected digital music player by adding information to the audio signal that had been removed during compression for an improved audio experience. Additionally, the units are XM Connect-and-Play™ ready with 5.1 Neural Surround Sound.

The models incorporate Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) for simplified multi-channel surround sound setup. In about 20 to 30 seconds, the system automatically adjusts frequency, distance and level for optimal performance.

The STR-DG920 model will be available in June for about $600, while the STR-DG820 system will be available in May for about $400.

Full HD 1080p and HDMI Connectivity

The new STR-DG720 7.1 channel A/V receiver, with 105 watts of power per channel, features three HDMI inputs that support 1080/60p and 24p video signal pass-through, plus up to eight channels of uncompressed LPCM audio. It work with XM Radio and will be available in March for about $300.

At 100 watts, the STR-DG520 5.1 channel A/V receiver offers two HDMI inputs with 1080/60p and 24p video signal pass-through. It will be available in March for about $200.

Both models include Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) technology, Digital Media Port, Digital Cinema Sound processing for studio quality reproduction, and Portable Audio Enhancer.

The new line of A/V receivers will be available through sonystyle.com, at Sony Style retail stores, at military base exchanges and at authorized dealers nationwide.
Old 02-26-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I previously tested the 2007 model, STR-DG910 and was quite impressed. I think my new receiver of choice will be the STR-DG820. 4 HDMI + lossless audio decoding for under $400? Um, yes please.
Old 02-27-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt very much that Sony is going to change their policy of making really shitty amps for their receivers. I'd take a comparable Onkyo in a heartbeat. And now Yamahas are coming out....and so on.
Old 02-27-08, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The pricing for these isn't bad at all. I am more than likely going to test them at ABT this summer and consider a purchase.

Pro-B
Old 02-27-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
I doubt very much that Sony is going to change their policy of making really shitty amps for their receivers. I'd take a comparable Onkyo in a heartbeat. And now Yamahas are coming out....and so on.
I agree and without trying to rain on anyone's parade, the STR line of Sony receivers are very low quality amps.
Old 02-27-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same opinion here. Sony is low low low quality in home theater sound.
Old 02-27-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Alright not meaning to hijack this thread but from the reviews I have read online ( and mind you this is mostly from user reviews ) the STR-DG910 was one of the better recieved amps I read about. So why so much hate for the the Sony amps? I was very satisfied with my STR-DE975 since it supplied me with every thing I wanted and was more user friendly than some of the other amps. I will admit to being a Sony guy. But I am willing to try something differrent if you guys could educate me a bit more.
Old 02-27-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, taking your 975....it says it is a stereo receiver, yet they sell it for surround sound. And the amp specs for surround reflect that.

Also, it claims to accept Dolby Digital and DTS, but seems to say it outputs only Dolby Surround from those. Dolby Surround was replaced in 1986 or so. But I'm not sure, their documentation is very convoluted.

Sony and Onkyo are pretty good at user friendliness. Denon is atrocious.
Old 02-28-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Do they make ES receivers anymore?
Old 02-28-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony receivers--big on bells and whistles, total crap for amps and actual sound quality. Your money would be *much* better spent on a Denon, or Onkyo, or Yamha, or even H-K. Heck, I'm thinking of upgrading to a new Yamaha that includes the automatic speaker adjustment (sound and equalization). Even though I have the same speakers front and back (NHT Superzeros), the tone is noticeably different when adjusting balance manually with the white noise signals.
Old 02-29-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
Do they make ES receivers anymore?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...3300ESB&tp=179
Old 03-01-08, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by drmoze
Sony receivers--big on bells and whistles, total crap for amps and actual sound quality. Your money would be *much* better spent on a Denon, or Onkyo, or Yamha, or even H-K...
In terms of sound quality, which receiver under $1000 would you recommend as one with the best value for the money?
Old 03-01-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Currently? Probably the Onkyo 805. If you have very efficient speakers, you could get by with the lesser power of the 705.

Denon, Yamaha, Marantz (if they aren't catching on fire this year), Outlaw Audio, Harmon Kardon are some others that are usually excellent value for sound quality. But they are all behind on HDMI and the new codecs. I keep seeing reports of receivers, news releases, high end (over $1000) models, etc. Not so many under $1000 yet. But if they are starting to populate shelves with the latest tech, you can bet the sound will still be good.
Old 03-01-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
Yea...imo, being Sony makes it a deal killer. What good is 4-HDMI if it just outputs crap on all 4 of those?

Yup, I'd go H/K, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo and if I had the $$ I'd go Outlaw. (I currently have two different H/K models.)
Old 03-01-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Outlaw's receiver is usually only $500 or so. But currently they have none. Which suggests something new in the pipeline.

It would be easier to buy a receiver from them if they made just a couple versions. They usually have only one, and if there is one feature you really need (like the right number/type of inputs) that they missed, you need to look elsewhere. Too bad, since they have such great stuff.
Old 03-01-08, 11:19 PM

the Sony ES line is very good. it's a popular receiver and talked about alot over at the avs forums. I have had the 5200es and now the 5300es. very nice. it depends on what onkyo and denon receivers they're compared to. don't believe the fud about them. they don't have heat issues like the new onkyo's. their sound quality compared to some other higher end recievers might not be as good, but it ain't far behind. check cnet's review. very good.
Old 03-02-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Sony ES line is/was good. But that's if you are looking to spend over $1000 for your receiver.