Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the wonderful world of cable TV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After long resisting I finally decided to get cable TV. I haven't really used cable much recently so please bear w/ me if some of these seem like basic questions I was able to get everything set up ok (so far I still have to hook in the DVR they gave me) but I'm wondering about a few things. It is HD/digital cable and my main TV (Sony plasma) was able to tune in the channels I was looking for just off the cable from the wall. So my first question is what do I need the cable box for, is it just for the extra services (online TV guide/PPV/those sorts of things)? Similarly, I also noticed my other, older, "cable ready" TV wasn't able to find anything, I assume that's because it's not digital cable ready right? If I pick up a new digital cable ready TV though I should be able to ditch the box (unless I want the PPV/TV guide thing), right?

Regarding the DVR/integrated cable box they gave me, unfortunately I don't recall the model... it was something like 8300HD if that's a popular model, I plan on linking that into the plasma connection mentioned above (so from the wall to the DVR to the TV), and then I'll take the HDMI output and hook that into my receiver. So the thought is I can still use the TV w/o the DVR if I want too, but if I want the surround sound/watch things that have been recorded I can use the receiver/HDMI input on the TV. That should work right? As far as the DVR itself though, how universal are these? What I mean is renting it from my cable company is going to get pretty old pretty quick I assume, so can I replace this w/ something off the shelf? From the look of it that pretty much seems to mean getting a TIVO. Are there other options that don't require a subscription? Can a TIVO be used w/o a subscription? Am I going to lose any features by not using their cable box/DVR (if it's just PPV that's really of little interest to me)? Does all this depend upon my cable company (it's Cox Communications)?

Appreciate any help...
Old 02-26-08, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'll try to help as I'm bored before my class starts.

Your DVR and Cable box is one unit, correct?

If you subscribed to HD Programming, you'll need the cable box to get those features. I have Comcast cable and my DVR is built in the cable box (or set top box). Without my DVR set top box, I will not receive HD Programming and any premium channels I subscribed to, as well as, the on-screen TV guide, ON Demand and so on. My DVR Set top box is connected to my HDTV via HDMI and that's the only connection I use for video and audio for regular television viewing. Of course, I have Audio cables coming from the STB to my surround sound receiver, so If I'm watching an HD film ON Demand, I can change it to surround sound.

Your older cable-ready television should be able to pick up basic cable (straight from the wall to your TV), regardless if it's not digital cable ready. You probably already done so, but have you tried the menu and scan feature on your television to search for channels?

Just to clear things up. You have 1 Plasma television, 1 regular cable-ready television and 1 DVR Set top box, as well as the option of basic cable coming from the wall?
Old 02-26-08, 12:24 PM

Your DVR and Cable box is one unit, correct?
Yep, I do seem to get some HD channels w/o it in the loop though.

You probably already done so, but have you tried the menu and scan feature on your television to search for channels?
Yep tried that on one of them and didn't get anything. I haven't tried the other one yet though as that TV is further from the wall jack.

Just to clear things up. You have 1 Plasma television, 1 regular cable-ready television and 1 DVR Set top box, as well as the option of basic cable coming from the wall?
Close, and I probably should have explained it better , 1 plasma, 2 regular cable-ready TVs, 1 DVR/cable box combo and 1 cable box. If possible I would like to get rid of their hardware (to cut down on cost) in favor of having the cable go directly to the TV, and my own DVR.
Old 02-26-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your HD channels without the box are broadcast channels. Cable companies often send the local broadcast stations over their line in QAM encoding. Most TVs can decode this just as if it came from an antenna. You won't get the cable HD channels for free like this: ESPN, Discovery, etc.

Tivo can be used without a subscription, or at least some of them can, but you are missing out on a lot of features. A PC as DVR would be superior, I imagine.

The bundled DVRs are almost always superior to a standalone, although the HD Tivos can be more integrated with cable, now. If you like having a DVR, you better get used to a monthly payment. It's just part of my life, now. I wouldn't see half the shows I watch if it wasn't for Tivo.
Old 03-04-08, 03:06 PM

Well I think we finally got most of it figured out. It turns out most of the jacks in my house weren't wired properly, neither of the boxes they sent out were cleared/reconfigured properly from the last time they were used and they didn't have all the "tiers" we had ordered activated. So now the DVR is connected to the plasma, the 2nd TV (w/ the box) is working fine and the 3rd TV (w/o the box) also picks up most of the expanded channels (we don't get the on-demand or the "guide") but it works We're going to stick w/ their DVR for now but I'll probably keep an eye out for good TIVO deals to maybe eventually swap out. I think we need to wait for the bill to see how much we are paying for it. BTW I thought TIVO had a lifetime subscription option, is that no longer available?

Last edited by nemein; 03-04-08 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, lifetime went away years ago. Sad.
Old 03-05-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tivo lifetime is still available for $399 through the beginning of April if you know someone who already has Tivo service. They need to buy it and then transfer it to you.
Old 03-05-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interestingly, the Tivo HD is on Woot today.