Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need help with grainy picture (envision 32 LCDTV & philips 5982)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do i need hdmi and ypbbr?

I recently got an envision 32" lcdtv on sale at staples(http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH)

I was a little hesitant about the brand, but I read a lot of positive reviews online.

I also just picked up the Philips DVP5982 upscaling player but the picture still doesn't look good (it looks the same as my regular DVD player that was hooked up with the normal composite cable). I have it hooked up with an HDMI cable i just got from monoprice. I played around with some of the resolution settings and still nothing.

The manual mentions that I would need the YPbPr cables to have progressive scan output. Will i need that to make the picture look good? I'm a new at this some any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, one or the other. And progressive is also available via HDMI, the manual is probably copied from an older manual.
Old 02-25-08, 07:22 PM

Sorry to start another thread so soon, but I thought the other title wouldn't help me. I recently got an envision 32" lcdtv on sale at staples(http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH)

I was a little hesitant about the brand, but I read a lot of positive reviews online.

I also just picked up the Philips DVP5982 upscaling player and hooke it up with an HDMI from monoprice and the picture doesn't look very good. It looks the same as it did when i had the composite cables.

The main problem is that the picture is very grainy. Which video settings can I adjust to help with this problem? Is there an online tutorial somewhere that will walk me through setting up the difference options in the video menu on the tv?

Last edited by wennma01; 02-25-08 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the exact same question as your other thread. There's no need to start multiple threads on the same subject. You can always e-mail a mod to ask for a title change.

Oh, and your link goes the main Staples page.
Old 02-25-08, 09:39 PM

sorry about the double post, i thought my question would have gotten lost. so will going through one of those online calibration tutorials help the grainyness, or might there be another problem that I am running into
Old 02-25-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you say you've "played around with some of the resolution settings," what did you end up leaving the player set to output?
Old 02-26-08, 10:27 AM

It might be that you need to calibrate your tv. If the contrast is too high and the sharpness is too high then it will seem overly sharpened and grainy. Or it could just be the particular dvd you're watching has a grainy transfer. What resolution is your dvd player outputing?
Old 02-26-08, 04:12 PM

right now i have the 32 in with 720p and thats what i had the dvd outputting at. part of the problem was the settings in the HDMI setup menu on the philips player didn't seem to automatically change, but i had to turn of the player and turn it back on to have them register.

i used the THX calibration app on my Star Wars dvd and the picture is much improved but i still think it could be better. i may pick up a dedicated calibration dvd. are they availble in b&m? how much do they usually cost and where would i look for them in the store.?