DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Banana Plugs to 3.5 or 6.3mm Headphone Jack Adapter?

Old 02-20-08, 10:24 PM

Banana Plugs to 3.5 or 6.3mm Headphone Jack Adapter?

It's been a while since I posted here, but I have always found solid advice so here's my question: Is there an adapter that will let me use headphones w/ a 3.5 or 6.3mm headphone to connect directly to the banana plugs on the back of my receiver? If you need more info, please ask. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Zim Hosein; 02-20-08 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm no expert, but the banana plug outputs on your amp are for passive speakers only, while headphones are active speakers. I think. At least that's how it is with subs. Subs with bare wire connectors are passive, while ones with rca plugs are active.
Why not just use the headphone out jack on the front of the amp, or a 2-rca to 3.5mm adaptor cable on the rca output of the amp?
Old 02-21-08, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Banana Plugs are for speaker wires dude!
Old 02-23-08, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by fmian
I'm no expert, but the banana plug outputs on your amp are for passive speakers only, while headphones are active speakers. I think. At least that's how it is with subs. Subs with bare wire connectors are passive, while ones with rca plugs are active.
Why not just use the headphone out jack on the front of the amp, or a 2-rca to 3.5mm adaptor cable on the rca output of the amp?
I did not want to use the headphone jack on the front of my receiver because I wanted to have a clean look to my setup. My receiver only has those screw-type connectors on the back for banana plugs or bare wire. It also as an A & B switch so that I can choose which set of speakers I want my audio out put sent, the A set is for a full 5.1 setup, while the B set is for a stereo seup. I was thinking that I could use the B set to hook up a pair of quality headphones so that I could play video games late at night w/ out disturbing my neighbors. Looks like I may have to use the front headphone jack which is going to stick out like a sore thumb unless someone has a better idea!
Old 02-24-08, 03:42 PM

As others have said, those jacks are intended for speaker connections; they deliver higher power output than headphones are designed to handle. You will likely ruin your headphones and/or your ears if you aren't super extra careful. But if you insist on tinkering...A quick and dirty way to make the connection is to get a headphone extension cable, cut the plug off, separate out the 3 individual wires inside cable, and connect the 3 wire ends to the 4 screw terminals. Then plug your headphones into the jack at the other (uncut) end of the cable. Then hold your breath, turn it on, stand back and hope nothing gets fried. This definitely falls into the "don't try this at home...trained professionals..." category.

Another idea is to find an electronics geek and ask them to install a headphone jack in the rear panel of your receiver. The job will involve drilling and soldering and $5 worth of parts. It would be simple for an experienced technician. Try a tv or stereo repair shop if you don't know anyone who is into that sort of thing.
Old 02-24-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure I understand your concern for a "clean" setup and why you think that plugging the headphones up front will stick out "like a sore thumb" all the time.

If you're using the headphones, yes they're going to be attached to the front of your receiver, and yes they'll "stick out". However, once you're done with the headphones, you unplug them and put them away. Nothing is left on the front of the receiver to stick out at all.

Conversely, even if you do manage to get a connection for the headphones in the rear, what then? If you leave the headphones plugged in all the time, you're going to have to hide them somehow anyway since they'll stick out like a sore them, and if you plan to unplug them and put them away when not in use, you'll then have a headphone extension cable you'll have to hide from view, unless you plan on digging around to the back of your setup every time you want to plug them in.
Old 10-29-18, 02:54 PM

Re: Banana Plugs to 3.5 or 6.3mm Headphone Jack Adapter?

That's all bologna that those people have told you. I have built my own cables to run headphones directly from the speaker terminals. I use it on headphones that are difficult to power and low impedance headphones as well. You do have to be very careful to use low impedance headphones as most speaker amplifiers can easily overpower them and burn them up. You have to, always, make sure your volume is all the way down before you start the music. You would have to have a dedicated amplifier for the headphones because it wouldn't work to have headphones and speakers hooked to the same amp. With high impedance headphones it would be much harder to overpower them. Planar magnetic headphones also often require more power than is usually available in headphone amplifiers. I have a Schiit Lyr headphone amplifier that puts out over 6 watts and it won't power my Hifiman HE-600s. I use the direct adapter for them and have no problems with overpowering them. You just have to watch the volume on any headphone that is hooked to the amp. If they start to distort, turn them down. You are likely listening to it way too loud if they start to distort, anyway. Remember that hearing damage can be permanent and you can blow up your headphones unless you are very careful.