DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Audio/video dropouts

Old 02-20-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio/video dropouts

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help me out on this.

I have an LCD HDTV hooked up via HDMI to an HD-PVR. Last night I started noticing audio/video dropouts while watching tv (the audio would dropout intermittently for a split second , coinciding with the screen also going black for that amount of time). At first I thought it was the signal, but when I rewound the broadcast the dropouts weren't in the same place. It was happening a few times per minute, on average.

So I narrowed it down to either a problem with the HD-PVR, the HDMI cable, or the HDMI input on my TV.

Now a couple of days ago there were a couple of split second power outages in my home. After each outage I checked my PureAV surge protector to check that all the lights still indicated the situation was good and I saw no problem. I did not notice these audio/video dropouts until a couple days after the power outages.

Just for the heck of it, today I switched off the surge protector, waited a few seconds and then switched it back on. After everything had rebooted I watched a couple of channels for a few minutes and I did not notice anymore dropouts.

Does anyone know if a power outage (even if it does not damage the surge protector) can somehow cause some kind of circuitry in the protector to kick in, resulting in this kind of audio/video dropouts, and if simply switching on/off the protector is the final solution? I'm just hoping it's not a more serious problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the reboot of the DVR had a lot more to do with this than anything about the surge protector.
Old 02-21-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't notice anymore dropouts yesterday evening so it looks like turning off/on the surge protector, forcing a reboot of the HD-PVR did the trick. After some googling yesterday, it looks to me like it was an HDMI handshake issue. Phew!