Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems W/Audio shutting off Help Pls.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Yamaha Rx-V661 receiver, Klipsch B2 bookshelves all around (6) Klipsch C2 center and Klipsch 10" powered sub & a Samsung Dual format player. When I'm watching loud films like say Transformers, the audio will just cut out and the receiver shuts down. I've checked all my speaker cables and nothing is touching anything so there's no short. Maybe my settings are off or something but, I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Hs anyone else dealt with this issue and if so, how did you correct it so that you can play it as loud as you want without any overload situations?

Thanks
Old 02-10-08, 09:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
My one suggestion from personal experience is to check the gauge of the speaker wire and make sure its the same. I had one wire that was a 12 and the rest were 16 so there was a flow imbalance. My two cents. Good luck, I hope its something simple.
Old 02-11-08, 06:13 AM

All the wire is the same. I bought some Monster "in wall/out" speaker cable that's twisted around itself and in a "thickish" sheath and used that for all the speakers save the sub. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 02-11-08, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds to me like you are clipping the amp and triggering some kind of heat/overload protection.

Does this only happen on dvd's or other sources too?
Old 02-11-08, 07:03 AM

I only use this amp for DVDs. HD/BR & SD.
Old 02-11-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by buckee1
I only use this amp for DVDs. HD/BR & SD.
Well the amp at 90 w/pc should not have any problems unless you are trying to play it at absurd volumes.

You could try just the fm tuner to see if it will do it there. If so the problem maybe in the dvd player. Otherwise if you are sure that no speaker cables are touching then it must be something in the amp. I cannot say if it is a flaw or you are simply driving it too hard.

How big is the room?
Old 02-11-08, 08:44 AM

I could just be driving it too hard as you've said. The room is fairly large (finished basement) I am unsure of the dimensions but again, it's pretty big. 1700Sq ft. roughly. I boosted the gain on my sub last evening to get a little more rumble and that worked out well. could that have anything to do with it?
Old 02-11-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I could just be driving it too hard as you've said. The room is fairly large (finished basement) I am unsure of the dimensions but again, it's pretty big. 1700Sq ft. roughly. I boosted the gain on my sub last evening to get a little more rumble and that worked out well. could that have anything to do with it?
Well a 1700 sq ft. room is huge, my theater is only 285 sq ft. If the sub is powered then no, I would say that is not the problem.

If you are trying to fill a 1700 sq ft. room with 90 w/pc and book shelf speakers then yes I would say you are driving it too hard and it is likely the overload protection kicking in.
Old 02-11-08, 08:55 AM

Sounds like that may indeed be my issue. I'll crank it down bit and see what happens. I'll also give the tuner a try. Thanks for the help Brian.
Old 02-11-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get an SPL meter and set the audio up properly. If you haven't done this, you are probably driving one channel too far, which is all it takes.

And it never hurts to triple check the wires. One tiny strand is all it takes. One strand won't send it into protection instantly, but at lower volumes than if all is perfect.
Old 02-12-08, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Get an SPL meter and set the audio up properly. If you haven't done this, you are probably driving one channel too far, which is all it takes.

And it never hurts to triple check the wires. One tiny strand is all it takes. One strand won't send it into protection instantly, but at lower volumes than if all is perfect.
Ok, were do I get an "SPL" Meter and how do I use it? I'll re-check my wires as well. This particular receiver tells you if that's an issue but, I'll re-check them as well.
Old 02-12-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, were do I get an "SPL" Meter and how do I use it? I'll re-check my wires as well. This particular receiver tells you if that's an issue but, I'll re-check them as well.
Radio Shack sells a good one, I have one for my theater. The instructions are fairly simple and you will understand what it is telling you when you use it. Much better than trying to balance by ear alone.

If you have bare stranded wire you can also buy ends to fit your speakers and receiver.
Old 02-12-08, 08:45 AM

Thank you. When the weather breaks here (wintry michigan) I'll head on over to Radio Shack.
Old 02-12-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks something like this:

Old 02-13-08, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Sounds to me like you are clipping the amp and triggering some kind of heat/overload protection.

Does this only happen on dvd's or other sources too?

Clipping the Amp, exactly what I was going to say.
Old 02-13-08, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
It looks something like this:

Thanks for the looky loo. now I know what I'm looking for.