Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sound system for a small bedroom.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I just upgraded my movie watching setup in my bedroom this week.

It was a 13" mono Sony TV and PS2 (I had been resorting to watching DVDs on my 20" LCD monitor on the computer with headphones.)

I now have a 20" 720p LCD HDTV, a HD-D3 HD-DVD player (tried the cheaper Philips upconverting player, but when I got it home, it was cheaply made, wasn't working very well with HDMI, and froze twice; upon returning it, the clerk said a lot of people brought them back), and Logitech X-540 "Computer" Speaker system (basically the analog audio plugs into a y-adapter from the DVD player and that feeds into the subwoofer).

The sound seems good for $80, but I can't help but think there has to be a cheaper alternative out there for good solid 2.1 sound under $150. The X-540 has five speakers, but due to very limited space, I can only use three, so I'm considering returning it and getting something that's 2.1 out of the box but more powerful (the sub is 25W, the two front speakers are 7.5W each, the center is 15W).

What's my best course of action for sound.

1.) Keep my current set-up and upgrade to actual audio equipment (i.e. a receiver, sub, speakers) later down the line?
2.) Return the sound system and buy something better?

I'm considering this Klipsch 2.1 system here , since it seems pretty powerful and is under $150.

I thought about a home-theater-in-a-box set, but most of the decent ones seem to run $250 or up; the few that were under $200 seemed to get abysmal reviews and they all look like when one part goes bad, you have to replace the whole set. I'm also very happy with the HD-D3; I know HD-DVD is dead, but it upconverts very nicely.

I'm really new to the whole audio scene, so any help is appreciated. I just want something that sounds clean and is worth the price.Klipsch 2.1 system here
Old 02-08-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Definitely go with the Klipsch! Those are a really good set of speakers in my opinion. Even better if you can find them on sale. I'll probably pick up a pair myself sooner or later.
Old 02-11-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard good things about those Klipsch too.
Old 02-11-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cambridge Soundworks are better than the Klipsch in PC speakers. IMO, as a sometime owner of both brands.