Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

All Blu Ray players full of clitches?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-07-08, 03:13 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done alot of research and I have to say that I cannot find a model of Blu Ray player that is NOT showing glitches. I don't play games but if the Sony PS is the best??? (some people are telling me that it is), anyhow; what do you all say? Oh, and its not a Blu Ray bash..same thing with HD players too.

Last edited by basenjib123; 02-07-08 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Though I don't own one, I've heard nothing but positive things about the PS3.
Old 02-07-08, 03:39 PM

I use the PS3 mainly for a Blu Ray player and I haven't had a problem with it.
One of the only bad things is that their is so many settings for the Blu ray player and the manual doesn't explain which ones you should be using. So there is a little trial and error.

One other minor thing is that their is no resume feature (or counter) so if you stop the movie you have to go into sceen selection to get where you left off.
Old 02-07-08, 03:57 PM

"ALL" Blu-ray players have had several Firmware updates, mostly to fix Java related issues. I have a PS3 and "work" with 7 other Blu-ray players. I would not take any other Blu-ray player over a PS3.
Old 02-07-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the PS3 is an excellent BR player, and upscaling DVD player, with 7.1 audio...
Old 02-07-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I bought my PS3 at launch & still don't own a game for it, and never complained once about buying it. I bought it for a BR player (first) and haven't had one thing to bitch about yet, I love it.
Old 02-07-08, 06:26 PM

I have never had a problem with my ps3. However, it is not a very good regular dvd upscaling player.
Old 02-07-08, 06:28 PM

Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts
No clichés in the Blu Ray players themselves, but if you watch Michael Bay movies you'll see plenty.
Old 02-07-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
The PS3 had it's issues. Plenty. But it is so easy to upgrade to the newest FW, they most all (if not all) have been fixed. I was an early adopter and out of the box he PS3 pretty much sucked to the point I almost returned. After reading I updated FW and most major issue was resolved. And the unit continues to get better and better. Not only correcting things, but adding features such as up conversion.
Old 02-08-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD30K earlier this week and have watched a bunch of stuff on it, from different studios, with no issues so far. The picture is unbelievably good. My only complaint is that Panasonic's owners manual is crap.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 02-08-08 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Typo, studios was misspelled studies.
Old 02-08-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD30K earlier this week and have watched a bunch of stuff on it, from different studies, with no issues so far. The picture is unbelievably good. My only complaint is that Panasonic's owners manual is crap.
I own the same player and love it. Zero issues yet. Only downside for me so far is it does not have a screen saver that works. It gives you the option but all it does is, when watching 4:3 material, give you gray bars instead of black. Ha!
Old 02-09-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD30K earlier this week and have watched a bunch of stuff on it, from different studios, with no issues so far. The picture is unbelievably good. My only complaint is that Panasonic's owners manual is crap.
The only issue I've had was when i put in 3:10 to Yuma. I got some weird copyright violation message. I just turned it off and back on and it worked fine. Seems like it's a random glitch that can occur on the player, but isn't a big issue.
Old 02-11-08, 12:38 PM
DrS

Au contraire, it is a great upscaler.
Old 02-11-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kegman
I use the PS3 mainly for a Blu Ray player and I haven't had a problem with it.
One of the only bad things is that their is so many settings for the Blu ray player and the manual doesn't explain which ones you should be using. So there is a little trial and error.

One other minor thing is that their is no resume feature (or counter) so if you stop the movie you have to go into sceen selection to get where you left off.
Yeah, I've found out the hard way that you can't resume a movie where you left off on the PS3. More than once, I've accidentally hit STOP instead of PAUSE on the remote, and each time I've had to search for where I left off. It's extremely annoying, and one of the reasons I play my SD discs only on my A2.
Old 02-11-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m0vi3fan
I have never had a problem with my ps3. However, it is not a very good regular dvd upscaling player.
Your the first person I have heard say its not a good upscaling player. Maybe you need to update your firmware. I only have had my PS3 for 4 days, only watched a few blu ray movies on it and am impressed. Played Madden 08 for PS2 on it and it looked better, so the upcoverting for PS2 games is fine. Once I finish moving and unpacking I will watch a SD dvd and see how they look.
Old 02-11-08, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
Your the first person I have heard say its not a good upscaling player. Maybe you need to update your firmware. I only have had my PS3 for 4 days, only watched a few blu ray movies on it and am impressed. Played Madden 08 for PS2 on it and it looked better, so the upcoverting for PS2 games is fine. Once I finish moving and unpacking I will watch a SD dvd and see how they look.
It is up to date. I am speaking of standard dvd movies, not blu-ray. I have played a couple standard dvds both in the ps3 and in the toshiba a30. The toshiba's picture was significantly better than the ps3.
Old 02-11-08, 07:14 PM

I also have a Panasonic BD30K and have had no problems whatsoever with it.
Old 02-14-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had zero problems with my PS3 thus far....
Old 02-14-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a Panasonic BD30K and with every blu ray movie, I get this single split-second audio drop out near the beginning of the movie. I dont have lossless audio. I have a Sony 800 watt HT in a box connected with a Monster coaxial cable. Is my player defective?
Old 02-14-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Robert
I have a Panasonic BD30K and with every blu ray movie, I get this single split-second audio drop out near the beginning of the movie. I dont have lossless audio. I have a Sony 800 watt HT in a box connected with a Monster coaxial cable. Is my player defective?
I used to have a Sony receiver that did that. It's your receiver taking a second to lock on the audio stream from the player.
Old 02-14-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to have a Sony receiver that did that. It's your receiver taking a second to lock on the audio stream from the player.

You just made my day. Thanks!