Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with strange surround sound setup.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with strange surround sound setup.

Old 01-25-08, 03:17 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,437
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with strange surround sound setup.

Here is a diagram of the setup I'm trying to achieve. I have six speakers and a sub, and can use the center rear as the second center front. I also have only one AV amp.



I know it's a complex setup, and there's more to it than I've shown, but it's the only way I can get all that into a small amount of space. There is not enough throw distance for the projector in Direction 1, and there is a sliding door to the balcony behind the pulldown projector screen, so I can't put an LCD TV + stand there.

Any suggestions of how to switch the speaker outup from Direction 1 to Direction 2 without using 2 amps or 2 sets of speakers?
Old 01-25-08, 09:41 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
SoSpacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4,238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont think there is a way without purchasing additional equipment.
Old 01-25-08, 01:57 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 125
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you want two theaters in one room? Would it not be easier to have a screen that pulled down in front of your TV and used the same system?
Old 01-25-08, 02:16 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,437
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chicken Warrior
Why do you want two theaters in one room? Would it not be easier to have a screen that pulled down in front of your TV and used the same system?
You didn't read my post did you?
Old 01-25-08, 02:25 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,239
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
You didn't read my post did you?
I read your post and I don't understand what you are trying to do. You aren't explaining it very well.
Old 01-25-08, 04:39 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 16,068
Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts
1. Move.

or

2. Bounce your projector off a mirror and hang the projector screen for direction 1.
Old 01-25-08, 06:38 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,339
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
Here is a diagram of the setup I'm trying to achieve. I have six speakers and a sub, and can use the center rear as the second center front. I also have only one AV amp.



I know it's a complex setup, and there's more to it than I've shown, but it's the only way I can get all that into a small amount of space. There is not enough throw distance for the projector in Direction 1, and there is a sliding door to the balcony behind the pulldown projector screen, so I can't put an LCD TV + stand there.

Any suggestions of how to switch the speaker outup from Direction 1 to Direction 2 without using 2 amps or 2 sets of speakers?
Having multi zone setups usually involves a receiver that can do this with a good amp. Multi zone is usually two channel only.

Having two different multi channel setups will likely require two receivers unless, and this would get complicated, you had a switch box and wired it so that all the speakers could be selected individually and used with either setup.

It is possible but I am not sure I would want to try and tackle all the cable issues, not to mention that is alot of cable.
Old 01-26-08, 03:21 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,437
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Having multi zone setups usually involves a receiver that can do this with a good amp. Multi zone is usually two channel only.

Having two different multi channel setups will likely require two receivers unless, and this would get complicated, you had a switch box and wired it so that all the speakers could be selected individually and used with either setup.

It is possible but I am not sure I would want to try and tackle all the cable issues, not to mention that is alot of cable.
Hmm.. I may just keep the surround setup for the projector, and use the stereo speakers on the LCD TV for everything else.
Thanks for trying to understand and help.
Old 01-26-08, 11:55 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, what Brian said. A speaker switch (probably 2 of them, one out from amp, one into speakers) could work, but it would be tricky.

You didn't mention what equipment you have, or the actual dimensions. That info could help with alternate solutions.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.