Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Oppo DV-981HD DVD player???

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-10-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently bought this DVD player and I am quite happy with it, however I have a question - does anybody have an answer?

Why did they make it so that it can only memorize the position where you stopped the most recent DVD you were watching? I mean, my previous DVD player could remember the place where you stopped for the previous 40 discs you had watched. Would it be a HUGE firmware upgrade to make the Oppo DV-981HD be able to remember the stop position of more than ONE disc?? Can more people please complain about this?!

This is important to me because during the week (when I have to go to bed early because of work the next day) I generally play DVDs of TV series. Then, on Friday night I pop out the disc I have been watching and watch a movie. Then, another movie on Saturday night and on Sunday night - stick the TV series disc back in. Oh dear - what episode did I last watch without having to watch the first few seconds of 3 or 4 episodes?! Irritating!!
Old 01-11-08, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the original firmware, only way you could do it is to press eject while the movie is still playing. Not stop, just eject.

There's a beta firmware that will let you save your spot when you press stop.
Old 01-11-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danwiz
Would it be a HUGE firmware upgrade to make the Oppo DV-981HD be able to remember the stop position of more than ONE disc??
It may depend on whether the player has the memory capacity to store the information. I would think it would, but then I have no idea.

Have you contacted Oppo yourself? They are excellent about getting back to customers with very specific and detailed answers to questions such as yours.
Old 01-11-08, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've found this frustrating as well, especially since they have a bookmark system that can recall a dozen different places on a single disc. I'd rather that went towards remembering a single point on a dozen different discs.
Old 01-11-08, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bookmarking discs is one of my pet peeves.

I returned the 5 disc Sony HDMI changer because it only had 6 disc memory.
Both Blu-Ray and HDDVD are, imo, pretty poor with bookmarks.

I have an Oppo too, but only use it for movie watching. But, I still would love to see it remember more discs.
Old 01-11-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
As suggested I contacted OPPO directly. Please find their answer below.

Daniel,

The hardware EPROM only has enough memory for a single disc break for a single disc. There is not enough physical space in the EPROM for more memorization functionality. This can't be corrected through software.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

So, looks like this is only an improvement we can hope for someday in a future model.

Thanks for your input.

danwiz