Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Optical Sound Help Pioneer Plasma/Denon Receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's my problem and hopefully someone can shed some light for me. I just got the Pioneer 5080 Plasma, love it by the way, but I can't seem to get the optical output to work to hook up to my receiver. I've got a Denon 3802 and when I hook it up I get nothing. This wasn't a big deal before I got the TV because I only had an HD DVD player and that was all I hooked up to the receiver. But now I've got HD cable/PS3 and the HD DVD all running HDMI to the Plasma and I figured the best way to get it to the receiver was to run the output from the TV. But it doesn't work, the manual does nothing to explain how to get it to work either. Now the Denon has 3 optical inputs so I can hook them up that way, but for some reason I can only get it to recognize the optical input 1, ie when I plug something into 2 it does nothing. Of course I can't find the denon manual so I can't change the settings to input 2/3. Any help would be appreciated...
Old 12-30-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR3802_1082_OwnersManual.pdf
Old 12-30-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The optical output on every TV I have seen is for the TV's internal tuner only and does not pass other sources that are connected to the TV.

You are going to have to use those optical connections to your receiver from your cable box, HD DVD player and PS3.
Old 12-30-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My setup is like yours, PS3,HD cable box and HD player and I have the optical going from the set to my receiver and it works great. I just set this up Chirstmas Weekend and everything use to go thru Video 1 now it goes thru Video 2 but it works, make sure to set the PS3 for Optical.
Old 12-30-07, 11:44 PM

Thanks! I knew someone here could help. I got the 3 items hooked up to the receiver for now until I can figure out what the deal is with the TV output - I guess I should check and hook up an antenna see if it outputs that sound. As long as I don't find a 4th item to hook up, I'm good for now. (thanks to those 2 $5 optical cables I got from monoprice a couple weeks back) I need to bookmark that manual in case I can't find my hard copy.
Old 12-31-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The optical output on every TV I have seen is for the TV's internal tuner only and does not pass other sources that are connected to the TV.

You are going to have to use those optical connections to your receiver from your cable box, HD DVD player and PS3.
my panny plasma does, but only passes DD 2.0 not 5.1