Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

In need a review of Sony SS-B1000 and SS-CR3000 set, thanks!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

In need a review of Sony SS-B1000 and SS-CR3000 set, thanks!

Old 12-28-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBL 5" series bookshelf...like the sound, can I change the silver grill?

OK, I just listened to two speaker options...the Sony bookshelf SSB1000's and the JBL's at best buy..either they were hooked up wrong, or the JBL really is that much better than the Sonys...I was going to get the sonys, but not after listening to them side by side.. question..

What if the silver grill bugged me...I dont see how i could just make a black grill..what about brands that would compare to the JBL's?

Thanks

Last edited by DigitalDuck; 12-29-07 at 03:47 PM. Reason: dont want to make another new post just changing topic of thsi one
Old 12-29-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Check this site. It might have what your looking for.

http://www.agoraquest.com/index.php
Old 12-29-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Changed topic.... and initial post..
Old 12-30-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalDuck
OK, I just listened to two speaker options...what about brands that would compare to the JBL's?

Thanks
Good for you. Speaker buying is all about the sound and personal preference.

If you can indicate a budget you might get a better response, there are alot of brands out there.
Old 12-30-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha..you're going to love this..changed my mind from my original Sony/JBL idea.. I just sold my 10yr old KLH floor standing plus rear sats and center. Here I was considering purchasing a sony set then after hearing them in BB I was going to go with JBL...now after doing more research, I am seriously considering this set-up for my apartment:

I am still going to use my current receiver for now since it still sounds good but doesnt have HMDI in/out but I use optical or coax and it still sounds good..I will upgrade later...

Receiver:

Yamaha HTR 5240
L/R Polk R150's
Center.. Im not sure yet..either the Polk RM6752 or Polk CSR (I like a more low profile center since my old KLH was big)
Not sure of sub yet...I will get soon...
Together to my 50" Panny Plasma

Question: should I just get 4 150's or try and find 2 R50's since I cant seem to find them anywhere? It doesnt matter if the R's are the same size as the fronts, although I did like the size of some of the smaller Sonys I saw...oh well... Also, I looked at the Polk RM6750 set, but like the design of the 150's better..but that also means that I couldnt pair the 150's with the 6752 center, since one is rounded and the other is square angels...haha..i might be kidding..not sure

Question.. I seriously haven't heard Polks before..I am going to try and find some place locally that has them...however all Ive had the past 10 years were (was) my KLH system... I really want to not have these Polks be cheaper in sound, but they are smaller, so i know its a possibility, but I also know that my KLH's sucked..

If you can picture this, I am going to have the plasma mounted on the wall and an IKEA Lack tv stand (low profile) below it and the Polks on either side of the stand... that should look good since they're small bookshelves...

Question: After everything I've read and what i assume...with my receiver, is this a beetter route to go then something like the Yamaha YHT-380BL HTIB?

UPDATE: I just measured out the 150's to see how big they are and its a great size for fronts, but not sure if they are perfect for rears...might still work though, just not sure now.. 10 5\8" high..