Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help installing DVD/VCR Recorder to my cable box(DVR)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having trouble figuring out how to hook up my recorder to my cable box(DVR). I've read the instructions for the recorder and the DVR and neither really provided any help. Here's what the back of the recorder looks like

(sorry for the backwardsness in the pictures)

And here's what the back of the DVR looks like

And here's my problem

A VCR I currently have that's hooked up to the back of the TV and the DVR. The black cable screws into the TV and the white one goes into the DVR. There doesn't seem to be a place on the back of the Recorder to screw these into so where do they go when I get rid of the VCR?

Any help would be much appreciated even if it's just a reference to another site.
Thanks.
Old 12-27-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's the composite cord/S-Video input on the recorder currently coming from? Because that's the only input you'll be able to use to hook up the DVR.

Your recorder doesn't look like it has a coax input, so I'm guessing it doesn't have a tuner? You're not going to need that white cord anymore.

Now, you're saying the VCR is hooked up to the TV? Meaning the DVR outputs to the VCR which outputs to the TV? If that's the case, then you won't need that black cord anymore either. You'll have to use composite cables out to the TV as well.
Old 12-27-07, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Where's the composite cord/S-Video input on the recorder currently coming from? Because that's the only input you'll be able to use to hook up the DVR.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm not really that tech savvy. The recorder didn't come with an S-Video cable so I bought one today from Best Buy and there's a place for it on the back of the recorder and on the back of the DVR so that seems to be taken care of.

Your recorder doesn't look like it has a coax input, so I'm guessing it doesn't have a tuner? You're not going to need that white cord anymore.
The recorder doesn't have a tuner since I have the DVR already. It has a coaxial input. Each time I unplug the white cord the TV turns to static, so either it has to go somewhere else or...I don't really know.

Now, you're saying the VCR is hooked up to the TV? Meaning the DVR outputs to the VCR which outputs to the TV? If that's the case, then you won't need that black cord anymore either. You'll have to use composite cables out to the TV as well.
The VCR is hooked up to the TV and the DVR. I'm sure if I took the black cord out I would get the same static I get from taking out the white cord. Composite cables? I was thinking I might need a coaxial cable splitter but what kind of composite cables would I need and where exactly would they hook up to?
Old 12-28-07, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Para Para
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm not really that tech savvy. The recorder didn't come with an S-Video cable so I bought one today from Best Buy and there's a place for it on the back of the recorder and on the back of the DVR so that seems to be taken care of.
In the first picture, you have composite (red, yellow, white) cables plugged into the recorder Input. You also have S-Video plugged into the recorder Input. (By the way, that's makes 2 video inputs and 1 (2 channel) audio input--you shouldn't need the yellow (video) one plugged in too). Where do these inputs output to? I don't see the composite cords going anywhere?

Also, you say the S-Video is plugged into the DVR? Is that output or input? Because it should be attached to output on the DVR. I can see an empty S-Video and empty composite on the DVR, but I can't read whether it's input or output. Can we get a closer picture?

Originally Posted by Para Para
The recorder doesn't have a tuner since I have the DVR already. It has a coaxial input. Each time I unplug the white cord the TV turns to static, so either it has to go somewhere else or...I don't really know.
The coaxial input on the recorder is for digital audio (which it shows on the label). There's two kinds of coaxial and the one I'm talking about is your black and white cables being used on the VCR. The recorder, at least in the picture, does not have this kind of coaxial input.
Old 12-28-07, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
In the first picture, you have composite (red, yellow, white) cables plugged into the recorder Input. You also have S-Video plugged into the recorder Input. (By the way, that's makes 2 video inputs and 1 (2 channel) audio input--you shouldn't need the yellow (video) one plugged in too). Where do these inputs output to? I don't see the composite cords going anywhere?
I don't have them plugged in but they are supposed to go into the back of the DVR. At least that is what I'm trying to do so that I can use my DVR with the recorder.

Also, you say the S-Video is plugged into the DVR? Is that output or input? Because it should be attached to output on the DVR. I can see an empty S-Video and empty composite on the DVR, but I can't read whether it's input or output. Can we get a closer picture?
At the moment I can't take picture of it but I can describe it. The empty S-Video doesn't say anything around it other than S-video. I have two empty composites on the DVR, one being in a shaded area with a TV 2 symbol and the other in an area with the TV 1 symbol. Since my TV is TV 1 I'm sure those are the composites I'm supposed to use.

The coaxial input on the recorder is for digital audio (which it shows on the label). There's two kinds of coaxial and the one I'm talking about is your black and white cables being used on the VCR. The recorder, at least in the picture, does not have this kind of coaxial input.
Right, so do I need something for the black and white cables to screw into that has another cable on it that in turn plugs into the recorder?