Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

So im (oficially) building this stand...but

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-22-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O finally a culmination of my previous threads has produced this product..its a stand from Ikea that I have decided to building myself since shipping from Ikea is $300 and having it built would cost me $600.

I took a look at the sheets of wood at Lowes and I might be able to get this all out of a single sheet for only $50 (for the sheet)

here is the stand at Ikea Here

Here is an example of what someone did Here

Q: First of all what would you think about which type of wood? I looked at Oak and Birch...the Oak has a natural grain to it and doesn't do a bad job soaking in stain... not sure about the birch.

Q: Stain or laminates? I'm thinking Stain since it seems easy, but im not a stain expert..

Q: All of the wood sheets I have been seeing are 4x8 or so, but are like 1/2 or 3/4 inch think...that stand in the pic looks like 1.5 to 1.75 inch think...what do you think they did to achieve that...was the wood actually cut to that size?

Q: Geometric angles like in the pic? Or put some molding on it?

It should turn out well, so we'll see...I'm hanging the tv Tues and then ill have my measurements once I can see it hanging...

Last edited by DigitalDuck; 12-22-07 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-22-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say stain over laminate, looks much cleaner in my opinion. I also like molding it is simple and not really fancy and over the top.
Old 12-22-07, 10:22 PM

Q: Stain or laminates? I'm thinking Stain since it seems easy, but im not a stain expert..
Laminate is to upgrade the appearance of an otherwise unattractive material. If you go with laminate, then oak/birch underneath is wasted money.
Q: First of all what would you think about which type of wood? I looked at Oak and Birch...the Oak has a natural grain to it and doesn't do a bad job soaking in stain... not sure about the birch.
I have a book which sez of birch: "Heavy, stiff, strong; good shock resistance, uniform texture; takes natural finish well; satiny in appearance." Sez of oak: "Moderately heavy, stiff, strong, resilient, tough; comparatively easy to work with tools; takes many finishes."

Q: All of the wood sheets I have been seeing are 4x8 or so, but are like 1/2 or 3/4 inch think...that stand in the pic looks like 1.5 to 1.75 inch think...what do you think they did to achieve that...was the wood actually cut to that size?
Most RTA(ready to assemble) furniture is made of particle board with laminate covering. Particle board is a factory manufactured product and can be made in extra-thick dimensions. Even gluing together two normal thicknesses is possible, since the laminate will cover up seams, etc.

Q: Geometric angles like in the pic? Or put some molding on it?
I like the clean right angles of the pic, but you need to consider how it mixes with your your other furniture.
Old 12-22-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
I like the clean right angles of the pic, but you need to consider how it mixes with your your other furniture.
Jonny.. here is the layout of my other furniture

tv/stand
couch/tables
Old 12-22-07, 11:05 PM

Your existing furniture does have a somewhat softer look, with the slight curves and rounded edges. Then again your front speakers and TV have the sharp crisp look. I think either style (of the new piece) would blend in OK. Where will the moldings go, how to handle molding intersections, how much work/precision is required, main material vs. molding material (possible difference in stainability)...be to consider these.
Old 12-22-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jonny, all relevant points thanks. Yeah I'm not sure what material the molding was that he showed me... I will have the tv hung xmas then I can remove that black stand and decide exactly what length i want it to be..thats really the only thing in my way... in addition to the obvious q's. Yeah, I think a nice dark cherry wood/espresso stain to match my existing wood would be nice on a say/oak. IT just looekd cleaner than then birch..I like the subtle wood grain. It makes it look less like a piece of "sauder" brand furniture, know what i mean?