Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about this piece from Ikea...does anyone have it?..measurements needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I have another post similar to this, but wanted to make sure everyone would have a chance to look at it in case they have this piece.

Its from Ikea and is technically a bookcase, but would serve as a stand if turned horizontally.

here is the "bookshelf"

Ikea shelf

here is a pic of someone who did what im referring to, plus glass doors..

tv stand

ALso here is the same brand in their version of a stand..

Ikea Stand

Does anyone have this stand or bookcase? If so what would be the shelf room? Thats the biggest concern, if it will hold my receiver and center..

Thansk

Last edited by DigitalDuck; 12-18-07 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-18-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never mind.... I just found out it is going to cost $275 to ship it... oh well you can delete this thread...
Old 12-19-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
$275? SERIOUSLY? For a $80 piece of furniture?

And the stand is $10 cheaper than the bookcase and already has legs... wouldn't that make more sense??
Old 12-19-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure, but it it wider, (taller now, but on its side, wider) and I like the separate compartments... Man, I like that idea, and now i am really having a hard time finding any "bookshelf" like that... everything else is a "bookcase" with flared out edges etc... shoot..and yeah, Im serious with the shipping.. two big for UPS so they have to use a third party currier service from PA...ridiculous
Old 12-19-07, 09:13 AM

You can drive to Minneapolis and pick it up at Ikea for cheaper a lot cheaper than $275, can't you?!

I've seen this in the store, but don't have one myself. According to the Ikea dimensions, it would be just under 75" wide if laid down. Using a width of 2" per for the shelfving (that's a guess), that brings it down to 65" of usable space, which would equate to 16.25" per compartment. However, I'm guessing you could leave out one or two of the shelves to get a wider compartment. But if you were going to put a TV on top of it, you'd lose some of the stability by removing any of the shelves.

Unfortunately, my work firewall blocks the sample pic, so I can't see it right now. It actually sounds like a neat idea.
Old 12-19-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope...tv is mounted on wall so I think this would be great....yeah but I have a grand prix...dont think it will fit in there...wel maybe
Old 12-19-07, 04:03 PM

I took some measurements of the bookcase image and did the conversions. I come up with 6cm as the thickness, which is rounded up. The openings would be 40cm x 23cm. Like shelland said, maybe two of the shelves are moveable or removable. The image shows the screwheads at the end pieces and center shelf, but no screwheads are visible at the in-between shelves; might indicate some less permanent attachment method.
Old 12-19-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DigitalDuck
Nope...tv is mounted on wall so I think this would be great....yeah but I have a grand prix...dont think it will fit in there...wel maybe
Everything they sell comes flatpack in boxes. It should fit somehow. Maybe if you had it hanging out the back of the trunk...
Old 12-19-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jonny...thanks for the effort...I went to Lowe's today and they can cut it for me and get me everything I need... thinking of going stained oak...or birch..but probably oak.. I just need to get the right measurements for myself...really I can make it any size so Ill do some more measuring and report back
Old 12-19-07, 05:49 PM

Woodworking is not complicated, but having the right tools and experience can make a BIG difference in how the finished product looks. You might want to at least consult a local cabinetmaker or carpenter and get a quote before you go the DIY avenue
Old 12-19-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jonny... in terms of having him make it from scratch, or buying parts and having him do labor? I guess I didnt get a price from Lowes for the cutting labor also...
Old 12-19-07, 09:25 PM

My local Lowe's charges per cut; I think it was $1 per cut last time I used their service. Very straight and accurate results. Regarding getting a professional, I was thinking having him do the whole thing from scratch. He should be able to itemize costs for parts, materials, and labor. If you know the parts cost beforehand, at least you'll be an informed customer.
Old 12-19-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True...the sheet of oak was $50 and I "might" be able to get it out of one sheet..plus legs and maybe trim. They said they charge .25 per cut. However, yeah, I tried to call some cabinet places in town, but they were closed...will try tomorow
Old 12-21-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha... one quote so far or assembled and delivered but no stain is $600. Guess ill be doing it myself..geez, I can probably get it out of one sheet...
Old 12-21-07, 07:49 PM

Wow...$600 is more than I thought. Good luck on the project. Be patient and be careful; it'll turn out well.