Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New TV and Receiver purchase...help needed

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New TV and Receiver purchase...help needed

Old 01-30-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
No, stop spreading bullshit.
Dude take your bullshit and get out of here. This is where adults have discussions.
Old 01-30-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
Dude take your bullshit and get out of here. This is where adults have discussions.

that was classic Arpeggi. He loves his tough guy internet persona but more and more people know his rep of just acting like a jerk hiding behind an ip address.
Old 02-03-08, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
50PX75U - Own and love it, never heard anything negative about it either. I paid about $1300 for it but would of spent $2000 if i needed too.
Old 02-05-08, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quick question while this thread is still active, so I don't have to start another one myself.
On some reviews of the Pioneer 1080p plasmas it is mentioned that there are problems with displaying a computer through it. Are LCD's better suited to computers or is there no difference as far as resolutions go?
I was tossing up between the Panasonic 1080p 50" and the Sony X Series 46".
I'll mostly be using the TV with a media center computer.
A couple years ago I was setting up a media center via DVI to a HD plasma and could not get the image right. It would always be slightly sqashed. I read somewhere that plasmas had rectangular pixels while LCD's had sqaure pixels, and always put it down to this. And I'm also concerned about screen burn. How long must an image stay on screen to cause screen burn on the more recent plasmas?
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, just thought I'd ask since all the brains are at this thread right now.
Old 02-05-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plasmas with the wrong resolution have rectangular pixels, the proper HD models have normal shape. 1280x720 and 1920x1080 are proper res, the others you might find are improper.

Burn-in is always an issue to consider, but variety is the way to protect against it. If you are planning to mainly use it for a PC, I'd say go LCD. But if it is just one of many sources, I wouldn't sweat it. Follow the normal rules for plasma and you'll be fine.
Old 02-06-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just another quick question. In this review of a Panasonic 1080p Plasma they say the TV has an upconverter from SD to FHD which works well, but when you try to use a DVD player that has it's own upconverter the TV doesn't know what to and everything looks like rubbish.
If I am plugging a computer into the plasma at it's native resolution and then play a DVD through the computer, will the TV treat this as a SD signal and try to upconvert and cause a mess (since the computer will be upconverting as well) or will it treat it as a FHD source and only display the signal?
I'm guessing the second event will occurr but I have minimal experience with upconverters.
Thanks.