Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

OK, my turn...help with TV purchase

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-16-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 136 Likes on 118 Posts

OK, I usually post recommends/suggestions for those looking for TV advise. Now I'm asking. Well not so much asking for help as a discussion on things maybe I have not thought about yet, experiences, etc. Wife has decided it is time for new TV for the living room (it is past time).

This is a TV for the living room. LOTS of windows, with decent light control. This will be for SD and HD TV viewing, SD and HD DVD and Wii play. This is a "living room" set up meaning I want it to fit in with the rest of the furniture, as nice clean look (you walk into this room from the front door). Most here know that I have a dedicated theater room, so this set up will not be the "ultimate" HT experience. Yes, I will have a full surround system and quality is important, but my theater room will still be our main watching area. Cost is a consideration. Wife gave a budget of $2000 OTD. But personally, I don't want to spend that much. For $2,000 I'd like to get the TV, a HD player, maybe 2-3 year extended warranty and new bulb for my projector. So Looking at about $1,500...but obviously would love less.

So, I have it narrowed down as follows;

Panasonic TH-50PX75u (plasma) (aprox $1,500)
Samsung HP-T5064 (plasma) (aprox $1,400)
Samsung LNT4661 (LCD) (aprox $1,350 - current sale)
Sony KDL-46S300 (LCD) (aprox $1,700)

Yes, the Panny is my standard recommendation to others, and properly set up about the best picture I have seen. Plus there is so much info available to get the best picture and set up. However, physically it is a big set. Almost to big (not picture wise, set wise). Which led me to the 46" LCD's. The 1080p is not an issue for me as I don't plan on hooking up a computer to it. The Samsung is a great price (when on sale) and gets good reviews. Many feel it offers better performance in brighter situations then the plasma. I have looked at the Samsung many a times and while I think it is a great pic, still think the Panny is a touch better. But would it be in brighter room?

I'm considering the Samsung plasma because it is getting great reviews, many like it as well as the Panny, generally can find cheaper then the Panny as it is not as popular as the Panny, but I have yet to see it. I'm about to drop the Sony from consideration. Not because it is bad, but I don't think it is worth the added cost as it is harder to find a deal on.

So...thoughts? Other things I should consider? Oh, and open to suggestions, recommendations.
Old 12-16-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You basically have two options:
- Plasma from Panasonic
- LCD from Samsung

I'd make some tests, but in general LCDs work better when there is a lot of light in the room. I'd guess that's a 1080p LCD, and although you said that's not important, it may be in the long time. You'll also save a couple hundred bucks that you can use into something else.
Old 12-16-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't see how 1080p would depend on whether you hook up a computer to it. I mean, I understand the thing about visual acuity and how 1080p doesn't matter if you sit a certain distance back, but the same principle would apply with a computer. If you sit close enough to resolve the detail on a computer desktop, why wouldn't you also resolve the detail in video?
Old 12-16-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I have no problem with 1080p, I'm just not willing to pay MORE for it. The Samsung is 1080p and is actually less right this minute. But overall I still think the Panny plasma is the better pic even tho it is "only" 720p.
Old 12-16-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did some checking,

The Panny is 48" X 31" X 3.8"
The Samsung is 43.5" X 28" X 4.1"

The height is not an issue really....but the width. But only saving 4.5" by going to the Samsung, but going from 50" screen to a 46" so that is what about 9.5% less screen area???
Old 12-16-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't feel like doing "math", but I'm guessing you're losing about 15%-20% screen area dropping down from the 50" set to the 46" set. Usually, no one complains about buying a set that's "too large", but will grumble about a set that is "too small" (unless it must fit in an entertainment center, or some other contraption that integrates with the decor of the room constrained by WAF).

Last edited by Patman; 12-16-07 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-16-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't see how 1080p would depend on whether you hook up a computer to it. I mean, I understand the thing about visual acuity and how 1080p doesn't matter if you sit a certain distance back, but the same principle would apply with a computer. If you sit close enough to resolve the detail on a computer desktop, why wouldn't you also resolve the detail in video?
The point about computers is how much you can fit on screen. 720 is an awfully short screen for modern applications, or surfing the web. Too much scrolling. I'm staring at 1280x1024 on a boring, cheap 17" display at the moment. Dropping 30% of my screen is annoying when switching to my TV.
Old 12-17-07, 10:25 AM

My father in law just got the PannyTH-50PX77u. I just got the samsung HP-t5064 due to size restrictions. My cabinet is 52 inched wide. the panny is 52.1 and the Samsung is 48 due to the speaker being along the bottom. Both TVs look great. I cannot see any real difference in pic quality between the two sets (for both SD and HD). note the Samsung has the anti-glare coating which the 75U does not if that's important. Also, the Samsung stand swivels if you are into that feature. The Panasonic stand does not.

A consumer reports ranking put these as the #2 (Panny) and 3 (Samsung) plasmas.
For the price difference, the Samsung seems the better deal.

Cnet has also reviewed these two sets. The reviews are pretty equal and I think they both got an 8.0/10

They are both great looking sets. I would only recommend the Samsung over the Panasonic for price reasons (all other things being fairly equal). I have no experience with the other sets you are looking at. Good luck.

Last edited by lysander; 12-17-07 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-17-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stand by my suggestion.

If there'll be a lot of light in the room, it doesn't matter that the panny has better picture, the Sammy LCD will look better, because LCD looks better when there is a lot of light. If it's a dark room, then yeah, the plasma should look better. A lot better in this case.
Old 12-17-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

why not the PX77U that has the anti glare screen?

and if you go LCD, you need to go back to ALL THOSE THREADS and delete all of your Panny Plasma recommendations.
Old 12-17-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing I find troubling about the Panasonic plasma models with the anti-glare coating on the screens is that it does introduce "sparklies" that detracts from the viewing quality of a plasma screen. It's almost like the SSE (silk screen effect) found on DLP and LCOS/SXRD lamp-based sets, but not quite as bad.

I am liking what I see with the Samsung 52" 5271 HD sets, very nice black levels, but I still find the inherest brightness (due to the backlighting in LCD technology implementation) to be more fatigueing than plasma displays.
Old 12-17-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
I stand by my suggestion.

If there'll be a lot of light in the room, it doesn't matter that the panny has better picture, the Sammy LCD will look better, because LCD looks better when there is a lot of light. If it's a dark room, then yeah, the plasma should look better. A lot better in this case.
Agreed.

I'm no fan of LCDs (you're talking to a guy with a 24" CRT monitor on his PC), but if you're gonna watch in a bright room all the time, or have windows that might shine right on it, go with the LCD.

Otherwise, in more reasonable lighting, the plasma should destroy it.
Old 12-17-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Hasn't someone invented blinders to put on plasmas yet. Like those things you see on high-end PC monitor displays for calibration.
Old 12-17-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
why not the PX77U that has the anti glare screen?

and if you go LCD, you need to go back to ALL THOSE THREADS and delete all of your Panny Plasma recommendations.
LOL...your probably right....!!!

Well the 77U has the speakers on the side which make is wider and I'd rather not have that big.
Old 12-17-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, as SoSpacey says, I'm a Panny Plasma fan boy. And it is without a doubt one of the best pictures I have ever seen.

But as we all know, we have to make compromises.

The light issue is what is holding me back. In the living room about 2 feet from the TV there are two floor to ceiling window AND a sliding glass door all 90 degrees to the TV. Then behind the seating area but about 20 to 25 feet are 3 more window. Now the windows by the TV face EAST and have fairly heavy drapes. So the direct sun is only an issue in the morning when we rarely watch tv (except in the summer). And we have the drapes. They are dark drapes, somewhat heavy, but by no means "blackout". The window behind the seating area I believe to be to far away to have a huge impact. At least they don't with the CRT we currently are using.

Having said all that, I'd like as big of a TV as I can handle, so the extra yardage on the Panny would be nice. And I believe it will at the end of the day have the better picture.

What I might do is regardless of what TV I get, I might get the black out liners from a frabric store and add them to the drapes...that should help with either set.
Old 12-17-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Personally I liked the Samsung Samsung LNT4661 that I saw at the store. At first I wanted to get the 42' or 50' Panny Plasma but I thought they would be too small/too big so I think the 46' Samsung LCD will be good enough.
Old 12-18-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Clearly you need some power. And we know you aren't afraid of projectors. Therefore, I must recommend one of these:
http://www.christiedigital.com/AMEN/...stieCP2000.htm
Old 12-18-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Got to tell you....I gave it a thought or two (putting in a projector). Thought about putting my HD70 in the living room and getting a 1080p for the media room.

But I just don't think I could swing it to pass the WAF...lol

Plus it would be a bitch for me to do. 10' ceilings with no attic space.

No this is a "simple" set up...I'll be home on Friday and wife says she still needs to do a little shopping. I'll take her to my favorite HT store and see what she thinks.
Old 12-19-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I might throw a wrench into my choices:

What are the thoughts on the Sony SDS-50A3000, SXRD set????

I'm thinking if I get a flat panel to mount on the wall, I will have to mount to hight due to the spot. We already have a piece of furniture that my wife will not give up. The TV either has set on this or mount on the wall above it. It I mount it I would likely need to get a tilting mount. Which would not be a huge deal. But might actually work better just on the furniture. So if I don't mount it, why get flat panel??

But even if I don't mount it, flat panel sort of future proofs things in case I want to mount it in the furture in put in another room.

Hummmmm
Old 12-19-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 547 Likes on 395 Posts
I just got the 60" A3000, but yet to have hooked it up. If you look at the reviews on the 60", it is probably the highest rated DLP out there right now. I can't imagine the 50" is much different.
Old 12-20-07, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think the Sony was a DLP? I thought the SXRD was Sony's version of LCoS?
Old 12-20-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony's are SXRD/LCOS, not DLP.
Old 12-20-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Where is the Samsung on sale for under $1350?
Old 12-20-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 547 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I didn't think the Sony was a DLP? I thought the SXRD was Sony's version of LCoS?
My mistake. You are right. However, they still require a "bulb", so in my mind I don't make a distinction.
Old 12-20-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, I'm dropping the A3000 from consideration. Again a sort of compromise. I know the A3000 would likely offer of the best picture's, but it would really lock me into that TV for a very long time. There is probably no where else I could put it if in a year or two I wanted something else.

I went and looked more at BB and Frys. I know not the best places, but working out of town, the best I can do.

I now have the Samsung LNT4661F as my top choice. Just barely, but think it is my top choice. A very close second it the Panny TH-50PX75U. Why?

A. Even tho the Panny plasma is a better picture, this set will be viewed often with a considerable amount of light. Even tho I can add blackout drapes to our drapes, I think there will be a lot of viewing with brightness in the room. And the LCD seems to do better with that.

B. Right now it seems to be $200 or so cheaper then the Panny plasma (which is not a made or break deal, but that is just enough to pick up a HD player for it).

C. I want to stick to flat panel (thus no A3000). At less then $1,400 if I end up wanting something different in a year or two, it is no big deal. I can mount this in the bedroom or heck even my bar. But I got no place to go with a RP set if for whatever reason wanted to change.

D. The Sammy physically take up less space. Yea, I know it is a smaller picture, but physical size is a consideration in the this room.

So those are my thoughts for today. Heck, might change tomorrow....lol

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-20-07 at 04:43 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.