Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Plasma TV question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 12:56 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Plasma TV question

So I've been looking at a couple of tv's and I've got my eyes set on the Panasonic 42' plasma. The only thing I'm worried about is burn in/image retention. I do watch a lot of SD content during the day and I'm wondering if the tv will be able to handle the black/grey bars on the sides or would I have to use the zoom feature (which I usually hate)? The same question goes for black bars during DVD/Blu-ray movies?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Burn in is not the issue it use to be. I'm not going to say 100% that you will not get burn in with a modern plasma, but it is a lot harder to get it then in the past.

Typically the recommendation is to be careful for the first 100 hours or so. During this time you should turn the brightness and contrast way down. And try not to watch anything for very long with a static image. Some don't play games on it during this time. But others just say "don't pause for hours and you will be ok".

There are also DVD that help with this break in period and can help if you get an image. But after this initial break in period, many say it is no more susceptible to burn in then a CRT.

By the way there is even some debate if this break in period is needed or real. But others say the first 100 hours is when a set is most susceptible to burn in. Seems like a reasonable precaution to me.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-16-07 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-16-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Read the following:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...0-%20FINAL.pdf
Old 12-16-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While the burn-in is much less of an issue, as that report shows, it should be noted that treating the TV properly is still warranted. The tests showed temporary image retention that went away after a 24 hour fix-up viewing. A user would have to know to do this or they may assume the retention is permanent and flip out.

However, as some of us already know, the report shows that plasma beats the other digital technologies on most picture quality issues. It really is a nice tech, esp now that they have developed the burn-in protection and the smaller pixel size to get actual HD resolution in the 42" size.
Old 12-16-07, 07:13 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks. So after 100 hours of running the special dvd from the AVS forum, I shouldn't worry about watching SD content with bars on the sides? (in moderation, a few hours in a row at most).

Also, is 1080p worth a 200-300$ premium? It's for my bedroom and I would be sitting about 6 feet from the screen. I keep thinking the premium isn't worth it but I can't make up my mind.
Old 12-17-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I burned the dvd from AVS forum but never even used it. I just watched a variety of sources from day one with the stttings turned down and have never had an image retention isue.
Old 12-17-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Thanks. So after 100 hours of running the special dvd from the AVS forum, I shouldn't worry about watching SD content with bars on the sides? (in moderation, a few hours in a row at most).

Also, is 1080p worth a 200-300$ premium? It's for my bedroom and I would be sitting about 6 feet from the screen. I keep thinking the premium isn't worth it but I can't make up my mind.

1080p is not worth it for a 42" TV. Not even for a 50" YOu can only take advantage of 1080P if you are going to use bluray or HDDVD. Standar HD TV does not do 1080P

Watching the stretched image from SD TV is not that bad. you get used to it...
Old 12-17-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
1080p is not worth it for a 42" TV. Not even for a 50".
I agree with this, as do most sources. Save your money if you are only going 42''. The actual upgrade in display for 1080p won't be perceptible even at an atypically close viewing range.

50'' displays are more debatable, but unless you have great vision or sit very close to your set, you probably won't get value at that size display to merit the extra cost either.

Watching the stretched image from SD TV is not that bad. you get used to it...
Don't agree with this, though. A stretched image is terribly distracting to me.
Old 12-17-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

YOu can only take advantage of 1080P if you are going to use bluray or HDDVD. Standar HD TV does not do 1080P
That is at best poor reasoning and at worst a complete falsehood. HDTV is either 720 lines or 1080. Most channels are 1080. They would certainly take more advantage of a 1080 resolution TV, assuming your viewing distance ratio makes it worthwhile.
Old 12-18-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I agree with others. In a 42" or 50" set I would not pay extra for 1080p. Even "only" $200 to $300 more (tho I like to know where you are finding a 1080p plasma for only $200 to $300 more. A typical Panny 50" plasma 720p is $1,500 while I have not seen the 1080p version for less then about $2,100 or more).

I don't believe the sourse is the issue. Even with HD DVD, Blu-ray, or HD TV, I don't think you are going to see all "that" resolution unless you sit way to close.
Old 12-18-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
That is at best poor reasoning and at worst a complete falsehood. HDTV is either 720 lines or 1080. Most channels are 1080. They would certainly take more advantage of a 1080 resolution TV, assuming your viewing distance ratio makes it worthwhile.

They are not 1080p... SOmeone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-18-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Progressive doesn't matter, we are discussing resolution. All these TVs are progressive, that is really no longer an issue. Most HDTV from TV sources is 1080 resolution.
Old 12-18-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I burned the dvd from AVS forum but never even used it. I just watched a variety of sources from day one with the stttings turned down and have never had an image retention isue.
This is exactly what I did... I really think Plasmas are pretty damn resilient now a days.