Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PS3 as a BD player

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 as a BD player

I'm thinking of getting a PS3 because I enjoy video games every once in a while but will use it mainly for playing movies. Those of you who have one how has it worked for you as a BD player? Should I just get a dedicated BD player instead?
Old 12-11-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I don't have one, but arguably it's the best value for the dollar. I think the only major issue is the proprietary (holy shit, Sony uses proprietary tech!!!) bluetooth remote. I guess there are a few workarounds, but it is still a PITA.
Old 12-11-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
It's an amazing player. Not to mention it will be the best supported BD player of them all.
Old 12-11-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have it as a BD player, and no games yet. (Hoping for Uncharted for christmas) But it has been an amazing player so far. I got my 80 gb for $300 so I couldn't pass up the price. Sony also updates it all of the time, and is the only player (correct me if I am wrong) that can currently get firmware upgrades. My opinion is if you are gonna get a BD player get this one.
Old 12-11-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
We have had a couple of threads on this topic.

I have had a PS3 since about this time last year.

Pros: Good value, easy FW updates via wireless net connection, very good (now) upconverting player for SD DVD, media center gives other uses for machine, good games, with FW upgrade very reliable machine.

Cons: No universal remote (even the work around will not power the unit on and off), unconventional design of case can be problematic for some (but option of standing on end can be a plus), some have reported heat issues.

I could see using it as my main player EXCEPT for the universal remote issue. It is simply inexcusable to not have included IR. We bought it mainly for gaming and BR as a bonus. Otherwise I would have probably returned. I recently bought a Toshiba HD-A3 to use as my main DVD player. In fact I've been composing an e-mail to Sony explaining why, in my situation, I felt they pushed me into pick up this HD player. All because they couldn't include an IR on their unit. The Toshiba upconverts every bit as good as the PS3 for SD DVD's, works seamless with my Harmony 880 and of course is a solid HD player as well. I really did not want to buy another DVD player, but wife and kids did not like using the PS3 as their every DVD player. And when my upconverting DVD player started getting flaky....I picked up the A3.

Yes, some will think I'm silly. If you a "techy, nerd, geek" or don't mind messing around with your system (like me) the issue is probably not that big of a deal. But my system has to work for my wife and two kids while I'm traveling (which I do a lot). They "just want it to work", and don't want to figure out what remote does what.

So while in a year we have bought maybe 10 BR movies, I have already bought 10 HD movies, plus the 7 free ones you get in the 2 weeks I've had the Toshiba.

If you want a gaming, media center then I highly recommend the PS3. But if your not interested in games or media center, I think the Toshiba HD is a better value. I think you can still get a A3 for $200 with 10 free movies.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-11-07 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
We have had a couple of threads on this topic.

I have had a PS3 since about this time last year.

Pros: Good value, easy FW updates via wireless net connection, very good (now) upconverting player for SD DVD, media center gives other uses for machine, good games, with FW upgrade very reliable machine.

Cons: No universal remote (even the work around will not power the unit on and off), unconventional design of case can be problematic for some (but option of standing on end can be a plus), some have reported heat issues.

I could see using it as my main player EXCEPT for the universal remote issue. It is simply inexcusable to not have included IR. We bought it mainly for gaming and BR as a bonus. Otherwise I would have probably returned. I recently bought a Toshiba HD-A3 to use as my main DVD player. In fact I've been composing an e-mail to Sony explaining why, in my situation, I felt they pushed me into pick up this HD player. All because they couldn't include an IR on their unit. The Toshiba upconverts every bit as good as the PS3 for SD DVD's, works seamless with my Harmony 880 and of course is a solid HD player as well. I really did not want to buy another DVD player, but wife and kids did not like using the PS3 as their every DVD player. And when my upconverting DVD player started getting flaky....I picked up the A3.

Yes, some will think I'm silly. If you a "techy, nerd, geek" or don't mind messing around with your system (like me) the issue is probably not that big of a deal. But my system has to work for my wife and two kids while I'm traveling (which I do a lot). They "just want it to work", and don't want to figure out what remote does what.

So while in a year we have bought maybe 10 BR movies, I have already bought 10 HD movies, plus the 7 free ones you get in the 2 weeks I've had the Toshiba.

If you want a gaming, media center then I highly recommend the PS3. But if your not interested in games or media center, I think the Toshiba HD is a better value. I think you can still get a A3 for $200 with 10 free movies.
Personally I love the case design. So much sleeker than the Xbox 360, looks like a childs toy next to me PS3.
Old 12-11-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea...that is probably a personal thing. But because of the design you cannot put something on top of it. And you probably don't want to put anything under it that generates any heat.

It worked best for me standing on end which is not an option on most stand alone players.
Old 12-11-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea...that is probably a personal thing. But because of the design you cannot put something on top of it. And you probably don't want to put anything under it that generates any heat.

It worked best for me standing on end which is not an option on most stand alone players.
Yea I have both my Xbox 360, HD-DVD add-on and PS3, laying flat and away from other things so they have plenty of breathing room.
Old 12-11-07, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the advice

I've looked through the forums and found little bit here and there. This was helpful. I won't use it for sd dvds since my collection fits into my dvd changer and it upconverts nicely. There are a few things that I would want to view in HD (ie Planet Earth).

Personally I love the case design. So much sleeker than the Xbox 360, looks like a childs toy next to me PS3
I agree I love the design and it will match my other components...OOOHHH SHINY
Old 12-11-07, 06:19 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PS3 is an excellent BD player.
Old 12-11-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A real geek wants one remote, not two. Sure, maybe an uber-programmable remote that nobody else can understand or necessarily even use. But ONLY ONE!
Old 12-11-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Your probably right....

But remember I have a Harmony...so all the wife has to do is press "Play DVD" and everything come on and to the right setting and the volume, etc all works the pieces it should work...
Old 12-12-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know. Harmony is like the anti-geek remote. Cool, but sad. Makes you want to get some Crestron stuff just to be on the undecipherable end.
Old 12-13-07, 05:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
PS3 named DVD Player of the Year by UltimateAV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disc Player of the Year
Sony PlayStation3 (starting at $399, 40GB)

No, you didn't accidentally warp into a gaming site. As Blu-ray continues to evolve, the standalone players become less and less attractive, lacking hardware support for upcoming features, and getting slower and clunkier with each new BD-J release. Sony's PlayStation3, on the other hand keeps getting better and better. It's still the fastest and most reliable BD player we've tested for either format and our appreciation for it just continues to grow and grow. Products that actually get better with time are a rarity these days, and the PS3, more than a year after its introduction is the Blu-ray Disc player to beat. That adds a whole new dimension to the term product of the year, for no product we've reviewed has stood the tests of the last year and change as well as Sony's mighty PS3.
Old 12-13-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a super geek, but I am also lazy and still have 3 remotes. I know it is bad, I just haven't found the remote I am in love with yet.