Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any reason why I couldn't lay bookshelf speakers on their side?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-09-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts

Since I will be getting new entertainment center, my floorstanding speakers won't fit any longer. I'm looking at a few different brands of bookshelves to replace them. The way my new entertainment center is set up, it has a light bridge on top, that leaves about a 12" gap on each of the left and right tier on top. I was thinking of just putting some bookshelves up there, but turned on the side. Any reason why I couldn't do that?
Old 12-09-07, 01:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HY-03vYYAjA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HY-03vYYAjA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-09-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Ok, after reading some other forums, looks like this isn't a good idea unless the speakers are specifically designed to be placed that way. Now, to find some of them.
Old 12-09-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not? Worried about scratching the side?
Old 12-09-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's more about dispersion and lobe patterns when the speaker was designed with a vertical array of drivers (usually tweeter and midrange, and sometimes woofer). By turning a speaker on its side, it won't sound as good as it did standing up with the drivers in a vertical orientation. Good center channel speakers are designed so that the drivers are in a horizontal alignment, and their crossover network has been tweaked to deal with the lobing issues.
Old 12-09-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Spiky
Why not? Worried about scratching the side?
Yeah, basically what Patman said.
Old 12-09-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Yes...but it is not like the speaker police are going to kick down your door. You are not going to hurt the speaker. True it was designed to be stood up, but I would give it a try. It won't hurt. If you don't like the sound, there is your answer. If you can't tell the difference, then that is your answer. If you can tell the difference, but can live with as it works in your setup...then there you go.

Technically I hung my speakers upside down. In their present location, I tried both ways and could not hear the difference. So I left them upside down. There is no one who has ever even noticed or can tell. And if you like at the link in my sig, I bet wouldn't have noticed either. Unless you are familar with those speakers.
Old 12-09-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Obviously, I'm not going to hurt the speaker. That's not my concern. But, from reading on several threads about this topic, it seems like I may run into issues with sound. I may try to do it, just to check it out, but I wonder if I'll have preconceived notions that will make me perceive a difference.
Old 12-10-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty much, bookshelf speakers have the drivers so close together that none of that matters. The smallest bookshelf models have the tweeter inset an inch or two back from the larger driver to create better timing. I really think people are going over the top saying turning the speaker on its side ruins imaging.
Old 12-10-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Although Patman is technically correct, I agree with Spiky.

It will not really matter.
Old 12-10-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speakers are built fairly tough. You may get some difference in sound this way but, you won't hurt it.
Old 12-13-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did this recently since I found bookcases that nicely hold them while on their sides and I didn't notice any difference in audio quality.