Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panasonic Plasma and TiVo resolution question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One annoyance I've been having with my Panasonic 50px75u involves my Series 3 TiVo.

When I set the TiVo to output in Native resolution (letting the TV convert), there's a delay of several seconds when I start watching content of a different resolution from the one previous. The screen is blank before the show is visable on the screen and I have to hit the replay button a couple times to back up to the beginning when it does finally show up, which is all pretty annoying. But, when I set the TiVo to ouput at 720p Fixed, there isn't a delay.

Considering everything gets converted to a set resolution close to that on the TV (768p) anyway, I guess this is the way to go?

Or is there a better resolution setting to use on the TiVo that won't result in a delay?
Old 12-06-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a similar delay with my Direct TV DVR, I just have learned to ignore it.
Old 12-06-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's doing a digital handshake with the new resolution. Can't really speed it up at this point.
Old 12-07-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. The only way to "fix" it would be to set everything at the same fixed resolution, but then of course all SD stuff would be stretched.
Old 12-07-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Nope. The only way to "fix" it would be to set everything at the same fixed resolution, but then of course all SD stuff would be stretched.
Virtually everthing I record, HD and SD, is OTA digital. So setting the TV to "Full" plays the proper aspect ratio regardless of content.
Old 12-07-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't the S3 have Panel/Full as ratio choices like the original HD Tivos? Panel means SD is not stretched. Seldom do I need to change this setting. HD is always correct fullscreen regardless of this setting, so it can be set appropriately for SD and move on.

I keep my resolution set at 720 to match my TV, I couldn't decide which looked better for 1080 material. Of course, mine doesn't offer Native as an option, so I'd be manually switching, not real interested in that.