Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My new Panny 50PX75U with pics

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-29-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have another thread on here that talks about this...so Mod you can delete that one if its too close..but now I finally got my panasonic 75U Tues and have appreciated the feedback I have received from others in the forum. Here are the official pics so far. I took advice and put my center speaker in my cabinet instead of mounting it on the wall above for now..I think it looks and sounds good.
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Now I have to calibrate it. I have been looking for the Dtl vid essnts disc to use but I'm trying forum members settings first. Its funny I even want to the video store to see if they would have it to rent..guy hadn't even heard of it.

I would like to mount it soon, but for now, getting used to it and breaking it in, so this will do. Looks awesome and is a great set. It was either going to be this or the 77U but I got BB to price match it against sears (thanks 68Shelby) and got a panny upconvert player as well to replace my 7yr old Sony.

Also, I was watching a movie last night and I dont know why, but the sounds (sounded) much more clear... i dont know if it was because I am using a new dvd player instead of my 8 yrd old sony, but even that was using dd and I was still using the dig coax, but I was having a lot of problems with it also..so maybe its just in my mind, but it sure sounded better.. I even noticed more sound coming from my rears where I didnt before.. who knows..

Thanks for the help...
Old 11-29-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see the center just fit.
Old 11-29-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This question is for either DigitalDuck or Chew - you both have the set I'm getting.

It appears there will be a lag time between the set being installed and getting HD Directv. I'll need to temporarily connect the SD signal to the set, and I know there's a side panel w/ a door on the 75U. What inputs are in there?

I'm going to have a couple of HDMI cables (one for the inevitable HD Directv/the other an HD-DVD) and component video (current DVD) run through the wall in preparation for those upgrades.
Old 11-29-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember seeing side inputs, I don't think there are any. But, I didn't mount so everything is plugged into the back and I didn't really look.

Consumer Reports says there aren't any in their review:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...n_hdtvs_ov.htm
Old 11-29-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chew....yup, I was quite happy to say the least! 12thMonkey..haha, I dont remember, but im at work now and am trying to locate a pic online of it..sorry
Old 11-29-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I must be wrong then. Maybe it was on the 77u
Old 11-29-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: calibration, for the first 100 hours, just zero out the main video settings (picture, brightness, color, sharpness, etc). Avoid the temptation to adjust the settings higher for these 100 hours.
Old 11-29-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Beautiful set DigitalDuck! Congrats.
Old 11-29-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Very nice.
Old 11-29-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice. You gonna take the door off to make the speaker easier to use?

Go to Deepdiscount for the disc you want.
Old 11-29-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buckee1, Dvd Polizei, Spiky..thanks. No I close the door when Im not using it. I have noticed a couple of things so far though. I know I still am breaking it in and cant really mess with the settings that much (or shouldnt right now) and am noticing that the black levels arent really back, but it was only after I stopped a movie and the lettrboxes were still there, but the area where the movie was showing was a little lighter...however, the lettrbox area was black, so I know the set is capable of producing dark blacks.

Also now i have 4 remotes and am trying to come up with a solution without buying a universal remote. I know that using EZSync is supposed to be easy, but the panny dvd player wont show up in the ezsync predefined hardware.. just dvd writer or something like that... Im still trying to set it up so I can use my plasma remote for it..that would help..
Old 11-29-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you have to go 3 levels deep into the video settings to change the black level from "light" to "dark". The only input you can't change the black level setting on is the TV tuning input.
Old 11-29-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Patman...thanks for the reminder...ive adjusted every setting and forgot about that one..i was told to leave it on lt. black..or better yet, thats what I keep reading....however, I forgot about that setting as a way to solve it..thanks
Old 11-30-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Yeah, don't worry about the blacks. They should be just fine after you view the first 100 or so hours of "painful" viewing (meaning, I set all my color, brightness, sharpness, etc. to the negative). After this period, you can adjust your blacks and they will look very nice. Also, try to balance out 1.78:1 content and 2.35:1 content so the screen will burn-in consistently. EPSN HD is a perfect channel to let the Panasma rest from 2.35:1 movie.
Old 11-30-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to hit my 100 hours overnight: I know to be smart about mixing up the content thereafter, but I can finally adjust the settings...right?
Old 11-30-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah mine is running at home as we speak wiht everything bumped to "0" and having the break-in dvd running..should give it a good 10 hrs today..do that for the next 10 days... As the Fonz would say "Aaaaaaa!"
Old 11-30-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine has been on non-stop since Monday: either watching TV or playing that disc to get to 100 hours ASAP.

I wanna watch me some Blu-Ray!
Old 11-30-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a question..ok, when I bought my panny upconvert, they guy said I could get $50 off of an HD player if I wanted. I went with the upconvert though becaseu I dont have any HD discs...but since it would still play regular SD discs just not HD..but would the upcovert quality look any better? Should I have gotten that player so i "have one" for down the road? I am not sure if I can tell the difference yet from my old plyaer to this one because I started on an HD tv anyway so my discerning eyes are already tainted so to speak because of the new set. So I guess im wondering if there is anything besides the obvious with my new set/player to make sure it takes advantage of the "upconvert" or do i just have to wait out the breakin and then calibrate it to realy notice a SD/HD difference..?
Old 11-30-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The A2 or A3 will do an even better job of upconverting than anything other than an Oppo (and there's plenty that will say it's even better than that).

If you can afford the extra expense and don't mind jumping into the "war" without a winner: I would certainly say go for an HD-DVD player.

Plus then you can start buying HDDVDs.
Old 11-30-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Digital,

If I remember correctly, there is a $20 off $175 more purchase that includes a DVD player from Best Buy. In-Store use only. Also a 10% off coupon. I am not home right now, but I can see what the coupons state in about 6 hours.
Old 11-30-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chew.. this is going to sound dumb, but still a few days new to the HD scene... what is Oppo..a brand of HD player? Also, so you're saying it might be better to take the panny I have back and look into an HD player..because ill notice a possibly improvement from it? Im not even sure if I notice anythign right now because im using an HD set and upcoverter for the first time..so i hope I have everythign set right to do any upconverting
Old 11-30-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oppo is a brand of upconverting DVD players, generally considered one of the best upconverting (non-HD) line of players. It will not play HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray, it's only for standard DVDs.

http://www.oppodigital.com/
Old 11-30-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the A3, et al, and the Oppo are the best-in-class at upconverting. Now, there are other classes.
Old 12-03-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just bought my 50PX75U on Saturday!

I scheduled delivery for a couple of weeks out because I still have some prep work to do in the room, with regard to waiting for my wall mount/cable order to arrive, moving my surrounds, painting, etc.

Can't wait...
Old 12-03-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Not to crash the Panny bandwagon, but I had the opportunity on Saturday to watch a lot of college football on a 60" Pioneer Elite.

Makes me seriously reconsider buying a Panasonic plasma anytime soon and instead shelling out the extra cash.

Last edited by Superman07; 12-03-07 at 07:38 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.