Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Plasma wall mounts: Room to add cables after it's up?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Bear with me on another dumb question:

I've ordered the Panasonic TH50PX75U, and we're planning to having it wall-mounted.

My question concerns just how close to the wall the mounts are (static, non-tilt, non-extendo) with regard to being able to change video connections after the fact.

Here's a wall mount I'm considering:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=184247

The reason is that it's highly likely that when set arrives and/or the wall mounting takes place, I may not have upgraded to Directv to HD, or picked up that new DVD player.
Old 11-28-07, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you hook and unhook cables to the tv?

When we had our TV mounted, we had extra component and HDMI cables hooked up to the TV and ran through the wall for future components. We have the TH50PX75U and currently have HDMI to our Directv HDDVR and Component cable hook up to our DVD player. We have another HDMI cable waiting for our HD DVD player and another Component cable just in case.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-28-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

12th..I literally just got my Panny 75U last night and its currently sitting on its stand, but was debating wall mounting it but im in an apartment so Im not sure how big the holes would be etc..I know this doesnt help, but just wanted mention that it looks great and would look better on the wall so im thinking about doing that..
Old 11-28-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have large hands and can usually sneak them behind a plasma with flat mount to change wires. With a tilt mount, there should be even more space. I think it depends more on the TV, most plasmas have the connections on the lower part, with a little space, so you just have to reach up and plug something in.

LCD TVs might have less space as they are typically thinner.
Old 11-28-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Might want to dry test it first. Unless it is a swingarm you might not be able to get back there.
Old 11-29-07, 11:44 AM

With our plasma and non tilt mount, it is pretty tight back there.

We just went ahead and ran the cables that we may need, so we didn't have to worry about it later.

try monoprice.com for the wall mounts, they have great pricing
Old 11-29-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Another wall mount question:

I ordered one from monoprice.com for $26.
Seemed fairly standard: flat mount, no swivel/cantilever action. Rated for 165 lbs (the set I'm getting is 86 or so).

Question is why am I seeing regular flat mounts for upwards of $80 and beyond, rated for the same weight/set size?
Old 11-29-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because people like to gouge. $70-100 was original prices for flat mounts a few years ago. But they should have come down by now with so many flat TVs. They ought to be under $50 at least, IMO. I mean at "normal" stores, Monoprice is ridiculously low, of course.
Old 11-30-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Spiky
Because people like to gouge. $70-100 was original prices for flat mounts a few years ago. But they should have come down by now with so many flat TVs. They ought to be under $50 at least, IMO. I mean at "normal" stores, Monoprice is ridiculously low, of course.
Yeah, Monoprice.com is incredible with their pricing. Seemed dumb to spend over $60 when I could get the same thing for under $30
Old 12-02-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Same deal with me.... I don't know if I'll have enough $$ for a new receiver with HDMI, so I might just have to go ghetto style for awhile and run the separate cables... was wondering how easy it would be to get behind the tv. I'm definitely getting a swivel mount so it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

You guys ever heard of yourdigitalelectronics.com? Crazy low prices... on everything. Seems too good to be true, was wondering what the catch was...